• 28 Lewis Taylor

Votes: 146 93.0%
  • 12 Stefan Martin

Votes: 76 48.4%
  • 38 Tom Rockliff

Votes: 134 85.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hamilton's question about turning previous matchups into scraps is one of the dumbest I've ever heard at a press conference.

He's a muppet. The crappy games have mostly been at Metricon in wet conditions FFS.

Bastinac & Walker have seriously turned their careers around.
I PUT THE TURN AROUND IN FORM DOWN TO BIG FOOTY.............WE BASHED BOTH FROM PILLAR TO POST AND THEY HAVE RESPONDED........SAME WITH NROBBO, LESTER, GARDINER AND NOW RICH.....ONLY A MATTER OF TIME TIL WE GET BARRETT TO BE A STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a funny thing to say after a near 10 goal win but I reckon we played better last week. I'm not bagging the boys at all but last week, we took it right to a really good side. But this week felt like the effort wasn't quite there for large parts and, further, we weren't anywhere near as clean with our ball movement.

The best player votes indicates a clear top 3 of Beams, Rocky and Taylor which is about right. For me though, I reckon Harris Andrews was right up there. In the first quarter and a bit of the game, Wright was getting silver service from his midfield and Andrews really limited the damage either with effective spoiling or at least pushing Wright to lead to less dangerous spots. Then he took a couple of intercept marks that are just so vital in modern footy. Defenders often miss the limelight but Andrews' game last night was first class.

I PUT THE TURN AROUND IN FORM DOWN TO BIG FOOTY.............WE BASHED BOTH FROM PILLAR TO POST AND THEY HAVE RESPONDED........SAME WITH NROBBO, LESTER, GARDINER AND NOW RICH.....ONLY A MATTER OF TIME TIL WE GET BARRETT TO BE A STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And don't forget Lester but we have had a few failures: Bewick !!!!!

Interesting comments from Fages about Lewy Taylor.

Described him as an "instability" player which helped us get the ball through the opposition and out the back.

Also said (in general) that he was great to have around the club and was a "joy to coach"

In the light of the turnaround in Lewy's form this season, it seems pretty obvious that the coach has been instrumental in getting some real focus in his game. He's nothing like that guy that was running around in circles for the last year or so, looking like he didn't really know what his role in the side was.

Well done coaches, well done player :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Long time lurker, just wanted to say I haven't been this positvive about the Lions in 10 years and if one more person on social media suggests merging gold coast and Brisbane I'm gonna start snapping necks

Lol.. long time lurker... first time making death threats.. love it.

Last edited:
Great win, you can see our back line is really set for a long period of time together with Andrews, McStay, Gardiner, Mayes, Nick Robbo, Witherden and Rich. Our forward line is starting to take shape with Hipwood, Walker, Close, Schache and Skinner all tall options. I think if we can get Taylor, Christensen,Barrett and Mitch Robbo as hunters on the forward line we start to look electric. You can see our midfield really needing another 2 high quality youngsters to support the Berry, McLuggage, Allison and Cox gets. We need to be hunting a Stevie J or Fantasia type, the highly skilled half forward. Starting to look very exciting.

Agree massively. But our midfield is way out of kilter. If we can, we need to top up on 2 decent mids in the 22 - 25 bracket to set that area in line. Easier said than done. At very least, outside of Bellenden, we need to draft mids in.

Interesting comments from Fages about Lewy Taylor.

Described him as an "instability" player which helped us get the ball through the opposition and out the back.

Also said (in general) that he was great to have around the club ans was a "joy to coach"

In the light of the turnaround in Lewy's form this season, it seems pretty obvious that the coach has been instrumental in getting some real focus in his game. He's nothing like that guy that was running around in circles for the last year or so, looking like he didn't really know what his role in the side was.

Well done coaches, well done player :thumbsu:

Taylor was running around in circles last year waiting for team mates to lead. Now that they do, he doesn't have to run around in circles waiting.

Taylor is a smarter footballer than a lot of people gave him credit for I think. He sees the patterns nice and early and cuts through lines, changes angles of attack. Very hard to defend against yet not really the type to tag out of the game because he doesn't necessarily start the attack but he does link the attack together.

Opposition coaches will hate it in the years to come when he is getting the ball as second or third disposal after a turnover. It will mean the defence is going to have to scramble because things are about to get chaotic for them.

Don't know about anyone else but I am feeling a bit flat after yesterday. I guess there is little enjoyment for me from beating a team on its knees with half the side out. We have been in Suns shoes many times which may explain it.

I agree. Hollow victory. But.. teams coming off coaches being sacked usually come out carefree and full of run. over all, the pleasing thing is, we dealt with a team we should have besten in a mature, professional and convincing manner - which is a key component to the sort of confidence we need to grow during this rebuild.

I hope C Beams and Close hold their spots. Even if it means Bezz and Witho rest another week, we know those 2 are the future - need to get a proper look at the other 2 over the next 2 weeks, plus.. both did enough (just) to warrent it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope C Beams and Close hold their spots. Even if it means Bezz and Witho rest another week, we know those 2 are the future - need to get a proper look at the other 2 over the next 2 weeks, plus.. both did enough (just) to warrent it.

They are both ok but in this phase we want established players or players with significant potential. Close is near his potential, and claye is simply unlucky with injury and not worth the list space. The squad is better off rolling the dice with newbies with massive potential.

Don't know about anyone else but I am feeling a bit flat after yesterday. I guess there is little enjoyment for me from beating a team on its knees with half the side out. We have been in Suns shoes many times which may explain it.

True enough. Although I guess we should be happy our group managed to absorb the early pressure and ramp up the intensity to be very comfortable winners. In the past we may have struggled to get into the game and certainly wouldnt have run away with it like we did.

Its a funny thing to say after a near 10 goal win but I reckon we played better last week. I'm not bagging the boys at all but last week, we took it right to a really good side. But this week felt like the effort wasn't quite there for large parts and, further, we weren't anywhere near as clean with our ball movement.

The best player votes indicates a clear top 3 of Beams, Rocky and Taylor which is about right. For me though, I reckon Harris Andrews was right up there. In the first quarter and a bit of the game, Wright was getting silver service from his midfield and Andrews really limited the damage either with effective spoiling or at least pushing Wright to lead to less dangerous spots. Then he took a couple of intercept marks that are just so vital in modern footy. Defenders often miss the limelight but Andrews' game last night was first class.
I felt the same way. I got a lot more out of watching us push a strong side like the Bulldogs with some real quality ball use and pressure,rather than come out flat as a tack and eventually trounce an under manned bottom of the table side. Glad to get the win,but I didn't get as much enjoyment out of it as I thought I would.

I read somewhere Witho needs one more game in neafl to qualify for neafl finals so best test that hammy in the 2s i think. Not quite sure but its in the memory banks somewhere.

One thing we need to remember is just how short our injury list is this year. In past years it has been horrific and certainly compromised our ability to compete. Talk during those years was that with a much shorter injury list we may well have won another couple of games.

Well here we sit on 5 wins and while we look a much better team, part of me cant help but wonder how much of this is down to our new coaching/admin team and how much is the benifit of a fairly healthy list. Having close to a best 22 available is a massive advantage. Not only do you have the talent on the field but a similar team each week builds continuity and allows you to implement game plans with much more success.

Not saying we havent improved, just trying to temper my excitement a little.

I'll take the not so inspiring win over the honourable loss any day
Obviously a win's a win, but we already know we can beat shitty bottom sides like Carlton and Gold Coast. We've been doing that the last few years while still anchored to the bottom 2 or 3. Matching good sides means we are actually making real progress I think. Still good to see a win, don't get me wrong.

One thing we need to remember is just how short our injury list is this year. In past years it has been horrific and certainly compromised our ability to compete. Talk during those years was that with a much shorter injury list we may well have won another couple of games.

Well here we sit on 5 wins and while we look a much better team, part of me cant help but wonder how much of this is down to our new coaching/admin team and how much is the benifit of a fairly healthy list. Having close to a best 22 available is a massive advantage. Not only do you have the talent on the field but a similar team each week builds continuity and allows you to implement game plans with much more success.

Not saying we havent improved, just trying to temper my excitement a little.

Imo add Bundy, Robbo and an in form Bell* to last week's team and we'd have won.

*I really hope for Bells sake he can get back to career best form. He is bloody imposing when he is going well.

Imo add Bundy, Robbo and an in form Bell* to last week's team and we'd have won.

*I really hope for Bells sake he can get back to career best form. He is bloody imposing when he is going well.

TBH an inform Tom Bell has no place in our best side because I think we'll have better options moving forward. His skills are just so poor.

TBH an inform Tom Bell has no place in our best side because I think we'll have better options moving forward. His skills are just so poor.
I also think M.Robbo will have to use the ball well when he gets back or he could end up in the same pile- normally bombs it long as a first option

I also think M.Robbo will have to use the ball well when he gets back or he could end up in the same pile- normally bombs it long as a first option

M.Robbo to me seems like a much harder player who really cracks in. He's got some enforcer about him which is needed in such a young team. He's a much more valuable player than Tom Bell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21: Brisbane Lions vs GC Suns

Back