JohnK

All Australian
Aug 11, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
port adelaide sometimes
Neil Craig coached at AAMI stadium for the first time in Round 14, 2004 as caretaker coach for the Adelaide Football Club. His opponent on that day was Melbourne and Craig’s men had a 72-point victory (22.13-10-13).

Craig coached at AAMI Stadium for the last time on Saturday 24 August, 2013 as Adelaide played its last match at that stadium before its move to Adelaide Oval for the 2014 season. This time, Craig was the caretaker coach of the Melbourne Football Club and his charges lost by 68 points (7.10-18.12).

Here are some snippets from the press conference.

John Kingsmill [Footy Almanac]: Neil when you began as a coach at AFL level, you were regarded as one of the pioneers in the sports science field. That term has been trashed right now…

Neil Craig: Yep! Well, not for everyone but I understand what you are saying.

JK: … Should sport scientists be accredited and would you like to redefine the role of science in sport?

NC: Ahh… mmm… it’s a good question. There isn’t an accreditation process for sport scientists at the moment. There should be a process involving checks when people get employed in football clubs, now, and not just for sport scientists. I think new processes will be for anybody, now, who comes into a football club. Redefine it? I don’t think you need to redefine it. That’s up to each footy club and how they actually view sports science.
The Essendon situation is really interesting. I don’t want to share a personal opinion on it but what I do know is that when everything settles down, it will be a great case study for concepts of leadership, player welfare, individual rights, media accuracy, trust, conflict of interest… It will be a fantastic case study and what it has already done, John, when it first started back in February of this year, was to immediately put every club on notice.
A lot of good will come out of this case in spite of it being a bit distasteful at the moment.

Michelangelo Rucci [The Advertiser]: Five or six years ago, you told us that this issue in cycling was a consequence of money pressure to give a return to vested interests. Hasn’t footy gone down the same path?

NC: No, no. There had been a culture inside cycling for a long time, Michelangelo. I think this whole thing needs to be put in perspective at the moment. I mean, I’m not trying to be flippant with that answer. If there were no sport science, we’d have no rule changes. Do you like the rules at the moment? Do you like the centre square or the diamond?

MR: You put it out to us that once sponsors started putting in big money, they expected a return. To get that return, won’t footy clubs take short cuts, and breach their own ethics?

NC: It’s not just about supplements. It’s a bigger concept than that. You are always under the pressure in the way you conduct your business. And the bigger the stakes are, it becomes the ultimate test for any footy club. That’s why the Essendon situation will be good for the game because it will make people take stock in all sorts of ways.

-o-

JK: Neil, when you with Adelaide, a premiership was within reach. Now that you are older and wiser…

NC: Some people would not agree with that, John…

JK: … are you content to be a developmental coach, or do you still have that burn in your belly to win a cup?

NC: I think you are always developing. I remember vividly during my time in Adelaide when development became the buzzword. I remember when Simon Goodwin came to me as a senior player and said: “What about my development?”
When you talk development, the immediate picture people have in their heads is the development of young players of which we have a significant number and we will continue to get more. I understand that concept and that’s really important what you’ve asked but it’s also about team development. It was a great example in today’s game that team development had little to do with youth. Team development is about discipline, playing within the rules, to no give away free kicks off the ball. Team development is about grit when you are in winning positions in away games.
Every footy club should be aiming to win a premiership to enable their players, support staff, management, supporters, sponsors and members to experience the ultimate because it’s fantastic.

MR: Neil, can I throw that same question in another way. At Adelaide, we understood that your ultimate goal was to be a premiership coach and that’s the way it should have been. At Melbourne, though, would that be your goal? You’d have a different perspective and a different understanding?

NC: Than to be a premiership coach? It’s really interesting, Michelangelo. The club should never shy away from that…

MR: I mean that at Adelaide, you faced make or break years. The club had to win a flag. I’m not suggesting that you should put a limit on what you can achieve at Melbourne but a premiership wouldn’t seem to be within your immediate reach and I wouldn’t have thought that a lack of a premiership there would break you.

NC: No. It will never break me because I have been involved in premierships as a player and as part of support staff at SANFL and AFL level. But it’s an important goal to aim at because every player craves to experience the absolute joy and excitement that it gives people. And if I get involved at AFL coaching again, I’ll always have that picture in my mind. That’s important. That always has to be there. My motive at the moment, with this particular club, is my passion to develop people, to develop them as young men and as leaders. That’s where I get my excitement from and everything else will flow from there.

-o-

JK: Do you enjoy the Victorian culture?

NC: It’s fantastic, John. The culture here (in South Australia) is fantastic as well. The SANFL has a big, long, significant history and I really enjoyed it… but Melbourne is a great city to live in. You can go and watch live footy which you can’t do here, as a coach, on a consistent basis.
The scrutiny in Melbourne is just as intense as it is here but you have more clubs than Adelaide. It’s fairer over there to share the workload. So, yes. My family and I have really enjoyed the city of Melbourne and the Melbourne Footy Club.

JK: Do you swap notes with Mark Williams?

NC: I don’t know if I have ever swapped a note with Mark Williams, John. I don’t know if that’s ever going to start. What do you reckon, Michelangelo? Can you see that happening?

MR: I don’t think I’m the right person to ask anymore, am I?

NC: Aren't you still a Port supporter? Have you jumped off?

MR: I live and die by Port.

NC: OK.

[MUCH LAUGHTER.]

thanks for posting.

Neil has certainly become very good at obfuscating the issue. He was already very good at it in his later years at the Crows but in charge of the debacle that is the Melbourne Football Club, he has taken his skills to a new level.

Thank you John for what you shared. Neil is still a proud South Australian who hasn't forgot the trouble MR caused.

He was spot on about what can be learned from Essendon..

Now being touted by the Fairfax press as a serious chance for the Brisbane Lions coaching job....

Obvously the AFL will pay out the 12 months he has still to run of his contract on behalf of the DEES...o_O

He would have been viewed very differently on this board if he had a bit of luck in 05/06 and won back to back premierships (or even 1). We honestly had rotten filthy luck

As much as I feel for us not winning a flag in 05 and 06, I feel for Craigy he (we) had a bad run of injuries if you call what happened to Roo an injury F**** parvo virus. Thats just f**** up.

MR: I live and die by Port.

[MUCH LAUGHTER.]

Not that I didnt know this before, but admitting that you live and die by Port will always make me very very skeptical about anything he writes about the Crows from now on. His mission would be a successful Power and a basket case Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I didnt know this before, but admitting that you live and die by Port will always make me very very skeptical about anything he writes about the Crows from now on. His mission would be a successful Power and a basket case Crows.

By implication, you are saying that if you support one team you are thereby disqualified from commenting on any other team. Is that it, Grotto? Do you disqualify yourself, too?

His exchange with michaelangelo was just like the good old days!

Still love Neil, should've been a premiership coach!

I still love Neil, too. or, rather, I still think he has much to give to the AFL.

I wonder, though, whether his coaching options are running out. He could be a tagteam coach for Brisbane, maybe, with Simon Goodwin as his deputy with a one or two year passover. But I don't think that's likely.

Neil Craig is a fine human being with a deep understanding of the game. I'd like him to stay involved somehow – umpire director, or youth development director or something like that.

Any thoughts?

Maybe he could chair an AFL subcommittee to examine and define the role of sport scientists in the AFL and construct their accreditation system.

thanks for posting.

Neil has certainly become very good at obfuscating the issue. He was already very good at it in his later years at the Crows but in charge of the debacle that is the Melbourne Football Club, he has taken his skills to a new level.

And, moogerfooger, you are very good at maintaining a cynical sharp-edge view of nothing. Craig has been a servant of two AFL clubs and has performed sometimes difficult tasks to the maximum of his abilities. Obfuscating the issues? What do you mean? That he should dump on his players or dump on his boards? He has always remained loyal to his players and he has always spared his boards of any criticism. Is that Craig obfuscating or is that Craig merely respecting his opportunity to perform at an AFL level?

Say what you mean, moogerfooger. Don't stand on the outside and snipe. Anyone can do that.

And, moogerfooger, you are very good at maintaining a cynical sharp-edge view of nothing. Craig has been a servant of two AFL clubs and has performed sometimes difficult tasks to the maximum of his abilities. Obfuscating the issues? What do you mean? That he should dump on his players or dump on his boards? He has always remained loyal to his players and he has always spared his boards of any criticism. Is that Craig obfuscating or is that Craig merely respecting his opportunity to perform at an AFL level?

Say what you mean, moogerfooger. Don't stand on the outside and snipe. Anyone can do that.

Its not clear, to me at least, how these traits mark him out as different to 99% of other coaches?

Having grown up with Neil's # 7 on my back as a Sturt supporter and being an admirer of his as Adelaide coach, its very disappointing to see him devolve from a guy almost universally regarded as refreshing in his press conferences in 2004, to one who now dodges almost every issue. He is always going off on unrelated tangents, diverting attention form the real issues. He started doing it as Adelaide coach in 2010 and 2011 and he's still doing it today. Its insulting to the supporters of whatever club he's involved in and unfortunately he's not very good at it - he usually makes it more obvious what he's trying to avoid answering.

Fair enough - every coach does it to some degree. But Neil wasn't like that once. Once upon a time he had integrity and was happy to share a big picture view of the game. He was happy to be a leader in the game. Now he's just another career coach, shuffling from one club to the next, trying not to say anything interesting or remotely controversial.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 22 – Neil Craig, home for a day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back