Review Round 22, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

On the Geelong board, apparently we are all calling them cheats, haven't seen anyone do that yet

They also have that Melbourne supporter and Footy75 (Carlton supporter) who show up on all the opposition review threads and shit talk Brisbane. Also apparently the heat was the reason why we won.

They need friends.

Rayner might not be playing well, but he's the type of player who can win you a game. The gap between his worst and best is a worry, but I wouldn't be dropping him these late in the season. No one in the reserves has the upside that Rayner has. I would be rolling the dice on him. Wouldn't mind Cox or Corey Lyons coming in for Christensen these week.
I’m very surprised we are persisting with Cox.

Well that's a nice way to wake up in Nashville before I go on a morning coffee (or something that resembles coffee) hunt. Thank goodness I'm ba for finals. Can't believe I missed that game.

It may be Nashville but still have a full english, Elvis would've done the same.

Classic game, to be able to turn it around and open the game up, to score those 3 goals in the last 10minutes was epic.

The first time I’ve went into a game against decent opposition, expecting to walk away with the win. Knew it was an important game but liked some of our matchup, Stef vs Blitz, Charlie is always dangerous, Hipwood had the mobility to worry their defenders (obviously not his day) thought Harris would have taken Hawkins and Adams could help out, worked out different but heaps better than expected.

Scott’s pressers was a weird one. Charlie wasn’t the difference, Cmon, he kicked 5 and could have easily been a couple more. Adams and Lyons would be the only others that could have a claim to that.

I know Stef and Neale rightfully get the credit for a couple of great clearances, but the team setup and working for each other is outstanding. With Neales goal, Duncan starts on Berry, who goes onto lay a soft block on O’Connor to free Rayner, Rayner then blocks Neales players, Neale runs into the space with Duncan out of position and flat footed, throw in the great pick up and a bit of Candy and it’s a thing of Beauty.

My highlight would be seeing **** on the ground, think it was with Harris. Great to see him getting genuinely excited. It was one of those games that left me really pumped afterwards, started pacing the house, then had to go outside, awesome feeling

The biggest concern (other than the injuries) is that in the last few weeks we seem to be getting reamed in centre clearances. It hasn’t really mattered against lower ranked teams but against the good ones we have to be better there.

Our forward line would be one of, if not the most dangerous in the comp right now, give them a chance and pump it in there to those one on ones from those clearances, and good luck trying to go with us.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said to my mate late in the last quarter it was like in Rocky 1 where he gets belted for 13 rounds and then he gets told to switch to Southpaw-we hit the corridor and BANG!

Similar to Mal Michael back in 2000 in terms of being a missing piece of a puzzle

I thought the very same thing but we don't have our Martin Pike or maybe Robbo is our Pikey.

Geelong, last year, had a problem scoring and they delisted their second and third highest goal kickers. This year they have put together a potent forward line but they are still very Hawkins dependant. Ask any Geelong supporter who is the player they cannot afford to lose and they will all say Hawkins.

If you have said before the game that Adams would thrash Hawkins I would have said Lions by plenty. Our backline stood up (except for that burst before half time ) but we were beaten badly out of the centre and only Charlie looked like scoring.

Has anyone still got a lid?

I'm off to buy the Herald Sun and The Age. I still have all the after Grand Final ones for 2001/2/3.

Good article, if only all game reviews were written with such detail and impartiality to call things how they see it, unlike the fluff pieces that 98% of the supposed journos go with.

There were two passengers out there today. One managed to get dangerous at times and kick a couple of goals. His name is Esava Ratugolea.
The other is xxxxxxxxxxxxx who did a hell of a lot of bugger all in this game, and is the sort of player that could cost Brisbane in a big final. He had one more touch than Allen Christensen, who didn’t play at all in the second half.
But surely his defensive pressure was good, right? Nope. One tackle to his name.

Here is his opinion on Cam R. Ratugola played on the best key defender in the game.

The reveiw is well worth the read.

Ill admit I do have concerns we'll try and carry Rayner through the finals when his output may not reflect what he does...But Im willing to back in the coaches. He had a few goes last year to win a game for us and didnt quite pull it off, and Im not sure what it would do to him mentally if that happened in a finals match with a GF on the line but time will tell.

I was always fairly confident actually. Half time we ran over to the German Club and my mate was cursing etc and I was just calm, weird! Don’t get me wrong the last quarter started to get a bit stressful but just expected us to come back at them. What a morning to wake up to, sore head and all.

On the Geelong board, apparently we are all calling them cheats, haven't seen anyone do that yet
Aww...has someone given them hurty feelings? Screw them. Great win Lions. I’ll be barracking for you guys to go all the way (unless by some major miracle we get there)

Last edited:
View attachment 728903 For the Victorian members, Lions make it to Number 1, no mention in the local paper, they report on an NRL match in Canberra and the Cricket yet ABC online carry the story on its front page. One day AFL will be relevant again in Queensland. For those 33,000 odd supporters there today - we know how great we are. View attachment 728903
I think we're finally relevant? Here's today's Sunday Mail:

Look at those numbers - Lions pages 92 - 93, Broncos, 90-91, Union 84-85. Much further away from the Greyhound form guide! o_O

Last edited:
Yep,like others wonder if I’m in a dream....16 wins and top of the ladder. Wow!

Sat in that Carlton game when we lost it in the second half and felt gutted. On the way home I remembered being at the Carlton game in 2001 when we got flogged at Princes Park. We turned it around after that and went onto win the premiership. Wondered if that could be an omen.

Just so proud of the players and club. What an amazing year. Looking forward to Sunday’s game. Normally sit in the AFL but going with a MCG member and hoping to sit near the race to win or loose to thank the fellas for an amazing year.

How lucky have we been as supporters ! 16 wins, top of the ladder!
Go lions!!!!!!

Some points from Fagan's press conference.
  • it was a tough game. At ground level you could really feel the intensity.
  • the game could have gone either way. We toughed it out, never gave up, kept in it. Finally got on top of contested possesion in the last quarter.
  • sometimes we weren't brave enough. Geelong's pressure was good.
  • last weeks preparation against the Suns wasn't ideal. Some our players were getting run down early thinking they had more time, but we adpated as the game went on. Some lack of composure, etc. but lots of things we can take away and learn from.
  • it was a really good practical learning experience for the players on what finals intensity is like. It's one thing to talk about, now they've experienced it.
  • Adams was outstanding. He has been growing, now starting to slot into the group.
  • Linc didn't have a great game, but had a great moment. Fagan made the comment that players can be down and still find a way to influence the game and contribute - don't give in, keep grinding away. Today was a great lesson in what can happen if you do that.
  • the crowd were awesome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Back