Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There were so many positives to take out of this game, honestly.

I reckon it is the loss that wakes us up to go up a level. We've been playing well obviously but not really anywhere near our best. It took absolutely atrocious kicking to keep them in it, really we should have won it in the first quarter alone.

Ashcroft looked absolutely amazing, best he has looked since his injury return, that's a great sign. We also have hopefully Hipwood and Payne to return but perhaps even more importantly, in my opinion, Reville. He is fantastic as sub and gives us a class player to inject late in games with a cool head.

Our forwards worked really hard to help defensively and our kids took ownership of the game early.

Play that game again on any other day and I'm sure we kick more than half those misses and we win by 20+. This is our premiership if we want it, there is no doubt about that in my mind.
There's a doubt in my mind.

But I'm hopeful IF most things go right we'll be competitive.

There seems IMO two simple ways to deal with the Hogan situation.

Firstly, we had both Joyce and Andrew's down there, so theoretically it doesn't matter who takes Hogan from center bounces in that situation. Both are KPD so Hogan isn't really getting a mis match, who ever is getting blocked should just walk away and leave the other to defend Hogan, can always swap after that first contest. Andrews could have easily ignored the contest in the goal square and just stood 15m out from goal, ready to intercept. The forwards are giving you a 1v2 so take advantage of it?

Secondly, as both are KPD, just push the kid back and move him away from the Hogan contest entirely. If you are Darren Joyce, just move the 180cm FP by pushing him back and literally moving him where you want.

Thirdly, how can you block / Shepard like he is doing 75m off the ball anyways? Forward line blocks like that have always been a pretty weird grey area of the rules. But a player literally taking his eyes off the contest to Shepard 75m off the ball? Seems like a free kick to me.

Still, don't mind GWS trying something there. Makes things interesting.

Firstly, we had both Joyce and Andrew's down there, so theoretically it doesn't matter who takes Hogan from center bounces in that situation. Both are KPD so Hogan isn't really getting a mis match, who ever is getting blocked should just walk away and leave the other to defend Hogan, can always swap after that first contest. Andrews could have easily ignored the contest in the goal square and just stood 15m out from goal, ready to intercept. The forwards are giving you a 1v2 so take advantage of it?

Secondly, as both are KPD, just push the kid back and move him away from the Hogan contest entirely. If you are Darren Joyce, just move the 180cm FP by pushing him back and literally moving him where you want.

Thirdly, how can you block / Shepard like he is doing 75m off the ball anyways? Forward line blocks like that have always been a pretty weird grey area of the rules. But a player literally taking his eyes off the contest to Shepard 75m off the ball? Seems like a free kick to me.

It's the same as what the Suns did last year putting King on Andrews

Wouldn't be as big an issue if we had Payne out there

We get Payne back it becomes a non issue imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Back