Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of my coaching complaints over the last year or 2 have been addressed slowly which is great. But goal kicking still looks like something we dont put enough effort into.

There are a couple of guys like Linc and Bailey who when in range have fantastic consistent techniques. But then there are a senior guys like Charlie and Joe who despite so long in the industry still look like they make it up every single shot. I dont know how you can get to that point in your career as a forward and not have a nailed down your approach for most set shots. You can just see that they miss a simple shot and heads drop across the park. It plays so much into how the defensive efforts from forwards and mids drop way off as soon as the yips kick in.

Really hope this lazy approach and confidence about basic set shots doesnt keep spreading to the young guys like Morris and Lohman.

I accept this was a bit of a freak game for kicking and on most measures we win that. We have had a massive back end of the year and dropping one now isnt the worst if it sharpens things up again. But it happens too often that we have some of the worst confidence players for goal kicking going around the comp for many years. Too many easy set shots from straight in front just get wasted
Daniher has been ok this year. Charlie is a constant worry. He tenses up when he has to take a straightforward set shot. Often ends up with a non decisive wobbler. Loman and Rayner are 50/50 .Hipwood has gotten better but still has the occasional shocker. Cal you would have to say is reliable. Morris is starting to get the wobbles when he looked like a sharp shooter early on.

It's not just our team . It's rife across the competition . A mental issue because these are full time professionals who have all day to train for goalkicking. Hogan seems to have completely overcome his yips so it's doable with the right mindset.

The loss itself doesn't bother me with regards to the way we played, it's just what we gave up that makes it hurt. I'm not overly concerned with finishing 3rd or 4th (if we can), as we have shown our away form has been good this year.

My only slight concern is how the loss effects the group mentally. Earlier in the year the few losses seemed to mentally get us down a bit and it took a while to get back from that. I worry that the loss on the weekend and knowing we probably gave up the comforts of a top 2 finish might effect the mentality of the group, certainly for next week.

I think we'll learn a lot more about our chances this year against the Pies this week, then anything we can take out of last weekends game.

Most of my coaching complaints over the last year or 2 have been addressed slowly which is great. But goal kicking still looks like something we dont put enough effort into.

There are a couple of guys like Linc and Bailey who when in range have fantastic consistent techniques. But then there are a senior guys like Charlie and Joe who despite so long in the industry still look like they make it up every single shot. I dont know how you can get to that point in your career as a forward and not have a nailed down your approach for most set shots. You can just see that they miss a simple shot and heads drop across the park. It plays so much into how the defensive efforts from forwards and mids drop way off as soon as the yips kick in.

Really hope this lazy approach and confidence about basic set shots doesnt keep spreading to the young guys like Morris and Lohman.

I accept this was a bit of a freak game for kicking and on most measures we win that. We have had a massive back end of the year and dropping one now isnt the worst if it sharpens things up again. But it happens too often that we have some of the worst confidence players for goal kicking going around the comp for many years. Too many easy set shots from straight in front just get wasted

We missed goals from Lohmann yesterday. He has the tendency to bob up and kick those arresting momentum goals usually. Better this game than later, need to feed him and get him going early as once his tail is up - he's one of our best two way runners out there.

Of all the players who have come to Brisbane from other clubs, and/or left Brisbane for other clubs, it would be interesting to look at their goal kicking accuracy at Brisbane vs their other club. Maybe something for post season.

Sorry for the intrusion…. Interesting game with you guys squandering goals like millionaires and us missing the kick-off time by 30 minutes.

Just a question…. What has happened to Zac Bailey this year?

Linc McCarthy is probably the most reliable set shot on our list, has he ever had the yips?

Yes. In 2019 maybe? But since then has been our most reliable.

From memory, in 2019 he was trying to steer a lot of kicks. Fixed it later in the season with a much more fluent motion which he has retained ever since.

Last edited:
I actually thought we did well to arrest their momentum by half way through that second quarter. I think that's something this group has struggled with in the past. If we kicked straight, we win.

The commentators kept going on during the Pies game about how the Pies are the best traveling team in the competition, but what does that mean, they've won like 3 away games this season?

We are 8/11 away game wins so far this season. 6/7 since we got our season going. So finishing third or fourth doesn't really bother me TBH. We are and have been one of the best non-Victorian traveling teams for a while now.
Collingwood is the best traveling team because of the extra work they put into understanding their away game locations. For example, this year they play 10 home games at the MCG just to prepare for the five away games at the MCG.

We missed goals from Lohmann yesterday. He has the tendency to bob up and kick those arresting momentum goals usually. Better this game than later, need to feed him and get him going early as once his tail is up - he's one of our best two way runners out there.
He has completely blown me away with his workrate up and down the ground. Watching him live versus St Kilda it really became clear how many shots he got just from pure work rate up and down the ground. Totally understand its tough kicking when blowing that hard.

But again that emphasises how important that set plan and routine for goal kicking is. Needs to become almost thoughtless in knowing exactly what to do. Watching Charlie change his mind so often is incredibly frustrating.

He has completely blown me away with his workrate up and down the ground. Watching him live versus St Kilda it really became clear how many shots he got just from pure work rate up and down the ground. Totally understand its tough kicking when blowing that hard.

But again that emphasises how important that set plan and routine for goal kicking is. Needs to become almost thoughtless in knowing exactly what to do. Watching Charlie change his mind so often is incredibly frustrating.
Is it worth Charlie just going the snap set shot for the rest of this season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniher has been ok this year. Charlie is a constant worry. He tenses up when he has to take a straightforward set shot. Often ends up with a non decisive wobbler. Loman and Rayner are 50/50 .Hipwood has gotten better but still has the occasional shocker. Cal you would have to say is reliable. Morris is starting to get the wobbles when he looked like a sharp shooter early on.

It's not just our team . It's rife across the competition . A mental issue because these are full time professionals who have all day to train for goalkicking. Hogan seems to have completely overcome his yips so it's doable with the right mindset.
I watched the first quarter on replay and my god it was debilitating…
Our wasted opportunities just killed us. That was a game, like the Carlton one that we should have won comfortably and just wasted. Joe, Charlie, Rayner, Kai, AhChee, Morris and Dunkley all missed very gettable set shot goals. It must be so deflating for the team and coaches. Add Hippy to the team and we are so flaky in front of goal - a real box of chocolates🥲

I watched the first quarter on replay and my god it was debilitating…
Our wasted opportunities just killed us. That was a game, like the Carlton one that we should have won comfortably and just wasted. Joe, Charlie, Rayner, Kai, AhChee, Morris and Dunkley all missed very gettable set shot goals. It must be so deflating for the team and coaches. Add Hippy to the team and we are so flaky in front of goal - a real box of chocolates🥲
It is also amazing that if you squander relatively easy chances how often the other team goes down the other end and kicks a miracle goal... which would make it even more deflating.

Our 30 point lead at the end of the 1st quarter was all but gone after a few minutes of the 2nd.:(

Charlie's first goal was a ripper, he had that run down tackle, was getting involved up the ground then he missed that set shot.

Still can't believe it. Sure he's down on confidence but he should be able to slot those at crucial times

Is it worth Charlie just going the snap set shot for the rest of this season?
Honestly think he is actually better as a straight drop punt than trying to go round the corner. His kicking up the ground is (and has been most of the year) really good. It looks totally mental

Someone voted for the wrong Green

Brisbane v Greater Western Sydney
10 James Peatling (GWS)
7 Will Ashcroft (BL)
4 Darcy Jones (GWS)
4 Brandon Starcevich (BL)
2 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
2 Jesse Hogan (GWS)
1 Toby Greene (GWS)

Looked at some of the stats and still come away thinking it was basically all goal kicking.

We had 19 extra contested possessions and 13 less turnovers. Only lost clearances by 2. Kept them to 39% efficiency inside fifty compared to our 60%. These aren’t really indicators of a team that was outworked at all.

Kicking 1.4 in both the third and fourth quarter while GWS kicked 2.1 and then 6.0 will forever haunt me like the 1.9 against Adelaide in the third quarter last year.

Looked at some of the stats and still come away thinking it was basically all goal kicking.

We had 19 extra contested possessions and 13 less turnovers. Only lost clearances by 2. Kept them to 39% efficiency inside fifty compared to our 60%. These aren’t really indicators of a team that was outworked at all.

Kicking 1.4 in both the third and fourth quarter while GWS kicked 2.1 and then 6.0 will forever haunt me like the 1.9 against Adelaide in the third quarter last year.

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE!

Brain had a game high 11 intercept possessions which is big for someone who hasn’t even hit 10 games. He looked battered near the end and let Jones run off for two goals and that unfortunately was really bad but he was clearly solid defensively up until that point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Back