Review Round 24, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Either that or intentional just to create clicks.
News Corp may have just about the lowest ethical and moral bar of any organisation on the planet, but even that would be too low an act for them I think.

I get frustrated during the game with the umpires too . But the next day I'm always umpires have the worst job. It's hard, they make many more decisions than the players and players make mistakes.

Attracting new umpires is hard. By the time they have done a few years at local level they have already copped more abuse in their workplace than most of us will have in lifetime.

They know they are going to be abused st AFL level even if they get 99% of their decisions right. So the ones who make are mostly invulnerable to outside criticism. That's a small pool of available people.

Umpires are reviewed after games but not by emotional fans who hurl ugly abuse. They restrict the coaches taking about it because if they do it's ugly fan pile on and it will drive umpires out of the game. We need them.
Giving them excuses.

They are completely bias against Joe and Charlie and some of their decisions and own confirmation biases are appalling. Yet on the other hand, the Daicos brothers, Pendlebury apparently do no wrong.

And no doubt your attitude towards the umps is the same as the AFL, no repercussions, no learnings, just allow it to keep happening.

Well they DID create a link between the two so what you’re saying is that you don’t think it’s intentional, which is fine too…and yeah, I can imagine that they’ve got more important things to think about but what was your rationale for thinking it was an accident?

I get frustrated during the game with the umpires too . But the next day I'm always umpires have the worst job. It's hard, they make many more decisions than the players and players make mistakes.

Attracting new umpires is hard. By the time they have done a few years at local level they have already copped more abuse in their workplace than most of us will have in lifetime.

They know they are going to be abused st AFL level even if they get 99% of their decisions right. So the ones who make are mostly invulnerable to outside criticism. That's a small pool of available people.

Umpires are reviewed after games but not by emotional fans who hurl ugly abuse. They restrict the coaches taking about it because if they do it's ugly fan pile on and it will drive umpires out of the game. We need them

Nonsense, have you seen the pressure 15-16yos are under to get your order right at fast food joints?

The AFL can pay umpires more if they want to attract more but don’t give me the puppy dog sympathy routine…get it right or **** off!

This is inexcusable from the umpires. Disgusting.

Exactly…if the umpires refuse to pay 4-5 sodas all within 20m from goal that they ARE paying at the other end, then that creates an ‘inaccuracy’ perception

Yes we are missing some shots we should kick but that doesn’t explain why we’re not getting the ones we’ve earned, often from point blank range

I honestly believe the maggots were point shaving last night…the decisions made once we were ahead of the spread (37-ish) stood out

I challenge anyone who wants to disagree or LOL at this post to re-watch and account for every decision from the point we were 40 pts ahead

This is what betting does to sport…

only thing cited for the match was the Kelly kick on Hipwood.

Ended up only being a fine...
Figured on that one, was pretty low impact but they don't want it to happen.

Giving them excuses.

They are completely bias against Joe and Charlie and some of their decisions and own confirmation biases are appalling. Yet on the other hand, the Daicos brothers, Pendlebury apparently do no wrong.

And no doubt your attitude towards the umps is the same as the AFL, no repercussions, no learnings, just allow it to keep happening.

Thanks for doing my thinking for me 😆

Like I said there are reviews and the umpires are shown their errors so yes plenty of learning.

What's your solution to get umpires into the league? Obviously going after then with a big stick is part of your approach. Do you think there are loads of umpires waiting in line and you just sack every umpire who makes mistakes?

You seem anti learning so without reviews how do you improve umpire performance? Yell at them and wave the big stick?

Last edited:
Giving them excuses.

Umpire rage in action. This is totally unacceptable. Vitriolic outbursts and umpire blaming can contribute to a culture that results in injuries to umpires. Without them, we do not have a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpire rage in action. This is totally unacceptable. Vitriolic outbursts and umpire blaming can contribute to a culture that results in injuries to umpires. Without them, we do not have a game.

This it textbook gaslighting…the idea that you you can’t criticise umpiring in what amount to highly subjective judgement calls is absurd 😂

Like I said there are reviews and the umpires are shown their errors so yes plenty of learning.

What's your solution to get umpires into the league? Obviously going after then with a big stick is part of your approach. Do you think there are loads of umpires waiting in line and you just sack every umpire who makes mistakes?

You seem anti learning so without reviews how do you improve umpire performance? Yell at them and wave the big stick?

Pay them more so that the temptation of taking money for point-shaving is less tempting

I feel like the midfielders were trying desperately to find easy shots at goal but Charlie and Joe insist on running towards goal instead of double back to lead up. Once they realise there is no easy pass, midfielders panic and go the long over the top. By that time there is no room between the goals and the forward and it is spoiled through.

Either Joe and Charlie become a bit more predictable for the mids or we go the long kick to space straight away.

I'm going to go against the grain here I think a few 50/50s went against Joe but hardly as bad as some of the comments here are suggesting.

The problem is the quality of the frees. Not paying two obvious ones like 5m out in the context of the game is worse than missing 5 frees up the ground

This it textbook gaslighting…the idea that you you can’t criticise umpiring in what amount to highly subjective judgement calls is absurd 😂

I think you’re talking around each other a bit.

Gadzorks is talking about vitriolic abuse and umpire blaming. You’re talking about criticising umpires.

Umpires shouldn’t be a protected species and should be open to criticism and consequence for poor performance like any other job. But some of the stuff that is screamed at them every week at the footy is way over the line.

I think if we were building footy culture from the ground up again, we might want there to be a bit less of what goes on each weekend in terms of what is directed at the umpires. I don’t know how you fix it now.

Paying them full time seems like a good start to maybe help attract umpires to the profession and raise the standards.

Pay them more so that the temptation of taking money for point-shaving is less tempting
There's a world of difference been incompetence to bias and on to corruption which is what you're implying.

I think we are all very aware that the umpires adjudicate to enhance the theatre. We are always the dominant team at 3Q time but because we cannot put a big score on, it allows them to pay 50/50 calls to the underdog. It’s not just against us, happens to good teams weekly to ensure the game is competitive.

There's a world of difference been incompetence to bias and on to corruption which is what you're implying.

It’s unfortunate there is such a recent example of umpire corruption lol.

I think the Carlton Saints game is a great example. Carlton were on the favourable end of an 8-0 free kick count in the last. It wasn’t to say that they weren’t there but there were plenty of frees that went unpaid to the saints. I think it boils down to crowd noise + the umpires are human and know that it’s Carlton playing for their season against 14th and any call that goes against them may be heavily scrutinised. Whereas no one cares about the saints.

Flogg them I say.
angry homer simpson GIF

Last edited:
My grandson is an umpire in his first year of officiating. The amount of abuse he receives in some, not all, games is beyond ridiculous, often from ignorant parents with little grasp of the laws.

Fortunately my grandson is mostly deaf to the rants.

Imho the most difficult rule is the htb and prior opportunity. As examples there were 2 bad umpiring mistakes in the Essendon game and the officials will be punished after review with exclusion from further finals involvement.

Again in the Essendon game Joe should also have received a mark and at least one free kick but did not. In his case, again only imho, he has only himself to blame through constant staging, whinging etc. His reputation is well established.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 24, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Back