Preview Round 22: Collingwood vs Geelong, Friday 11 August 7:50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

'07, '09, '11, '20, '22

5 finals victories against Collingwood in 16 years.

By Richmond rules, we well and truly own that football club.

Can’t believe Steve Hocking hasn’t changed the rules against this week to give us a leg up? What are we paying him for?!

A couple of weeks ago i would've said the Pies by plenty in this one, but now, not so sure, i think we can definitely get them but we'll have to bring it and play some of our best footy.

The pies are wobbling.

I would say the Magpies are bored

They are 2 games and percentage clear in top spot - the finals series cant come quick enough for them - ideally they would like this week off - to freshen up - and the finals to start the following week

Instead there are 3 games to go - basically dead rubbers - because there is no additional award/advantage in finishing in the No 1 spot - when perhaps there should be . So they only have to win 1 of their last 3 - and they have Ess in the last round - which is a certainty

Their 2 losses - against Carl - i thought they had 70% of the general play - but were badly inaccurate eg Elliot missed 3-4 set shots and he is normally a DED - the Haw game - and im only saying this tongue in cheek - but youd reckon John Wren had paid them to throw that game - there was no reward on the ladder for winning it . De Goey who is an excellent player - and im not being critical of him - but in the last qtr - there was 2 passages of play where he got caught with the ball - and you could read his mind - look the game is shot who cares - where as if it was a final - hed have a totally different attitude . That game was Haw suuckers game for the year and their GF

This weeks game - well if the Magpies aernt still bored - they will cop a bit of a spray in the media - so they will probably be a bit reved up - and without Mark Blicavs in that midfield - he will be sorely missed this week - you cant have Atkins - Bruhn and Parfitt in the 1 team - and Atkins is easily the pick of them

The other problem for Geel - is this year - the Cats have very rarely played 4 good solid qtrs in the 1 game - they dissappear out of the game for a couple of qtrs - that isnt going to beat Coll - hopefully that factor doesnt get ugly for us Frid night

Look it would be fantastic if Geel could somehow get the 4 pts in an absolute must win game - sell out crowd and all the rest it

Geelongs best chance is if Collingwood is still flat - but if they are switched on - then i cant see Geelong winning .

They are 2 games and percentage clear in top spot - the finals series cant come quick enough for them - ideally they would like this week off - to freshen up - and the finals to start the following week

Instead there are 3 games to go - basically dead rubbers - because there is no additional award/advantage in finishing in the No 1 spot - when perhaps there should be . So they only have to win 1 of their last 3 - and they have Ess in the last round - which is a certainty

Their 2 losses - against Carl - i thought they had 70% of the general play - but were badly inaccurate eg Elliot missed 3-4 set shots and he is normally a DED - the Haw game - and im only saying this tongue in cheek - but youd reckon John Wren had paid them to throw that game - there was no reward on the ladder for winning it . De Goey who is an excellent player - and im not being critical of him - but in the last qtr - there was 2 passages of play where he got caught with the ball - and you could read his mind - look the game is shot who cares - where as if it was a final - hed have a totally different attitude . That game was Haw suuckers game for the year and their GF

This weeks game - well if the Magpies aernt still bored - they will cop a bit of a spray in the media - so they will probably be a bit reved up - and without Mark Blicavs in that midfield - he will be sorely missed this week - you cant have Atkins - Bruhn and Parfitt in the 1 team - and Atkins is easily the pick of them

The other problem for Geel - is this year - the Cats have very rarely played 4 good solid qtrs in the 1 game - they dissappear out of the game for a couple of qtrs - that isnt going to beat Coll - hopefully that factor doesnt get ugly for us Frid night

Look it would be fantastic if Geel could somehow get the 4 pts in an absolute must win game - sell out crowd and all the rest it

Geelongs best chance is if Collingwood is still flat - but if they are switched on - then i cant see Geelong winning .

The spread concerns me. We seem to play a lot of .. conservation style football at times. deciding when to really be switched on. The way we came out against Port was a lot different to Freo. At least we know this week we will be swtiched on... but can we play 4 good quarters against the Pies.

Cameron has not kicked more than three ina game since the game against the Swans in April. He will need to kick and convert all his shots if we are to be a chance.

Perhaps the only team flatter than Collingwood right now is Geelong.

The desire to back up just doesn't seem to be as strong as we would've liked, but it's also understandable that whatever they brought into the season has been seriously eroded by the injuries, individual fluctuations in form, and an inability to establish consistency.

The boys simply have to be up for the fight from the very first bounce for this one.

I think all the doom and gloom about Daicos etc means Collingwood will come out galvanised and wanting to make a statement.
We can beat them but we have to put in our strongest four quarter performance of the season, we can’t have a quarter long lapse like we do most weeks.

Hope we clamp down on J Daicos who was BOG in the first quarter of the QF when they got a jump on us.

And remember, whatever happens, we’ll always have this.

IMG_0926.jpeg

We will be competitive, but surely Collingwood won’t lose 3 in a row. Even with a few players out.
We all expected to drop this one.
Is hawk any chance?
If he indeed had a hamstring injury, and it being his first one, I hope he does not play. I know he rarely has to sprint, but reality is he is missing games with something.
I didn't think we'd see Port lose 4 in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The top tier, premiership winning teams over the years sometimes have that blip. But it's more often one game, two at a stretch, and not involving usually a thrashing by such a poor side.

% is a pretty good guide. 128 for them is decent but it suggests they aren't really far away from some of the chasing pack at all.

This game is big for them, just as Ports against Adelaide was. 2 bad games is a blip, 3 or more is a funk. And we've had a couple of those ourselves this season.

If the Cats get up in this one they have a chance of going into finals as one of the form teams in the comp.

The spread concerns me. We seem to play a lot of .. conservation style football at times. deciding when to really be switched on. The way we came out against Port was a lot different to Freo. At least we know this week we will be swtiched on... but can we play 4 good quarters against the Pies.

Cameron has not kicked more than three ina game since the game against the Swans in April. He will need to kick and convert all his shots if we are to be a chance.
Is this THE week we come out to show we are the danger?
Or are the Pies no longer the benchmark?
I think they are- so far clear on top, they deserve a couple of pressure release games.
But Demons are breathing down their necks in many sways.

The top tier, premiership winning teams over the years sometimes have that blip. But it's more often one game, two at a stretch, and not involving usually a thrashing by such a poor side.

% is a pretty good guide. 128 for them is decent but it suggests they aren't really far away from some of the chasing pack at all.

This game is big for them, just as Ports against Adelaide was. 2 bad games is a blip, 3 or more is a funk. And we've had a couple of those ourselves this season.

If the Cats get up in this one they have a chance of going into finals as one of the form teams in the comp.
It would mean we have beaten Pies, Demons, Port - 3 of the top 4

Last edited:
Is this THE week we come out to show we are the danger?
Or are the Pies no longer the benchmark?
I think they are- so far clear on top, they deserve a couple of pressure release games.
But Demons are breathing down their necks in many sways.

Vdubs. Its a blend of being a battle of the fittest ... and having a battle plan that is in form but has not been studdied to death. I think the last couple of years.. SC has worked out that being too good too early has hurt us in the finals. Its the Japanese saying about the nail that sticks up will get hit down.

Recently on youtube i have watched the Cathy Freeman 2000 run. Usa commenty. Tim Lane Commentary. ..and Bruce It doesnt seem to matter nearly brings a tear to my eye each time. What a beautifully timed run Hard work early then with about 50 to go she stretched and put metres on them. It was a perfect 400 Metres... but she could not have gone 500

I have concerns that we hit the tape last year.. and its was great. The run of Collingwood if they are fit will be hard to match. The game at the start of the year was probably as good as we played for two or three quarters.

We need another couple of kids like Holmes.. and a younger version of Danger and we need back to playing like he is enjoying himself.

Its not too bad if you are winning...but not great if they get rolling. That PF in 2010 was pretty ugly.

I've been to plenty of big matches against the pies but they'll be out for blood this week after a few losses and everyone talking them up as shoe ins for the flag.

The fans not the players - though they could be as well.

Vdubs. Its a blend of being a battle of the fittest ... and having a battle plan that is in form but has not been studdied to death. I think the last couple of years.. SC has worked out that being too good too early has hurt us in the finals. Its the Japanese saying about the nail that sticks up will get hit down.

Recently on youtube i have watched the Cathy Freeman 2000 run. Usa commenty. Tim Lane Commentary. ..and Bruce It doesnt seem to matter nearly brings a tear to my eye each time. What a beautifully timed run Hard work early then with about 50 to go she stretched and put metres on them. It was a perfect 400 Metres... but she could not have gone 500

I have concerns that we hit the tape last year.. and its was great. The run of Collingwood if they are fit will be hard to match. The game at the start of the year was probably as good as we played for two or three quarters.

We need another couple of kids like Holmes.. and a younger version of Danger and we need back to playing like he is enjoying himself.

I made an observation previously that all else aside, I just don't see the same enjoyment of the game, the same exuberance or the sense of fun within the group as I saw last year.

Not sure why, or if I'm just imagining it, but none of that has really seemed present this year, whereas last year it was plain to see.

They do, but it's also almost never this late in the year.

Of the last few years

• Cats finished the year on fire
  • So did the Dees
  • So did the Tigers 3x
  • So did WCE
  • So did Hawthorn

It's become a bit of a meme on here, but the premise still rings true: The premier is the team playing the best football in the last two months of the year.

It is a weird year, because that would rule out Port & Collingwood. Brisbane can't win it if they don't finish top 2 and the Dee's aren't exactly world beaters.

If there was a year to win it outside the 4, it looks like being this one.

Now, that doesn't mean it'll be us...but it's food for thought. I haven't rated Carlton once in the last 2 years, but they're heating up at the right time.

I made an observation previously that all else aside, I just don't see the same enjoyment of the game, the same exuberance or the sense of fun within the group as I saw last year.

Not sure why, or if I'm just imagining it, but none of that has really seemed present this year, whereas last year it was plain to see.
Losing as many as we win will do that to a team- chicken/egg, cause/effect??

They do, but it's also almost never this late in the year.

Of the last few years

• Cats finished the year on fire
  • So did the Dees
  • So did the Tigers 3x
  • So did WCE
  • So did Hawthorn

It's become a bit of a meme on here, but the premise still rings true: The premier is the team playing the best football in the last two months of the year.

It is a weird year, because that would rule out Port & Collingwood. Brisbane can't win it if they don't finish top 2 and the Dee's aren't exactly world beaters.

If there was a year to win it outside the 4, it looks like being this one.
Carlton
Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back