Stephens - 12
Ramsden - 12, 0.2 goals
DGB - 12, 6 marks
Wingard - 8
Tucker - 7, 1 goal
Scaife - 7, 4.2 goals
McCabe - 7

AFL write up:

There are plenty of young Hawks trying to get into the AFL side as it surges towards an unexpected finals series, including mid-season draftee Jasper Scaife who kicked four goals in Box Hill's one-point win over GWS on Sunday.

Finn Maginness was the only other player to kick multiple goals, finishing with two from 31 disposals and nine marks having been dropped from the senior side, while Jack O'Sullivan (14 touches) and Clay Tucker kicked one goal each.

Cam Mackenzie (33 disposals, five clearances), Seamus Mitchell (23 disposals, 11 marks), Henry Hustwaite (27 touches, nine clearances) and Bailey MacDonald (20 disposals, eight marks) were all busy, as was Jai Serong (18 disposals, eight marks).

Ruckman Max Ramsden had 24 hitouts and 11 touches.

Former Cat Cooper Stephens found the ball 11 times before being injured in the first half, Bodie Ryan had 16 touches, Denver Grainger-Barras finished with nine disposals and veteran Chad Wingard had seven before leaving the game on managed minutes.

Yeah I'd strongly consider these three ins but maybe play Breust over Gunston depending on how Carlton's def lines up.
Gunston surely plays, he was by far our best performing forward yesterday. Watson and Ginnivan were disappointing, if either had kicked just the 1 goal we win.

In - Scaife, MacKenzie, Maginess, Morrison (sub)
Out - Dear, Ward, CJ, Breust

Scaife looks more ready than what Dear did when he debuted. Gunston to be the on ground coach for him similar to what he has been for Dear.
VFL has a bye, so both Dear and CJ can have the week off to refresh and recharge.

Serong in, probably for CJ. We need more size down back against Carlton's talls. Henry H for Ward. Clean hands and has been killing them at Box Hill. Scaiffe is not ready. Finn - too slow hand to foot. Morrison - we've seen his best. Only Sam knows if Dear's exhausted. But keep Breust. Carlton won't like three small forwards running around. McKenzie the sub.

CJ hasn't been setting the world on fire but to drop him this week is not an option. Carlton have been exposed on the spread and their midfield in generally one paced. We need as many breaking runners like CJ, Weddle etc to expose their biggest weakness.
Agree we can't drop CJ against the blues, they are slow slow slow.

But having said that he is on shaky ground, goes missing for long periods of games.

Rest Dear bring in Scaife

rest Bruest

Who ever is sub this week needs to be a quick mid

We need speed this week on the bigger ground we should run Carlton off their feet.
Cincotta will go to a small forward, he does the role well so we need to be ready for that whether it be Moore, Ginni, Wiz or Croc.

Expect Day to bounce back, he’ll be dirty with his game yesterday.

Frost to McKay and I’d like Serong to come in as another option for Curnow should he play.

Sicily forward and Dear out.

Sicily is a liability down back physically at present unfortunately.

Bruest sub, Gunston stays in to try and keep Weitering accountable

I reckon they need to give Maginess 3 straight games, see whether he has the ability to make it. He can take the place of Ward or CJ. He is in form, they need to know where he stands from a list perspective. In reality we aren't going to lose too much as CJ and ward not big contributors. Even rotate CJ/Ward/Mackenzie last 3 weeks. Maginess is now pretty flexible position wise, big body got to see how he goes against the big boys I reckon. Hope he has a Moore like breakout game in the next 3.

I went to the Pies v Blues game Sat night and sat on level 4, you get such great perspective of the defensive chess that goes on with players trading up and back.

Carlton looked extremely vulnerable out the back on turnover. Newman and Saad were both obsessed with hedging their bets and trying to get forward all the time leaving Boyd out the back to defend the collingwood smalls all night on his own. I think they are so gettable in this area if we can win the midfield battle. For this reason I think playing Hardwick forward could be the perfect play if we have any intentions of giving Dear a rest.

Interesting to see what balance we go for, will be a physical battle as usual with their bigger body players.

CJ hasn't been setting the world on fire but to drop him this week is not an option. Carlton have been exposed on the spread and their midfield in generally one paced. We need as many breaking runners like CJ, Weddle etc to expose their biggest weakness.
Mate I completely understand your thinking and your right!

The problem is though, when was the last time you actually saw CJ use his speed and running through the wings and exposing the opposition on offence like he use to before his injuries?? Be honest.

I think all of us supporters including Sam have just been waiting to see him explode with his running hence why he keeps getting picked, but unfortunately, he is really holding back and not using his speed which is his main asset. I think he could be mentally scared from all his hammy injuries he doesn't have faith to sprint at full pace.

If it's just for his chip kicks and marks I think I would rather Morrissons cleaner hands and better decision making for now, and let CJ know he'll be at BOX HILL until he brings that epic running power back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a few question but this main one how does Gunners go out having done his job and on top of that kicked 4? Just a query for those wanting to have Box hill players in form replacing him.

We will have players come in from box hill to replace others, but not for Gunston this week. I highly doubt it. He has another job on Weitering this week.

I also don't see CJ leaving the side

When does Sam roll the dice on Chad, as a sub option?
Never i'd say.

I wouldn't make wholesale changes. We could have and should have won on the weekend and have a long run of good form. Stick to what has worked over a couple of months.

OUT: Ward
IN: Morrison

Maybe Breust for Mackenzie but we need cool heads in these big games. The team got panicky yesterday.

Maginness for Ward
Morrison for Bruest -> sub

Would love to fit Serong in given the Blues' forward line, but not sure who he replaces. Perhaps in for Jiath, and release Weddle up the ground.

Last edited:
Nash to bash and crash Walsh.
He is carrying a back and does not like the physical stuff.

They don't bat very deep.

We really should feel very confident that we can outrun them for 4 qtrs.

They look flat and tired on Saturday.

I have a few question but this main one how does Gunners go out having done his job and on top of that kicked 4? Just a query for those wanting to have Box hill players in form replacing him.

We will have players come in from box hill to replace others, but not for Gunston this week. I highly doubt it. He has another job on Weitering this week.

I also don't see CJ leaving the side
I get what you're saying in that he did his job. But the lack of forward pressure from Gunston (and others mind you) was a big reason for the 5 goals from GWS defensive transition in the last.

McInness should come in. He shouldnt have been dropped for the GWS game. Why he is not given a cosecuetive games I dont understand. His disposal which was his main weakness has improved and he is kicking goals. him and harry are the first to be dropped.I dont understand why. If we are trying to make the 8 and not developing players at them.moment at least one should be played. My preference would be McInness. Skaife addition is just wishful thinking.

McInness should come in. He shouldnt have been dropped for the GWS game. Why he is not given a cosecuetive games I dont understand. His disposal which was his main weakness has improved and he is kicking goals. him and harry are the first to be dropped.I dont understand why. If we are trying to make the 8 and not developing players at them.moment at least one should be played. My preference would be McInness. Skaife addition is just wishful thinking.

Sent from my iPhone

I feel bad for CJ. He had a severley hampered off season and has been playing catch up all year.
He does seem somewhat reluctant to go all out as the threat of further injury must be preying on
him.

At his best he is crucial to this team. His burst running and flair lifts the other players. I'm not giving
up on him. CJ, Mabior Chol and Nashy are my favourite Hawks. Actually I love them all.

Carlton will be missing a few players while we are arguably fully fit. It’s very very winnable.

However, our players did look tired in the last quarter - have we run out of legs after a great 2 months where our presssure/work rate was top shelf? Hasn’t been a heap of rotations - the same core 22 has played most weeks.

The 2nd issue will be mental - can we rebound after a disappointing fade out? Can we hold like if opposition come at us hard late. We did after the port game.

I can’t see us making many changes with finals on the line. Finn, Mackenzie, Harry, serong possible ins - but maybe only 1-2 changes at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back