Round 21 - Freo v Essendon an the G

Remove this Banner Ad

WAnchor

All Australian
Aug 15, 2009
Never There
AFL Club
Fremantle
A few weeks' ago a mate and I booked tickets to fly over for our Round 21 game. With Carlton v Collingwood on the night before, it's gonna be a cracker of a weekend. Given that our next away game is against the Hawks in Tassie, I'm hoping there will be a good contingent flying over for Round 21.

First time I've flown over for about 10 years. Any tips on a great spot for a few drinks and lunch before the game? Possibly somewhere that will have a few Freo fans in attendance? Really keen to soak up the vibe...

A few weeks' ago a mate and I booked tickets to fly over for our Round 21 game. With Carlton v Collingwood on the night before, it's gonna be a cracker of a weekend. Given that our next away game is against the Hawks in Tassie, I'm hoping there will be a good contingent flying over for Round 21.

First time I've flown over for about 10 years. Any tips on a great spot for a few drinks and lunch before the game? Possibly somewhere that will have a few Freo fans in attendance? Really keen to soak up the vibe...
We found a great group after the Melbourne Vs Freo game last year at The Rooftop Bar of The Imperial, although meals weren't great here so we ended up eating in China Town.

our go to for lunch is The Meatball and Wine Bar

They often have lobster sliders as a market special

We bought tickets that were up in one of the tiers, but found heaps of free seats around the cheer squad

We found a great group after the Melbourne Vs Freo game last year at The Rooftop Bar of The Imperial, although meals weren't great here so we ended up eating in China Town.

our go to for lunch is The Meatball and Wine Bar

They often have lobster sliders as a market special

We bought tickets that were up in one of the tiers, but found heaps of free seats around the cheer squad
Ta 4 that. I will suggest that to my mates
For MCG games we have gone to the Duke of Wellington (Duke of Freo) on Flinders St or the Corner Hotel in Richmond.
I met Tom Emmett's dad before he had debuted, last year at the Corner Hotel. Nice bloke.
We tend to eat & have a couple of drinks pre-game & then go dry during the game.
I concur with the seating advice. Nosebleed tickets, but mosey on down to near our cheer squad for a great atmosphere.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Always loved the Young & Jackson for prior to a game, otherwise the Duke.

There was an old school pub on the other side of the MCG that was good for a rowdy drink after a game too (The Royal?).

You picked a great round, I wanted to head over for that one too but family life got in the way.

Always loved the Young & Jackson for prior to a game, otherwise the Duke.

There was an old school pub on the other side of the MCG that was good for a rowdy drink after a game too (The Royal?).

You picked a great round, I wanted to head over for that one too but family life got in the way.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm intrigued by The Royal. It sounds like a, er ... titillating 'old school pub', with its website promoting it as "Melbourne's oldest and only public bar which has topless barmaids and erotic entertainment 7 days a week for your viewing pleasure". And to think, it's located in Richmond...

I just hope it's the footy that presents as the climax of the weekend away...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm intrigued by The Royal. It sounds like a, er ... titillating 'old school pub', with its website promoting it as "Melbourne's oldest and only public bar which has topless barmaids and erotic entertainment 7 days a week for your viewing pleasure". And to think, it's located in Richmond...

There’s The Spread Eagle in Richmond too lol

We are going over for that weekend too
And much the same haven’t been to Melbourne for about 13 years

Did you get tix for the pies / blues game night before?
We got nose bleeds

Very excited

Not sure how we are going to do the wining and dining
Definitely going to the Young and Jackson

I’m with my wife and mum so the tittie bar might be off limits unfortunately 😁

Oh it was pretty much a dive bar, as far as I'm aware there weren't any skimpies post game but it was packed like a tin of sardines with the beer flowing freely.

We got nose bleeds

Very excited

Yes, also got tickets for the game the night before. Going to be an insane w/e. Super keen

We got nose bleeds

Very excited

if you do get stuck for a place to eat, that's warm and dry, there's an Italian place inside of Crown that's not bad. Of course there's always China Town and Lygon Street, depending on where you are staying.

if you do get stuck for a place to eat, that's warm and dry, there's an Italian place inside of Crown that's not bad. Of course there's always China Town and Lygon Street, depending on where you are staying.

I’m worried I’m going stack it on over there
I was hoping on surfing the wave pool for a bit of a novelty and some exercise but it’s closed that month ( not that disappointed though. I heard the water is bloody freezing during winter !)

Just have to do lots of walking and yelling 😁

I’m worried I’m going stack it on over there
I was hoping on surfing the wave pool for a bit of a novelty and some exercise but it’s closed that month ( not that disappointed though. I heard the water is bloody freezing during winter !)

Just have to do lots of walking and yelling 😁
we did some ridiculous number of steps when we were last there - I love that it's the kind of city where you can walk and never notice just how far you have gone!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am going to same games, plus one more.

Should be great weekend, may be Pendle's 400th as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back