Review Round 22, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ten years ago, I took my two/three year old to Lions v Hawks at the MCG complete with pusher. It was pretty tight to start with then Buddy kicked late goals in a couple of quarters & the crowd went off. My little fella sat with head down & ears covered. It wasn't a particularly pleasant experience for that young child. I said at the time "Never again! Imo taking a baby is not a good idea & to do it without ear plugs for them could be harmful to the child. Maybe our supporters are simply more switched on in regards to "times to find a babysitter" events.

FWIW we brought our girl along at 2.5 months. The timing of games makes it a little tricky at times but she handled it like a champ. I was also concerned about the noise factor but it appeared to be a non issue, she tended to sleep through at least one of the quarters each game.

These days, she's now 2 years and a few months, and is fanatical. Yesterday's probably the first game I've seen her not really enjoy the noise, mostly because of how quickly we went from ambient rumble to instant yelling - but once she was able to see our faces and the expressions of those around us she was cheering and clapping along.

I still feel a little squeamish about real little freshies coming along to games you know are going to be super loud.

** GRATUITOUS CHILD SHOW OFF WARNING **

This was her yesterday after the final siren.

IMG_0297.JPG

Rewatched this morning, those goals before half time seperate the teams and then we just kept coming in the last and took our chances through the middle. IMO Lyon was the difference in that last patch and without that we lose. Any posters about Fagan going over the top are silly IMO, haters gonna hate. Great mark and goal by Linc, Charlie is amazeballs, Adams was huge all game and best of all we stood up when it counted. Will be some very sore boys this week!

WOW!

Took some time to gather my thoughts from yesterday as I made my way through the game threads and post game thread. That was stunning. I don't feel like I've ever had this sort of emotional investment in the club.

I have to say, I thought we couldn't win. It seemed like Geelong kept getting out to a three goal margin, and Geelong are so well structured defensively, I thought that sort of margin was too much to overcome. But Charlie Cameron! How can you not love him. He is extraordinary. He is such an enigmatic player, a complete one off.

I thought Lyons stepped up the most when we had to make a final push to win. Our best midfielder yesterday. Marcus Adams intercept marking was extraordinary. He's gotten better and better every week.

Linc McCarthy was having a real stinker, but when he flew and took that grab, the jaw dropped and the body had an involuntary break dance. He converted and the hairs on the arm stood up. What an unbelievable way to win.

Christensen missing the second half, Robbo and Darc carrying knocks, in hot conditions, with only a few minutes left and a three goal margin to overturn, and the lads dug deep and got it done against top of the table. Unbelievable. The scenes at the end were nearly enough to bring a tear to the eye. Hugs all round.

I do get the nagging feeling that we just played our final a little bit too early, and that we may have run our race early. Winning the flag, or even making the final now, on the back of such a winning streak could be difficult, I don't know....but whatever happens from here, I won't be complaining. This season has been a wild ride. One that's been truly wonderful to be a part of. There's good things ahead for this group.

a) Always felt we could pull off a victory. Needing 3 goals in the last quarter, I was geeing up the kids saying it felt like the Port game & we can do it again!

b) You'll be instantly more relaxed by letting go of that nagging feeling. I don't think it's justified. By no means was yesterday "our Grand Final". The game was the first in a number of challenges ahead, which the Club are embracing; one week at a time 😁

Rayner might not be playing well, but he's the type of player who can win you a game. The gap between his worst and best is a worry, but I wouldn't be dropping him these late in the season. No one in the reserves has the upside that Rayner has. I would be rolling the dice on him. Wouldn't mind Cox or Corey Lyons coming in for Christensen these week.

Well said.

FWIW we brought our girl along at 2.5 months. The timing of games makes it a little tricky at times but she handled it like a champ. I was also concerned about the noise factor but it appeared to be a non issue, she tended to sleep through at least one of the quarters each game.

These days, she's now 2 years and a few months, and is fanatical. Yesterday's probably the first game I've seen her not really enjoy the noise, mostly because of how quickly we went from ambient rumble to instant yelling - but once she was able to see our faces and the expressions of those around us she was cheering and clapping along.

I still feel a little squeamish about real little freshies coming along to games you know are going to be super loud.

View attachment 729311
Nice post, thanks for sharing your experience & thoughts as a parent. Great to hear your experiences were not as bad as mine. Big tick for the gratuitous child showing off; I'm sure that photo would go great in a frame somewhere in your home or at work.

Anyone notice Adams knees give way every time he kicks ?
No. I noticed he kicked one floater & I think he scrubbed one too. His field kicking earlier in his career had always been fantastic. Since he came into the side, I noticed his field kicking started well below par for his high standards. I've also noticed his field kicking has improved weekly, as has his field positioning & strong marking. The guy is a registered weapon.

It is kind of entertaining that some rusted on rugby league supporters, now forced to observe the Lions to be part of Monday morning conversations at work, are having to admit that AFL often has a lot more exciting moments and sporting drama than the very predictable hit up - hit up - hit up routine that comprises much of NRL in this era. Someone, a lifelong Broncos tragic, commented that NRL actually seems quite slow and very dour compared to AFL when switching between the two. The ball moves quickly and from moment to moment the game can swing as each team gets opportunities. He surprised himself at how enjoyable it is.

Inevitably, once people step back off the bandwagon (hopefully not for a while), many will ignore us again. But if three out of ten become genuine long term fans and one of those becomes a member, we become permanently relevant and a force in Queensland sporting politics.

Even outside AFL circles, in one day, Linc’s mark and goal and Charlie’s electric pace are already becoming part of the small talk of Queensland.
Good comment.

My opinion on it has always been that AR has much higher highs, but lower lows. RL very much has a case of you know what you are going to get going on with it - and if that is something you like to see (high impact hitting) then it will be a good sport for you. Frankly, I don't like that sort of thing. I enjoy the chaos and the highs of AR more than the organisation and consistency of RL. I would rather watch a game of RU, as it operates in a less repetitive fashion than RL imo.

Also feels to me like the AFL is supremely better run than the NRL, but again that might just be my personal bias.

Am I wrong in thinking we were the ones who outplayed Geelong? The stats suggest we were slightly ahead in an arm wrestle but Chris Scott, in his arrogant belief, thinks they dominated?

To me it seemed that quick burst of goals just before HT gave Geelong the only sort of lead for the game and our burst of goals at the end of the game gave us the lead, just happened to be when it mattered. It also felt like we struggled to convert but had more opportunities. On another day, I think we blow them away in the third, like we have to many teams this season.

Would love to play them in the finals, easy win. They are the biggest pretenders of the top 4 and everyone knows it.
Disagree they are not easy or pretenders, but they are beatable. They wobbled, but so did we, plenty of upside for both teams.

My most vivid memory of the Scott brothers is completely poleaxing someone ,taking their head off and riding them into the ground from behind with an elbow raised for good measure and when the ump blew the whistle for a free standing there with there arms outstretched and an incredulous look on their face as if some great injustice had been done.

Some of the stories about them when they were playing as schoolkids are legendary with some parents refusing to let their kids take the field against them.

So yeah . I loved them when they played for us but the truth is they're nasty , and Chris' mealy mouthed psycho whinging on 360 as if he's the nicest guy who ever lived is a bit hard to swallow

Sound like the Kray brothers of footy

Ten years ago, I took my two/three year old to Lions v Hawks at the MCG complete with pusher. It was pretty tight to start with then Buddy kicked late goals in a couple of quarters & the crowd went off. My little fella sat with head down & ears covered. It wasn't a particularly pleasant experience for that young child. I said at the time "Never again! Imo taking a baby is not a good idea & to do it without ear plugs for them could be harmful to the child. Maybe our supporters are simply more switched on in regards to "times to find a babysitter" events.

I'm definitely taking earplugs to the next game, after the game yesterday I had sensory overload from the noise and it was a bit upsetting, especially when you're supposed to be happy after a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 729311

Our daughter was two when we started going and crowds were low and we lost a lot so not a lot of noise. We used to lie a fleece on the concrete under the seats and she’d fall asleep on it. Best little kid ever!!

The others never slept - just whinged instead. They were the other end if the spectrum.

Adams performance was an eye opener for a few on here. Has the pace and judgement to zone off their biggest gun and the agility and strength to get back and thwart him in the air.

That's gold .

As far as Charlie goes I have to disagree ,he was hugely influential .

Was driving earlier today listening to SEN, they said they are surprised by Scotts comments as 5 goals kicked by Charlie from the 10 in a winning score was very influential..

Stupid Scott, common sense if Charlie hadnt kicked those 5 we would've lost.....so yes he was influential alright.

Silly narky person he is.

I am loving the Marcus Adams love on here. He's definitely the new Patfull, and I think it's amazing. He can only go up from here!!!
We chose the $10 Membership add on & one son received a Lions Birthday card signed by Adams. In a tiny way, we wanted him to feel some supporter love. I showed the kids Adams WAFL & Bulldogs highlight reels last year when he was drafted & we were bullish that he would become a star at the Lions. Adams has had an unusual journey. He's had a stint playing Rugby (league?), a brother who suffered serious injury from a coward punch, footy injuries to deal with & he never settled in at the Dogs. He has said at the Lions he's the happiest he's ever been as a player & is now starting to show just how good he is. We can't wait for him to kick his first goal for the Lions & see the players get around him.

Commentary of Moorcraft's mark over Linc's, 2001 style. Courtesy of Exambolor on Reddit.

Highlights how good Bruce used to be and how he is past it now.

How much has Gary Abletts form slipped inrecent years. Yestetdays game was tailor made for Gaz, in years gone by he would have taken control and broken the game open.

Is there a way to watch the replay other than the afl app/website?
Kayo, there's a deal on at the moment if you sign up for free with BetEasy (free, you can skip the credit card details and deposit page), and you can get 3 months free of Kayo's standard subscription. I'm not due to pay for a month of Kayo until November now.
I also unsubbed from everything BetEasy are sending me, I've no intention to use it ever.

Pressure points aren’t the same as pressure acts. Clug had 27 acts which is still a massive effort and 3rd best for the game

That makes more sense and as you say still impressive.
He’s going to be one of the biggest stars in the next decade. So glad he’s ours and our club has it together and is a good place for footy star.

Was driving earlier today listening to SEN, they said they are surprised by Scotts comments as 5 goals kicked by Charlie from the 10 in a winning score was very influential..

Stupid Scott, common sense if Charlie hadnt kicked those 5 we would've lost.....so yes he was influential alright.

Silly narky person he is.
Probably still salty from the "miracle on grass" game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Back