Preview Round 21 - Essendon VS Fremantle - MCG - Sunday 4/8/24 - 3:20pm AEST

Should Windyhill go to his sons prelim or Ess vs Freo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

silk

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I’ll be straight.. I kinda stopped caring about this season after the Geelong loss. That game told me everything I needed to know about this team. I watch the games so I write these previews. As far as I’m concerned the absolute best thing that can happen to Essendon this year is for us not to win another game.

Our losing streak is thankfully almost certain to continue next week when we face a rampant Dockers eyeing off a Top 4 spot.. Oh and it’s at the MCG… and a 60% chance of rain..

AD_4nXdzXekulZSsHvY4uiWTP7ZcOv4FQ3lzDnGScDer6mrvq7PlEsGjYfzRhBSOffxZmpqtuv6Tf6aASwWvCfqdhg3_m9xHwyF_8o4-FuURz_GMuclJSEkLJ1zZeU0OFKq8LxWIxt9zSbKzObivpMzBIOmaltjl

<Warning - Rant Time>

Thank you Brad for continuing to play the same old useless players who haven’t let us down time and time again for the last 6 years. I’m sure we can get some more bargain trades like Wright who will overperform for 1 year, have us patting ourselves on the back for how astute we are, and we’ll give them a big contract, and convince ourselves they are the best 22 because of that one game out of 10.

I’m very happy we’ve got the time-proven dream midfield back together of Merret, Parish and Shiel. Such a shame we have had such a massive injury list this year, we just never seem to get a good run at it.

I look forward to you definitely seeing out your contract and extending your coach career by many years and am glad the EFC could help fund your retirement, and your mate Goldstein too while we were at. You join a special group of people including Matthew Leuenberger, Mark Williams, Camporeale, Mal Michael, Tom Cutler, Jacob Townsend, Zac Clarke, Matthew Allan, John Worsfold, Sam Weideman, Craig Bird, James Gwilt, Jonathan Giles, Adam Cooney, Paul Chapman, Hayden Skipworth and Justin Murphy.

AD_4nXefUbJON2ELsLcthv4w1SQ-iLl06AklV5Yshc2TUX7GFBuoNAGJG2Zd6dz7G6bo_NQYVKg8geUkuidC3SR4M3yFG2BbY0pPAkM1chEpNauOZE7N2QQuPMRIxqxRB7Na2rZhBJT9X_lTTvl5tLOMXNXdbzHB

I’ll finish the year out, but I won’t be writing these previews next year and there is a good chance no one else will either, cause frankly none of us care anymore.

The Round Before The Round That Was

AD_4nXeD-coAfuyy4laKCrZclNYu0jamCITkT1UeVQtluC4WUpMB5nyHmdmTWI1Ua_SG5EU7YX-qWz31U1fFf1D4CMLMeQ_5bYLvJmHm65BPMBf-vPW4F62aA5lupMoi6DGZmAKQxmPV_XCOX2xViwFkGYc7-n4

Called it! Shout out to Nifft

ST KILDA 5.1 7.2 14.4 17.6 (108)
ESSENDON 2.3 5.5 6.7 8.7 (55)

GOALS
St Kilda: Caminiti 3, Sharman 3, Steele 3, Membrey 2, Higgins 2, Owens, Butler, Marshall, Wanganeen-Milera
Essendon: Shiel 2, Draper, Durham, Duursma, Jones, Merrett, Stringer

BEST
St Kilda: Marshall, Steele, Wanganeen-Milera, Sharman, Sinclair
Essendon: Merrett, Duursma, Durham, Caldwell

INJURIES
St Kilda: Nil
Essendon: Jordan Ridley (corkie)

SUBSTITUTES
St Kilda: Hugo Garcia (unused)
Essendon: Archie Perkins (replaced Jordan Ridley in the third quarter)

Crowd: 39,761

Dockers play tonight and properly spank the Eagles.

The Last Time We Met

A game that was decided by the quality of each teams possessions out of clearances.. Hmm.. that sounds familiar.

AD_4nXc4aBbIq-Cn-NkbH1_HPN77NxMk5MAVLPpWwEn8r45jytDFNgumx9ii9hCQY4hKE8sf-9zTvKTACZFK4EJKQX6ODDV_qToPhAtnEuOHjkYLRR2V99GmO8br3AkMBnFqKwph0eslNHGtnjaNslhuxwy1n9s

FREMANTLE 3.3 8.7 12.8 14.9 (93)
ESSENDON 2.3 5.3 6.5 9.7 (61)

GOALS
Fremantle: Jackson 3, Amiss 2, Walters 2, Frederick 2, Brayshaw, Johnson, Schultz, Serong, Switkowski
Essendon: Caldwell, Guelfi, Hobbs, Langford, Martin, Menzie, Merrett, Parish, Stringer

BEST
Fremantle: Serong, Jackson, Pearce, Brayshaw, Henry, Johnson
Essendon: Merrett, Martin, Hobbs, Parish, Ridley

INJURIES
Fremantle: Nil
Essendon: Zerk-Thatcher (head knock)

LATE CHANGES
Fremantle: Nil
Essendon: Jye Menzie replaced in selected side by Nick Bryan

SUBSTITUTES
Fremantle: Sam Sturt (replaced Alex Pearce in fourth quarter)
Essendon: Jye Menzie (replaced Nick Bryan in third quarter)

Crowd: 43,063 at the Optus Stadium

The Selection Table

Possible Outs - **** there are a lot of options here now

Wright -
Menzies -
Grasham
Laverde -
Ridley - Inj
Heppell - Make the ****en call already
Perkins - 4 Disposals in a half of footy..
Lagford/Stringer - Can’t play both.. But we keep doing it
Parish - Seriously, does rushing back players every ****en work for us?
Redman - Shithouse all year - Needs to grow his hair back out
Draper - Don’t care what we do.. Need to **** this guy off for a while.. Compare these stats.... Remember when Melbourne didn’t even bother with a Ruck? A completely unready Vigo would offer more than Draper currently.
AD_4nXdSzwTFcD4WQEqaLDaO3tfG8Jv-DPq90CJxWuEq2N0qZZX56gKWAo-QU7Ft47umbOOfSrBIWU5cZPnuNpP8tlbqC5Ec6WHr4ETkjDIupm8lK9JwfmoTJJwTHAhA9h_JY1uDzA-NCKz-RYoef7aOuqUK4Frk

Possible Ins (Updated since VFL game)
Byran -
Hind -
Roberts -
Setterfield -
Tsatas -
Hobbs -
Wanganeen -

My Prediction - God I hope we lose.. Winning would be a disaster for us now. I don’t give a shit about winning a ****en final. I give a shit about building a team that can genuinely compete.

Freo by 37

Last edited:

Swing the axe.

Out: Ridley, Wright, Heppell, Stringer, Laverde and Perkins

In: Hayes, Bryan, Roberts, Davey Jr, Hobbs and Hind.

FB: McGrath McKay Roberts

CHB: Redman Hayes Merrett

C: Duursma Caldwell Martin

CHF: Langford Jones Gresham

FF: Davey Jr Caddy Hind

R: Draper Durham Parish

Int: Bryan Menzie Hobbs Shiel

Sub: Cox (To come on for one of the rucks in the third)

They are playing for 2nd and a home final opportunity

Only way we beat them is if they are slightly off or they kick for sh*t

Draper will get owned by Darcy and Jackson

Their smaller forwards will run rings around us

Fyfe will get rested IMO

Play anyone with heart, spirit and effort who reckon they can run, chase and kick than half the plodders out there will do me

Fremantle by 24 points after easing off in the last quarter

They are playing for 2nd and a home final opportunity

Only way we beat them is if they are slightly off or they kick for sh*t

Draper will get owned by Darcy and Jackson

Their smaller forwards will run rings around us

Fyfe will get rested IMO

Play anyone with heart, spirit and effort who reckon they can run, chase and kick than half the plodders out there will do me

Fremantle by 24 points after easing off in the last quarter
Darcy could be in doubt. Knock to the head.

My interest in this match is at an all time low. Will attend however as I believe if you enjoy the good times then you have to suffer through the bad times.

What sucks about footy now is we arent even going to be able to enjoy the start of next year, because regardless of how we start we will always have the reminder that we can't play out a season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out : Me (managed)
Sadly have to miss the 3.20pm Sunday game due to work commitments.

Id rather go to work than watch us

Least you are being paid to be miserable at work

Among our many problems, my firm belief is we need 3 genuinely quick small forwards. Ones that can put some sort of pressure on that could 1) cause a turnover or at least 2) somewhat slow up the opposition ball movement to at least allow our sub-par transition defense half a chance to get back. Actually having some nous and creativity to kick a goal would be good, too.

I’m confident in saying we’re playing zero guys that fit this description at the moment - and might go as far as to say we have zero guys on the list that do this. Which is incredible when you think about how the game is played currently.

Kako might be one. Pinning our hopes on a guy not even on the list yet feels like a real Essendon thing to do. But still, we hope.

I want 2 more. And I think Jayden Davey has the best potential profile to do it. It seems his pressure has been almost non-existent in the vfl side this year for the most part - be interesting to see whether this is a lack of fitness, or a lack of intent/desire to do so. Possibly both. Regardless, he appears to at least have a couple of tricks as a small forward which we desperately lack.

I’d play him the next 2. And sure if he blows up halfway through the 3rd quarter from having no tank, so be it. It doesn’t matter at this point, half our team wasn’t running halfway through the 3rd quarter yesterday anyway.

But give him a taste against freo at the mcg and Gold Coast at Marvel. Dont throw him to the wolves in the last game against Brisbane at the Gabba where it is going to be 179-53. Give him a somewhat genuine taste.

Oh and Roberts just has to get a game. Getting silly now.

Last edited:
Hopefully Sydney & Adelaide have done the right thing by us and we remain in the 8...for now...!!!
Really need more effort than the last few weeks and I think its time to blood a couple of youngsters and freshen up the team

OUT: Ridley, Perkins, Menzie
IN: Hayes, Hobbs, Roberts

Team;-

Hayes McKay Redman
Martin Lav McGrath
Cox Durham Duursma
Stringer Jones Parish
Langford Caddy Gresham

Draper Caldwell Merrett

Bench: Shiel Hobbs Roberts 2MP
SUB: Heppell

Essendon FC Melbour

Among our many problems, we firm belief is we need 3 genuinely quick small forwards. Ones that can put some sort of pressure on that could 1) cause a turnover or at least 2) somewhat slow up the opposition ball movement to at least allow our sub-par transition defense half a chance to get back. Actually having some nous and creativity to kick a goal would be good, too.

I’m confident in saying we’re playing zero guys that fit this description at the moment - and might go as far as to say we have zero guys on the list that do this. Which is incredible when you think about how the game is played currently.

Kako might be one. Pinning our hopes on a guy not even on the list yet feels like a real Essendon thing to do. But still, we hope.

I want 2 more. And I think Jayden Davey has the best potential profile to do it. It seems his pressure has been almost non-existent in the vfl side this year for the most part - be interesting to see whether this is a lack of fitness, or a lack of intent/desire to do so. Possibly both. Regardless, he appears to at least have a couple of tricks as a small forward which we desperately lack.

I’d play him the next 2. And sure if he blows up halfway through the 3rd quarter from having no tank, so be it. It doesn’t matter at this point, have our time wasn’t running halfway through the 3rd quarter yesterday anyway.

But give him a taste against freo at the mcg and Gold Coast at Marvel. Dont throw him to the wolves in the last game against Brisbane at the Gabba where is going to be 179-53. Give him a somewhat genuine taste.

Oh and Roberts just has to get a game. Getting silly now.
In spades. We have nobody outside the contest or at the fall of the ball with speed. Been banging on about it all year.

Can't believe Hind can't get a good go in this team.

We have gone too tall with no run which is compounded because our talls can't seem to take a contested mark. If our talls were clunking everything this may work but it has backfired spectacularly.

Add the fact that the Davey's haven't come on it is our major issue. We need to target 1 established gun small forward IMO. If it was me I would target Bolton from Tigers to mentor Davey twins on what it takes.

Menzie, Gresham and Guelfi are B graders at best.

Got a feeling the 2 200cm wingmen only work for novelty value, sure you get a marking mismatch or the odd goal out of it but they get burnt on transition. Get Roberts on one side, Duursma on the other and gut run back and forth like every other teams wingmen. Jones can play high hf to bail out mark up the fat side channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back