Preview Round 22, 2024: Carlton v Hawthorn, Sun 11 August, 1.10pm AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will not happen and for good reason.

We are equal 5th in the comp for scores from kick ins.

It’s not broke…

Amon's kick in to Impey in the first quarter turned the game in our tide.

Do people forget that we were hemmed inside our defensive 50 for the first 10 minutes? Amon got us out and we were able to dominate the centre from there.

Yep. Chance wasn't a prolific ball winner but he still averaged 17 disposals over his career. Hill also has a 20 disposal average. That's what a good AFL standard winger should be aiming for, around 17 to 22 disposals (Hendo averaging close to 25 disposals in 2019 just shows what a year he had back then).

As I've said I am a big fan of CJs but you have to call a spade a spade and right now CJ needs a spell at Box Hill to get his mojo back.

This is one of the reasons I hope we are into Perryman to play back.

So we can put Amon back onto a wing, my Port mate thinks it crazy where we play Amon.

Don’t dream it’s over for the year.
Believe it’s just started.
Big game.
Can’t go unfortunately (my youngest’s 2nd birthday) but here is hoping we can get a massive Hawthorn supporting crowd along! Go Hawks!

Don’t think, do…make finals!

I'd almost play Finn on Saad.

If we learned anything from Sunday, it's run and ball movement from half back that we struggle to defend. Our pressure from the fwds, on Whitfield, was putrid, and cost us the game.

Saad is their key to this.

I'm willing to suggest that our inability to defend fast ball movement on the weekend was an aberration. The pressure from our forwards has been very good in the last 14 games or so.

Take CMac - not only was he winning more of the ball and hitting the scoreboard, but he was averaging 2-3 tackles a game during that period. Had 0 on the weekend.

Same thing with Ginnivan. Just by watching him, he's been busting his gut all season to provide options. The vision of him not chasing suggested a very tired player.

However, I don't think we can have Gunston and Punky on the ground at the same time. It exacerbates the issue, especially if our smalls are having down days.

I'm willing to suggest that our inability to defend fast ball movement on the weekend was an aberration. The pressure from our forwards has been very good in the last 14 games or so.

Take CMac - not only was he winning more of the ball and hitting the scoreboard, but he was averaging 2-3 tackles a game during that period. Had 0 on the weekend.

Same thing with Ginnivan. Just by watching him, he's been busting his gut all season to provide options. The vision of him not chasing suggested a very tired player.

However, I don't think we can have Gunston and Punky on the ground at the same time. It exacerbates the issue, especially if our smalls are having down days.

We didn't get the ball to ground enough for our smalls to have much defensive and offensive impact.

Dear got absolutely smashed by Buckley. I think he had 4 intercept marks on him.

Last time we had a disappointing loss

We came out and beat Freo, smacked the Pies and Adelaide by 11 goals

We will be raring to go

I like the idea that we beat Carlton and then absolutely throttle Richmond and Norf. We may not make finals but I'm damned sure that the boys won't go down wondering.

For all the disappointment over touches or repeat sprints or whatever the shortcoming is, I take great pride in knowing these boys are no quiters. They will not decide they cannot win and then give up. I know these boys will leave it all on the pitch. They may not get there, but they won't be standing around with any more to give.

What are we thinking the crowd will be this Sunday? Forecast is for a very pleasant 17C.

Could be a very good chance to break the records for a Hawks v Carlton Home and Away match (no idea what that is though).

I wouldn't be surprised if it pushes close to 90000.

What are we thinking the crowd will be this Sunday? Forecast is for a very pleasant 17C.

Could be a very good chance to break the records for a Hawks v Carlton Home and Away match (no idea what that is though).

I wouldn't be surprised if it pushes close to 90000.
Collingwood couldn’t get 90 000 for Pendlebury’s 400th prime time on a Saturday night. Can’t see the MCC filling up at 1.10pm on a Sunday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some big decisions for selection this week.

I thought CJ showed some promising signs against the crows, disappointing he took a step back on the weekend.

Have a feeling Carlton's limited leg speed and space on wings at the G might present an opportunity to CJ. Hopefully CJ is given direct instructions to take the game on if he plays. Last chance this week before a spell in the twos if quiet again.

Interesting the general consensus is Bruest and Gunston can't play together due to lack of forward pressure. Buckley highlighted a play were Ginni dropped off Whitfield in the last quarter, letting him collect multiple touches from half back to half forward while Ginni was walking across half forward, with Whitfield setting up GWS first goal in the last. There was another example where CMac did something similar, failing to work back defensively. Not having a crack at either, but a great lesson for two young players, you snooze for 5 minutes a good side will burn you.

Can't help but think it's a bit lazy to pin it on Bruest and Gunston. The last quarter fade out was a collective "effort".

One downside of the late finals charge is we are selecting sides for the now, rather than development. For example, this time last year I think Hustwaite would have been a chance for a call up after good inside game last week and for the opportunity to play on Cripps. Two big inside mids and a great development opportunity.

Obviously it's preferable to be contending for a finals run, but it's interesting to see how selection has shifted from development to results.

Some big decisions for selection this week.

I thought CJ showed some promising signs against the crows, disappointing he took a step back on the weekend.

Have a feeling Carlton's limited leg speed and space on wings at the G might present an opportunity to CJ. Hopefully CJ is given direct instructions to take the game on if he plays. Last chance this week before a spell in the twos if quiet again.

Interesting the general consensus is Bruest and Gunston can't play together due to lack of forward pressure. Buckley highlighted a play were Ginni dropped off Whitfield in the last quarter, letting him collect multiple touches from half back to half forward while Ginni was walking across half forward, with Whitfield setting up GWS first goal in the last. There was another example where CMac did something similar, failing to work back defensively. Not having a crack at either, but a great lesson for two young players, you snooze for 5 minutes a good side will burn you.

Can't help but think it's a bit lazy to pin it on Bruest and Gunston. The last quarter fade out was a collective "effort".

One downside of the late finals charge is we are selecting sides for the now, rather than development. For example, this time last year I think Hustwaite would have been a chance for a call up after good inside game last week and for the opportunity to play on Cripps. Two big inside mids and a great development opportunity.

Obviously it's preferable to be contending for a finals run, but it's interesting to see how selection has shifted from development to results.
Nash will take Cripps.

Nash will take Cripps.

Agreed, Nash is the ideal match up.

Had we been out of the finals race I think Hustwaite may have been given some time on Cripps as he was against Dangerfield last year. Not because Hustwaite is the best match up but because it's good for his development.

The fact Hustwaite won't get a call up is symptomatic of us moving past the development phase to the competing phase.

Hopefully next year it will be the contending phase.

We didn't get the ball to ground enough for our smalls to have much defensive and offensive impact.

Dear got absolutely smashed by Buckley. I think he had 4 intercept marks on him.

While I do agree that Dear was getting smashed, I think our lack of pressure became even more noticeable the moment he was subbed for Breust.

While Calsher is still 2-3 preseasons away from causing a defender like Buckley headaches, he always attacks the ball and the man 100%. Subbing him for Breust meant we had two players (Gunners and Breust) that applied 0 defensive pressure.

I actually think we needed him out there in the last.

While I do agree that Dear was getting smashed, I think our lack of pressure became even more noticeable the moment he was subbed for Breust.

While Calsher is still 2-3 preseasons away from causing a defender like Buckley headaches, he always attacks the ball and the man 100%. Subbing him for Breust meant we had two players (Gunners and Breust) that applied 0 defensive pressure.

I actually think we needed him out there in the last.

I'm with you 100% on that.

I love what Dear brings without the ball and fitness permitting I would like him to play out the entire game.

Maybe he was a bit tired. Been a long season as a young kid playing a very physically demanding role (especially the way he plays it). Felt like he was just half a second off all day on the lead and in the air. Buckley just read the game better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back