Preview Round 23, 2024 : Hawks v Tigers, 3.20pm Sun 18th Aug, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. Even two wins might not be enough to get us through to finals.

We need big wins just to make finals. Let alone the risks of flirting with form.

If you have a play around with the ladder predictor, the only way we could not make finals with wins in the next 2 weeks is if there is a gws-freo draw this week. (And all other results are worst case scenario)

If you have a play around with the ladder predictor, the only way we could not make finals with wins in the next 2 weeks is if there is a gws-freo draw this week. (And all other results are worst case scenario)
We win over Richmond & North, but Carlton also win over West Coast and St Kilda, by enough to overtake us on percentage. 🤷‍♂️

That's just not true, if Fremantle win one more and Carlton have bigger wins than us, we miss finals.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It would be a great opportunity to start Day off half back and Weddle across the midfield

We can do the Harlem Globetrotter stuff when we're 15 goals up.

Until then just play every game like an elimination final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be great to win by A LOT in both matches.
Like really a lot you know…like 90 points or more for both games.
If we did that we could go above WB and then if port slip up with Adel this weekedn and GWS next we could go above both...
Play as quick as we can as if its the last minute of the game and we’re a goal behind for all four quarters of both games and we’ll be primed!
Go hawks

I’ll be heading in with the godson, big hawks kid that he is, shame about his Dads team. Cheeky pint or two at Stomping ground and then a wander up, cannot wait

I don't think it's that simple. From the perspective of our backline we preference playing through the left wing (Massimo) and save the right wing (Jiath/Morrison) for surprise set plays with gut runners like Impey, Weddle and Moore breaking away into the space on that right wing if the opposition over commits to defending the left wing.

Whoever plays that right-side winger role is going to have variable involvement with the ball based on how the game plays out. On Sunday for example Carlton were good enough at setting up their defensive structures to clog up our left wing but they weren't good at defending the switch (which plays out differently to the right wing set plays coming straight from the kick-in). So Morrison got to see a bit more ball in attacking chains.

If we're getting our way and largely getting to play the game on our left wing then most opportunities for the right winger to get involved with the ball will come from the opposition trying to play through that other side. But as far as I can tell if the defensive right winger is doing their job well they are getting back to cut off the space and option to switch and ensuring our defensive structure is holding shape (from their general position they should have one of the best views). Which means doing their job well can actually equate to less possessions.

This isn't to say Morrison didn't have a good game, because he most definitely did. Or that CJ has or hasn't had a better one himself. Just that it's one of those roles for the side that I don't think can be graded just by looking at individual player stats.
Fantastic post, something I’ve been critical of with CJ but broken down perfectly for the morons like me😂

We can do the Harlem Globetrotter stuff when we're 15 goals up.

Until then just play every game like an elimination final.

The boys will be cracking in 100% no funky stuff! W.Day was drifting back last week after the bounce.

Fyi...
W.Day 2 tackles the last fortnight, 15 the prior fortnight. Season ave 5 per game.

Said last year when Taranto was in the predicted AA sides that I have no clue what the deal is. Glad he didn't make it, he went at 43% by foot in 2023, so 49% is high for him. This is his 5th season at under 50%.

I'd love to crunch the numbers because I reckon in terms of career KE% I reckon he'd have the worst on record.
Who is the best mid GWS has let go? None of them are all that good - probably Tralore but he is not superstar.

Good to hear - I am sure it is a 100+ win after long long time.
Tigers might be bad and make some unforced errors but we’ll still need to work hard and turn up the heat to pressure them into enough turnovers to bury them like that.

But I reckon we’ll try.

I think Sam will want us to make a statement with the next couple games. Go into finals in red hot form, show we’re primed for 4 quarters of contest against anyone. Not coasting in and just happy to have qualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back