Review Round 22, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

But today's preso is complete bottom of the barrel and just flat out an incorrect reading of the game . He carried on as if the deliberate free had some impact when it had no impact whatsoever ,we didn't score ,they got possession back.

Really disappointed in his whinging and will be more so if the media is prepared to swallow it.
Still soaking it up & processing all the positives from the game. Just saw Scott. Hilarious! When questioned on the topic, he said he didn't think Charles Cameron had a big impact on the game. He then invited journalists to enlighten him if they thought he was wrong. Where's the press member with the fortitude to say "Chris, both teams kicked 10 goals. Charlie kicked 5, that's half of their goals.................are you feeling OK Chris?"

Anyone else think the call was great? that main caller was awesome.

Also notice how Roos and Lynch spared us the usual dribble we get when comments people think no one is watching? They defs put more effort in when its a big game.

Roos still called 4-5 Lions frees into question and not once for a bunch of dubious Cats frees but he was tolerable.

To be fair- he did mention that they got some calls go there way. As much of an admission as he’ll give that they kept Geelong in the game

He does that everytime though. Spews his BS for 10 minutes then puts a little 'let me be clear' caveat moment on the end as if to balance or negate his own comments. It's disingenuous.

He bags the umps, all week, no end.. then says - 'let me be clear.. its a tough job'. If its a tough job.. get over using your position of influence to bag them every chance you get LOL.

Also notice how Roos and Lynch spared us the usual dribble we get when comments people think no one is watching? They defs put more effort in when its a big game.

Roos still called 4-5 Lions frees into question and not once for a bunch of dubious Cats frees but he was tolerable.

I think it's Roos who was all over that lady behind the goal posts.. "oh she celebrated, she cried, oh she thought he'd miss but she forgot the banana kick from Charlie.. oh there she is".. cringe.

The non-ex-player commentators at the moment are killing it. Speed and Papalia are both very listenable.

I remember Roos calling out the two Berry incidents (high contact, stupid "ran too far" call) and two "should have been 50s" (kicking the ball away, giving the ball back to the wrong player) precisely because it felt relatively unusual to hear him do so.

Yeah when Roos was focussing on a tough deliberate call against the cats a few seconds after Cameron was body slammed when the ball was nowhere near him was very annoying

It is kind of entertaining that some rusted on rugby league supporters, now forced to observe the Lions to be part of Monday morning conversations at work, are having to admit that AFL often has a lot more exciting moments and sporting drama than the very predictable hit up - hit up - hit up routine that comprises much of NRL in this era. Someone, a lifelong Broncos tragic, commented that NRL actually seems quite slow and very dour compared to AFL when switching between the two. The ball moves quickly and from moment to moment the game can swing as each team gets opportunities. He surprised himself at how enjoyable it is.

Inevitably, once people step back off the bandwagon (hopefully not for a while), many will ignore us again. But if three out of ten become genuine long term fans and one of those becomes a member, we become permanently relevant and a force in Queensland sporting politics.

Even outside AFL circles, in one day, Linc’s mark and goal and Charlie’s electric pace are already becoming part of the small talk of Queensland.

As has been said, Marcus Adams was brilliant yesterday and he was ably supported by Andrews and Gardiner, but I think it is worth pointing out how much Alex Witherden has improved and what it means for our team. His decision making and commitment in physical contests have been fantastic since the bye and while he may fly under the radar at times, he is a key contributor to our side’s success. Everyone will always remember McCarthy’s screamer and goal when they reflect on the game yesterday, but I liked the fact that it was Witherden who sent the ball inside 50 and he didn’t just blaze away, he deliberately gave the ball plenty of air and put it perfectly in the ‘hot spot.’ Loving your work Alex Witherden.

I haven’t had a chance to read the thread yet so I am sure this has already been mentioned but how much of a sore loser is Chris Scott?
Mentioned in his presser that they were the better team all day and controlled the game and of course should have won!
A good part of the stats were in our favour and all bar a 5 minute patch at the end of the 2nd quarter it was mostly a pretty even game.
He also mentioned the draw again and that we had had a pretty easy run to this point of the season and not much of a chance to play the top teams.

He did mention that we were a good team though! Thanks for that Chris!

Anyway, what a game!
Was the perfect ending, with Linc the one to win the game in the end with a roof blowing off Mark and Goal, if of course there was a roof on the Gabba there would no longer be.
Like the storm that blew a bit of the roof off the Gabba back in 2008.

Chris Scott's press conference was hilarious... Said that Charlie didn't have a huge influence on the game lol... let's hope he actually believes that and doesn't make any adjustments if we play them again
They had a plan for Charlie. As you obviously would. It didn't work . Not a big enough man to say my plan didn't work today.

I note Cam and Dan had 2 kicks between them . You can spin it whatever way you want but that's not a lot of kicks for 2 of your forwards who get up the ground . It shows that we have plenty of improvement in us if they can find some form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speed is a seriously good caller across a lot of codes. His call yesterday was more of that and was topped off with mccarthy’s mark.

Just so exciting to watch this side play. There’s a toughness about them which should hold them in good stead in 3 weeks.

Being a player down probably cancels out our home field advantage.

I think our midfield depth plus playing an actual ruckman was very influential. Also Cameron kicking 5 and Hawkins and Ablett not kicking any.

Being a player down probably cancels out our home field advantage.

I think our midfield depth plus playing an actual ruckman was very influential. Also Cameron kicking 5 and Hawkins and Ablett not kicking any.
I also think we'll be a lot better for that hitout played in a finals like atmosphere. Some of our guys seemed to struggle a little with the mental pressure stakes particularly early with lots of fumbles some fairly woeful disposal and hesitancy when going forward. The guys in the backline were excellent from the beginning. Adams was like a rock early ,Harris likewise ,Dizzy the usual ,Rich the usual , and Witherden didn't make one blue all day.

A lot has been written about our attack and the options we have ,but the above is the basis of our team right there . If they hold strong then we're hard to beat against anyone . How many times did the Cats get the breakaway only to be thwarted on the last line . Just a rock solid defence . Bar a few stray kicks . Dizzy's last kick in straight to Dangerfield had me hyperventilating. We could have made a better contest there

If Chris doesn't think Charlie was influential in a game where they gave up a 3 goal lead late in the 4th to lose by a point then good luck to him. But if 5.2 from a small forward is "not much of an influence" then I do wonder what he makes of Hawkins' 0.2 output then.

We were actually down to a 1 player bench at a point in that game too. With Bundy's pinged hamstring, Gardiner off with the shoulder issue and Mitch Robbo was off for a bit with a hip niggle. Oh and we didn't skulk off to the shade at the quarter time break. I did have a laugh when I heard the crowd on that side of the ground lace into the Cats for that.

OH. MAN. WHAT. A. GAME.....just had some ice cream to ease the soreness....the way the Gabba went off when Linc marked, just.....speechless.....off topic but the number of newborns I saw at the game dressed in geelong colours was weird. Do our supporters not bring their bubbies to the footy?

It is kind of entertaining that some rusted on rugby league supporters, now forced to observe the Lions to be part of Monday morning conversations at work, are having to admit that AFL often has a lot more exciting moments and sporting drama than the very predictable hit up - hit up - hit up routine that comprises much of NRL in this era. Someone, a lifelong Broncos tragic, commented that NRL actually seems quite slow and very dour compared to AFL when switching between the two. The ball moves quickly and from moment to moment the game can swing as each team gets opportunities. He surprised himself at how enjoyable it is.

Inevitably, once people step back off the bandwagon (hopefully not for a while), many will ignore us again. But if three out of ten become genuine long term fans and one of those becomes a member, we become permanently relevant and a force in Queensland sporting politics.

Even outside AFL circles, in one day, Linc’s mark and goal and Charlie’s electric pace are already becoming part of the small talk of Queensland.

There will always be a lot of older league supporters who will bag out AFL every chance they get but I suspect more and more will convert to AFL.

I feel lucky in that I am a fan of both the Lions and Broncos. The whinging about umpiring in AFL can at times be legit but at least they usually try to appear to be unbiased and competent.

Everything the NRL does is incompetent, backward and most frustratingly, inconsistent.

This is starting to turn fans away from the game. I think the Lions got more to a home game this weekend than the Broncos did, that tells you a LOT.

This team is not only winning, they are playing a very hard, attractive style that suits league fans a lot.

Yeah when Roos was focussing on a tough deliberate call against the cats a few seconds after Cameron was body slammed when the ball was nowhere near him was very annoying

Some of his comments can be annoying and frustrating, but I just cannot dislike the man. Was my absolute childhood hero. Ran with the mullet and the number 1 on my back for years. Will always love Roosy. Just like when JBerry makes a mistake, for some reason I find myself making excuses for him, as my man love always outweighs the frustration haha.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Back