Review Round 24, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah Chee had 5 pressure acts and 0 tackles, Bailey had 24 and 2

It's good to see those numbers for Bailey. There were a couple of times last night when he looked poor, but I missed some of hard work he does. He went better than I thought.

We're not consistent or have a fit enough list overall to win 4 finals but we could certainly win two.

As long as one of the two is the GF, I'm ok with that

The only way to win a GF is to win all four of our next games (yes I know)

Yep. Happy to steer clear of them. [the Hawks]
Well if we do face off with them we will have the opportunity to break both the GF and Hawks hoodoos in one fell swoop.

How much would it suck to lose two GFs in a row but hey at least we got there.

You never know ... this time it might succeed in toughening them up mentally (as opposed to destroying them utterly)

Can coaches seek a "please explain" from the Umpiring Department?

If so, Fages should be asking for one over the treatment Joe gets week after week.

Seems like a pass in Umpiring 101 requires never paying Joe Daniher a free kick under any circumstances
Should send the umps a video cut of Joe not receiving frees and ask politely for an explanation

This is why I'd love to make him an inside mid bull. Bit like Bont/Cripps. He is awful at a set shot. looks like he is falling over every time over reaching for it.
I think it has spread across the team now. When Morris first came in he made the most of every opportunity and even when dropped back to the VFL he kicked 4. They all have the yips it seems, Jo, Charlie, Rayner, Bailey and he was our good one. McCluggage has started to nail them admiringly of a low base. I can't think of a single player I'd want kicking for my life at the moment - maybe Zorko.

We have two week to get the confidence back so we will see what Fagan comes up with.

I was reading about a really good golfer, who started his warm up with around 30 cm putts that were so simple to get he would knock every one in, over and over. When asked why he did that he said he wanted to hear the noise the ball made falling into the cup every time so when he got out on the course, no matter where he was on the greens he could just imagine his putt going in and making that noise.

It's a mind thing, not a skill thing, maybe as soon as someone has a set shot one of our other players immediately goes over and just says, "mate, just imagine the crowd when this kick goes over the goal umpires head".

It's different, but what ever we are doing, time to try something else.

Tackle numbers still very low across the team. Dunkley 8, Answerth 4, Ashcroft 3, everyone else below that.

Pressure rating for the game : Lions 150 Bombers 166.

Team isn't stacking up to be worthy of a deep run come finals. Here's hoping a different team shows up from next game onwards.

Essendon doing a heap of uncontested marks is going to keep pressure numbers down. Still a lot of work to do there though.

I'm going to go against the grain here I think a few 50/50s went against Joe but hardly as bad as some of the comments here are suggesting.
2 blatant chop of the arms went against Joe. These were not 50/50. They were 100% 2 free kicks to Joe. Only way you could not have paid them is if someone had a vendetta against him. They were blatant. I can bet my bottom dollar Charlie Curnow would have received both these free kicks without a doubt in the world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon never seriously looked like challenging us, and we should have sunk them comfortably if we kicked a little more accurately. Not particularly worried about this one, as last game of the year happy to bank the win and wrap up 5th spot at this stage.

Will need to sharpen up come finals, but for the most part they have in the last couple of years, so backing in our experience at this point of the season now. Charlie seemingly to get some form back is a huge plus coming into finals as well, as he can be a huge weapon he haven’t really seen much from this year.

one positive of last few weeks is ashcroft's form, reckon this kid is set to explode in 2025. forgotten in that rubbish 22 under 22 thing, will remind the comp why he was considered worthy of pick 1 in that draft. is quite amazing in terms of finding space and popping up consistently for the short kick option. Post ACL injury he has really lost penetration on his kicking and I was not one bit surprised that he didn't make the distance with his kick for goal that went OOB on the full. Hopefully, this part of his game will be right for 2025.

This is inexcusable from the umpires. Disgusting.

That was a goddam disgraceful call against Rayner - just appalling umpiring.

I thought Zac Bailey showed some good signs of getting back into form.

Liked Noah Answerth's game, will be vital when and if we come up against elite small forwards in finals.

Changes >

Ins- Brandon Starcevich, Jack Payne, Bruce Reville(sub).

Outs- Darragh Joyce, Conor McKenna, Harry Sharp.

FWIW just be done with it and get rid of the sub in 2025 and go with 5 on the bench.

I thought Zac Bailey showed some good signs of getting back into form.

Liked Noah Answerth's game, will be vital when and if we come up against elite small forwards in finals.

Changes >

Ins- Brandon Starcevich, Jack Payne, Bruce Reville(sub).

Outs- Darragh Joyce, Conor McKenna, Harry Sharp.

FWIW just be done with it and get rid of the sub in 2025 and go with 5 on the bench.
With those changes, it’s about the best team we can put on the park at the moment.
Only hope that Payne comes back with a chip on his shoulder after missing out on the Prelim and Grand Final last year and is straight into some strong form.

Joe daniher.jpg

Hows this for gutter journalism. Joe disrespected and hurt the feelings of the media when he did his usual self and ran around the guard before the banner, and then to run that headline with a photo of Sam Landsberger misleading that he had somehow done something regarding Sam and his death. Not even a mention of Sam Landsberger in that article.

View attachment 2090704

Hows this for gutter journalism. Joe disrespected and hurt the feelings of the media when he did his usual self and ran around the guard before the banner, and then to run that headline with a photo of Sam Landsberger misleading that he had somehow done something regarding Sam and his death. Not even a mention of Sam Landsberger in that article.
What a disgrace

View attachment 2090704

It is obviously one of Joe’s Joe things.
Because he does it every week.
It’s been brought up on the Roar Deal a few times over the last few weeks.

View attachment 2090704

I think this might just be a case of the wrong image coming up with a story. I don't think they're trying to draw a link at all.

I think this might just be a case of the wrong image coming up with a story. I don't think they're trying to draw a link at all.
Either that or intentional just to create clicks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 24, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Back