Review Round 22, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Scipio Africanus, the Third I think, (I have a Scipio Africaueus T shirt, commemorating the Great Scipio) used to say "Carthage must be destroyed", something like "Carthage est delargo", every time he rose to speak in the Republican Senate before he spoke to what ever issue was being debated. I have had too much Wynns Black Label to look up the quote.

There are three question about Raynor

1 Are we close to a premiership?
2 Is Raynor playing well?
3 Could anyone else in the Twos play better in his position.

My answers are

1 Yes
2 No
3 Could anyone play worse?

Christensen will miss (our docs are only human ) but Raynor has become a liability. We have won our recent games easily which means it is easy for your poorer players to contribute, but today, against the cream, he was found wanting. It doesn't mean he will turn out a dud, but it does mean we heed to look further to ensure our best chance of a premiership.

A question: If Bastinac comes in for next week does anyone think that Raynor will play a better game than Bastinac?

Repeat same question for four or five other reserves players.

The last is a bit harsh, but he rarely got the ball and when he did he wasted it up big time
Rayner might not be playing well, but he's the type of player who can win you a game. The gap between his worst and best is a worry, but I wouldn't be dropping him these late in the season. No one in the reserves has the upside that Rayner has. I would be rolling the dice on him. Wouldn't mind Cox or Corey Lyons coming in for Christensen these week.

The last is a bit harsh, but he rarely got the ball and when he did he wasted it up big time
And yet without him we also would not have won, as he was a key linkup in two scoring chains when we finally went up the middle as the only player that seemingly was willing to venture into the centre square instead of crowding the boundary. Go figure.

Congrats guys, where is the harmless Brisbane I know and love. Today was serious, you can look over your season who you beat and when and it did not necessarily indicate you were this good. I am sure you were all in the dark over just what this team could achieve, hope rather than expectation ... well you don't need to wonder anymore, you just took out one of the serious players at the knees with Geelong. In 2017 I lived in hope rather than expectation ... welcome to the pressure of being a genuine premiership contender.

Looking forward to next week.

The chanting, the singing, the atmosphere. I was there for the miracle on grass, this was just as good. We, the crowd were going off, best Lions, Lions, Lions chant and the best Brisbane, Brisbane, Brisbane ever, it was deafening I'm sure it lifted the boys. we are the real deal, the umpires against us, injuries and yet we just kept going. i though we were done when Charlie missed everything with a round the corner kick from the same point he threaded a drop punt earlier but it ultimately didn't matter. Linc's mark was spectacular and the Gabba shook with the crowd jumping up and down. To any supporters that say KEEP THE LID ON - get stuffed. i booked the Melbourne hotel last week, this week I just feel wonderful and will enjoy the AFL media finally saying - THIS TEAM CAN WIN IT.

Really feel sorry for those who get fixated on Rayner and McStay and can't take as much enjoyment out of the game.

I posted on those two at half time but you obviously weren't at the Fitzroy Bowls Club where we were rocking all day; a great game, analysed by a bevy of Geelong supporters and Lions supporters enjoying each others company. Everyone commented on Raynor fumbling (he doesn't watch the ball) on the rare times he got the ball.

Why would anyone rational comment that merely because a poster queries a players performance during a game they could not enjoy the game?

Rayner might not be playing well, but he's the type of player who can win you a game. The gap between his worst and best is a worry, but I wouldn't be dropping him these late in the season. No one in the reserves has the upside that Rayner has. I would be rolling the dice on him. Wouldn't mind Cox or Corey Lyons coming in for Christensen these week.

Rayner had a down game. He is part of a winning formula though and is going no where, nor should he.

Yeah who knows there will always be the 22th best player in the side I was impressed with our pressure all over the ground which ultimately led to our narrow victory and bias aside I know who will be having more joy going forward

Rayner is a legend. Love the kid. Part of a winning formula, unique size, project player in his second year. Best 22 make up everyday of the week, dropping him would be idiotic. Saw him get baked on the phone and ran out and hit about 6 contests in a row. Never stopped trying. Hammo mentioned he ran 50 meters to lay a block that caused a goal for Charlie. That's what epitomises this group.

Hard for a player of his size today, especially when we are so Charlie focused ATM. Leave him in, pump games into him, we are so lucky to have a stringer, degoey style, project player on our team.

I posted on those two at half time but you obviously weren't at the Fitzroy Bowls Club where we were rocking all day; a great game, analysed by a bevy of Geelong supporters and Lions supporters enjoying each others company. Everyone commented on Raynor fumbling (he doesn't watch the ball) on the rare times he got the ball.

Why would anyone rational comment that merely because a poster queries a players performance during a game they could not enjoy the game?

There's no 'o' in Rayner mate. I've let it go for ages but my eye twitches every time I read it. I have problems.

He was quiet again stats wise but still had an impact. No chance he's getting dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch Whatley sit and talk about how Cats threw it away, that the outcome wasn't a true reflection of the game. That they impressed on the road and it didn't hurt their faints chances. Had conditions been different it would have been an easy victory etc.. etc.. his salt will be equal to Scotts.

Had some tears here in Athens. Few locals asked what's up. Told them how beautiful the Parthenon is.

I understand this!

I “watched” (ie. kept hitting refresh on the score and Big Footy threads - streamed vision was hard to find in 2001) the 2001 Grand Final from an Internet cafe in Athens... the locals were very worried about the strange Aussie girl screaming at the computer monitor and jumping around crazily at 830 on a Saturday morning!

Watch Whatley sit and talk about how Cats threw it away, that the outcome wasn't a true reflection of the game. That they impressed on the road and it didn't hurt their faints chances. Had conditions been different it would have been an easy victory etc.. etc.. his salt will be equal to Scotts.
Heard Whately very confident on a Cats win don’t expect any Lions lauding with their 1 point loss

There's no 'o' in Rayner mate. I've let it go for ages but my eye twitches every time I read it. I have problems.

He was quiet again stats wise but still had an impact. No chance he's getting dropped.
I watch too much Starcraft

My lack of in-depth knowledge aside, I think the plan of giving Charlie a lot of room, and it seems there was an emphasis on giving it to a team-mate from maybe 10 weeks ago onwards also affect Rayner more than others.
Sure sometimes Rayner has sprayed it when he's frenetic with a shot on goal, but unlike Lyons who excels at that type of play of setting someone up, Rayner can sometimes overthink. Berry has done the same a few times the last week, Bailey too once or twice.

Love the kid, and he is quite often a part of a nice play that leads to the goals.

A whole slab!

I was jumping up and down like an idiot there at the end, then the siren goes and so do the tears, blubbering like a big baby!

..omg, did not expect to win that.

So bloody proud:hearts::brisbane:
I joined you in the tears. My partner, new this year is following the Lions for the first time, she has not know the pain of continual losses. I jumped, chanted and sung like no one was watching. Then I had tears rolling down my face - we have arrived.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Back