Review Round 22, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Incredible. TBH, I thought with 7 minutes left it was all over. I had resigned to the fact we weren't going to win. These Boys just believe they can win.

3 players down for 10 minutes in the third, players injured. Incredible moments.

Cats are VERY good defensively they stymied us all day, full credit to them, they really blanketed us all day. what a tough opponent.

Still can't believe I am sitting here a winner.

I have to say, I was very vocal about Adams on here. His profile wasn't huge coming up here. Had to believe a lot of supporters thought he was NEAFL depth or that Lester should play ahead of him. He is a All Australian quality defender when up and going (said that when we traded him and got SHOUTED DOWN - LOL).

LOVE THIS TEAM!.

LOL @ Chris Scott, crying about the deliberate out of bounds for 2 minutes, what about Danger non in the back that nearly resulted in a goal with 1 minute left? way more important.. our player literally didn't touch his back. Back handed comments about our draw not allowing us to be tested, f*** outter here, we just played 5 of 7 games on the road and won them all. Tool. The down playing Charlies goal saying he didn't have a huge impact, sad little Man.

Jesus, that's disgraceful.
It was, mate. This bloke had been sledging Charlie and then got the shits when Charlie kicked his fifth. Just a poor specimen of a human. Same guy yelled out “go **** yourselves Lions” when the Cats got 3 goals up. Quality bloke.

Incredible. TBH, I thought with 7 minutes left it was all over. I had resigned to the fact we weren't going to win. These Boys just believe they can win.

3 players down for 10 minutes in the third, players injured. Incredible moments.

Cats are VERY good defensively they stymied us all day, full credit to them, they really blanketed us all day. what a tough opponent.

I have to say, I was very vocal about Adams on here. His profile wasn't huge coming up here. Had to believe a lot of supporters thought he was NEAFL depth or that Lester should play ahead of him. He is a All Australian quality defender when up and going (said that when we traded him and got SHOUTED DOWN - LOL).

LOVE THIS TEAM!.

LOL @ Chris Scott, crying about the deliberate out of bounds for 2 minutes, what about Danger non in the back that nearly resulted in a goal with 1 minute left? way more important.. our player literally didn't touch his back. Back handed comments about our draw not allowing us to be tested, f*** outter here, we just played 5 of 7 games on the road and won them all. Tool. The down playing Charlies goal saying he didn't have a huge impact, sad little Man.

Yep, the greatest bit was him saying Cameron didn't have much of an impact. Just 5 meaningless goals where both sides kicked only 10 each hahaha.

It was, mate. This bloke had been sledging Charlie and then got the s**ts when Charlie kicked his fifth. Just a poor specimen of a human. Same guy yelled out “go fu** yourselves Lions” when the Cats got 3 goals up. Quality bloke.

Yuck. Shit blokes shouting stuff is just something I expect at that footy and generally don't care but throwing beers at children because of a tantrum is disgraceful. I would hope and expect anyone doing that gets thrown out immediately.

LOVE THIS TEAM!.

The backhanded comments are just bizarre. Saying we haven't really been tested against quality opposition? Wut? There's ****ing one round left, Scotty. We've played everyone bar Richmond at least once.

He really wasn't that bad guys.

I'm not saying he was ranting and raving but he got into a little spat with a journo within the first 2 mins of the presser. Its not that different from his general demeanour to be fair, but that's because he whinges like no one else in the media.

Very good coach, of course.

The backhanded comments are just bizarre. Saying we haven't really been tested against quality opposition? Wut? There's ******* one round left, Scotty. We've played everyone bar Richmond at least once.
Let's just take it as a compliment. By that logic - the only quality opposition there can possibly be are us and Richmond.

Chris Scott still a Lions fan deep down ;)

I'm not saying he was ranting and raving but he got into a little spat with a journo within the first 2 mins of the presser. Its not that different from his general demeanour to be fair, but that's because he whinges like no one else in the media.

Very good coach, of course.
He was just in denial, not having a flat out sook (like Brad would have done).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He virtually said we r crap and they were sooooooooooooo unlucky

His salty behaviour is embarrassing and disrespectful, he has issues with giving credit. Even on 360 he spoke us down and made several loaded comments about an easy draw. Funny thing is, their draw has been better than ours since round 6 LOL!!. I'd hate to have to sit there and listen to him after each game. Actually shocked he didn't start up for 3 minutes about scheduling a 2:15pm game in the Brisbane winter.

Sorry to intrude on your awesome win against thoughs Handbaggers.
What Fages has done to the Lions is awesome playing attractive footy which is why I want you guys to take the premiership this year., you now see why he was highly rated at the Hawks.
Stars on every line.
I'm cheering for the Lions and hope Hodge gets another medal.
Go Lions.

Our more even spread of quality ended up working out over Dangerfield trying to single-handedly drag the Cats to the win. I'm so glad we could get out of our heads to regain composure in the second half especially after the end of the second term. Two hours later and I am still shaking and dumbstruck.

we really want the Tigers to win. If they win against Eagles, we can lose next week and hold onto top 2. Tigers would have to beat us by 50+ points to catch up percentage, assuming their game with WC is tight.

Just watched Scotts presser as I wanted to get a vibe for it for myself, very disappointed in his sarcastic, ungracious, dismissive attitude toward us. Wake up and give some credit to the opposition Scotty you whinging salty individual.

It was pathetic. It was like Tiger from the mid to late 00s (deal with it Elixuh )where he would basically only attribute the loss to individual failings and totally ignore any opposition strengths. Did our own coach take anything away from Carlton after they won against us despite us controlling the game for a half and leading by 6 goals? Classless.

Congrats on the win again it was nice seeing the mutual respect show by the supporter base all week on both boards

It’s a pity to see us being call cheats and other s**t too

Hopefully you have a good final but I leave very bitter after the lack of respect shown

Are you serious Mate? 'Respect' gets shown on other peoples boards when you are visiting their threads, the only one not respecting that code is you.

what gets said in the heat of the moment on oppo game day threads is no ones else's business and is not directed externally in anyway. Especially if it's a couple of fans venting about umpires. Plus, even if we called The Cats or umpires 'cheats' how on earth is that directed as Cats fans anyway?

Get a grip. There was a mutual respect shown between both sides, it was an enjoyable Bigfooty week.. don't come here with your (disguised) salty attitude and try and start shit.

Couple hours later and I'm still buzzing. What a ride this club has taken us on this year. Every week is something special - something to be cherished. We refuse to give up. Even in the third qtr when we were down to one player on the bench we were working harder and digging deep. In the end our hunger for the contest and ability to run harder and for longer got us over the line

The Cats will say the heat was a factor and I'm sure it was but no one uses the weather as a factor when we play in freezing wet windy conditions in Ballarat - Launceston or dare I say it Geelong.

Lyons was immense yet again especially in the second half. Neale lifted big time as well in last 30 mins. Adams gave Hawkins a bath. Harris was so good with the intercept marking. So glad Darcy Gardiner got back out there. Tough as nails Dizzy. Hope he is fine to play next week.

Charlie Cameron tore them to pieces and I thought we looked so much better when got it to him quickly. First half we played into Geelongs hands by moving it slowly and allowing them to set up with 15 defenders!

I said in the preview thread Geelong leave teams in the game even when they're on top due to the defensive style they adopt. They were well on top most of the day but the demanding defence first game plan means they don't score heavily and the players are looking exhausted by the last qtr.

Finally special mention to Hugh McCluggage who was so good at releasing the ball in tight spaces. Has magical feet and hands. Just got Champion written all over him. So lucky to have him at our club.

Great day for our club.

Scipio Africanus, the Third I think, (I have a Scipio Africaueus T shirt, commemorating the Great Scipio) used to say "Carthage must be destroyed", something like "Carthage est delargo", every time he rose to speak in the Republican Senate before he spoke to what ever issue was being debated. I have had too much Wynns Black Label to look up the quote.

There are three question about Raynor

1 Are we close to a premiership?
2 Is Raynor playing well?
3 Could anyone else in the Twos play better in his position.

My answers are

1 Yes
2 No
3 Could anyone play worse?

Christensen will miss (our docs are only human ) but Raynor has become a liability. We have won our recent games easily which means it is easy for your poorer players to contribute, but today, against the cream, he was found wanting. It doesn't mean he will turn out a dud, but it does mean we heed to look further to ensure our best chance of a premiership.

A question: If Bastinac comes in for next week does anyone think that Raynor will play a better game than Bastinac?

Repeat same question for four or five other reserves players.

The last is a bit harsh, but he rarely got the ball and when he did he wasted it up big time

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Back