Preview Round 22 - Essendon v The Gold Coast - Marvel Stadium - Saturday 10/8/24 - 7:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Initial thoughts-

OUT: Duursma, Lav, Menzie
IN: Setterfield, Hayes, Hind

Team;-

Kelly McKay McGrath
Redman Hayes Martin
Cox Caldwell Roberts
Gresham Caddy Merrett
Langford Draper Stringer

Bryan Durham Parish

Bench: Setterfield Shiel ADavey Jones
SUB: Hind

If we're dropping Menzie I'd rather give Tex a run than Hind.

Yep or Hobbs who should be playing as in my opinion will be a half forward who plays abit on ball due to the mids we already have.

There will be a vfl purist in here that will tell you tex plays more up the ground now so he’s not a like for like change but we need to see him at afl level now imo.

I have a feeling Gold Coast will drop their heads now they won't play finals.

Dursma a big loss if out but we should be winning this.

famous Essington last words

Last edited:
Don't think Hayes can replace Laverde just too skinny at this point happy to try Weid who can at least kick although he doesn't have Laverde's desperation.

Think Cox should be given a stint in the 2s maybe that's Hayes opportunity.

Menzies has to be dropped lets give Davey a full game.

Bryan just can't compete around the ground maybe Wright is our best 2nd ruck atm even with his horrendous form as a forward.

Would like to reward Setterfield's form but not sure if he fits in.

Think we give Perkins another week before we play him as a forward.

Don't think Hayes can replace Laverde just too skinny at this point happy to try Weid who can at least kick although he doesn't have Laverde's desperation.

Think Cox should be given a stint in the 2s maybe that's Hayes opportunity.

Menzies has to be dropped lets give Davey a full game.

Bryan just can't compete around the ground maybe Wright is our best 2nd ruck atm even with his horrendous form as a forward.

Would like to reward Setterfield's form but not sure if he fits in.

Think we give Perkins another week before we play him as a forward.

1722840933922.jpeg

Agree with some parts, disagree with others.

This is Hayes pre season ^^ I feel like people get caught up in the young KPD thing. He is young and he is years from his prime/peak, but he’s not some twig that’s nowhere near ready for AFL. He’s always going to have the tall and gangly look. It’s obviously a massive jump from VFL to AFL, but I think he’d provide more than Laverde right now. Laverde’s getting beaten by his man week in, week out - and he’s killing us going the other way.

If form means anything at all, agree that Davey should come in for Menzie. And agree Cox probably needs a spell.

Bryan I thought was okay without being great. Given we’ve put 5 years of work into him in the VFL, I’d rather see what he can do over a month long block than send him straight back. Wright shouldn’t be straight back in for mine - he’s a far worse ruck than any of Draper/Goldy/Bryan - and if he’s not kicking goals he’s close to useless.

Agree with Setterfield - but I don’t think Perkins should be anywhere near the senior team at the moment. I still think he makes it long term, but right now there should be a heap ahead of him - he was poor at AFL level for quite a few weeks. Setterfield and Hobbs at a minimum should be in front of him in the queue - I think you could argue Hind too (and Tsatas, though it seems like they may be set on keeping him playing midfield at VFL level for the time being).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2069703

Agree with some parts, disagree with others.

This is Hayes pre season ^^ I feel like people get caught up in the young KPD thing. He is young and he is years from his prime/peak, but he’s not some twig that’s nowhere near ready for AFL. He’s always going to have the tall and gangly look. It’s obviously a massive jump from VFL to AFL, but I think he’d provide more than Laverde right now. Laverde’s getting beaten by his man week in, week out - and he’s killing us going the other way.

If form means anything at all, agree that Davey should come in for Menzie. And agree Cox probably needs a spell.

Bryan I thought was okay without being great. Given we’ve put 5 years of work into him in the VFL, I’d rather see what he can do over a month long block than send him straight back. Wright shouldn’t be straight back in for mine - he’s a far worse ruck than any of Draper/Goldy/Bryan - and if he’s not kicking goals he’s close to useless.

Agree with Setterfield - but I don’t think Perkins should be anywhere near the senior team at the moment. I still think he makes it long term, but right now there should be a heap ahead of him - he was poor at AFL level for quite a few weeks. Setterfield and Hobbs at a minimum should be in front of him in the queue - I think you could argue Hind too (and Tsatas, though it seems like they may be set on keeping him playing midfield at VFL level for the time being).

You’ve swayed me on Hayes.

The other problem with Bryan is he’s quite clearly worse than Draper and can’t play anywhere other than ruck so he’s hard to justify playing imo. Would rather have Jones or Cox pinch hit

On Perkins it’s just that we don’t have any forwards or even real flanker depth with Guelfi and Duursma injuries plus the coach seemingly not trusting Hind. There’s zero point in bringing in the names you’ve listed and have them not rotate through the guts

We'll probably be unchanged in the midfield but I'm still not sold on being able to carry both Parish and Shiel in the same team at the moment where they both don't appear 100% fit. Last week showed that if we can win the clearance and it comes to either one of them like in the 4th quarter we can work it in our favour but if we aren't winning the initial contest or we need to transition the ball back then you start to notice them both, and that was definitely the case in the 3rd quarter.

Losing Duursma is really not great for our structure as we don't have many players with his tank or his marking. I'd be tempted to put Hind at half back and move Martin to the wing.

Question for me is can we get four quarters out of our structure this week. We played a man-to-man game for the first half against the Dockers and were getting exposed, we got a little more improvement when we went to a zone after half time but it didn't really work until the last quarter.

Personally I would play Hayes for Laverde. Do not think it will happen unless Laverde is managed due to being a bit sore.

With Duursma out then I am looking outside the box a little bit and maybe moving Durham to a wing and playing Setterfield or Hobbs as inside midfielders.

Bryan and Roberts have to play again for mine if the pull up okay .

Menzie out . Davey not sub . Not sure who we do play as sub.

Personally I did not think Perkins or Wright did enough against an average side on Saturday . Hind was decent but not as good as the previous week.

No Goldy please. Just play Bryan. No Heppell . He is done.

Tsatas could get a look in but he may struggle against the GC midfielders physically so is probably better playing VFL. His time will come.

Stay serious Brad.

Last edited:
Personally I would play Hayes for Laverde. Do not think it will happen unless Laverde is managed due to being a bit sore.

If Duursma is out then I am looking outside the box a little bit and maybe moving Durham to a wing and playing Setterfield or Hobbs as inside midfielders.

Bryan and Roberts have to play again for mine if the pull up okay .

Menzie out . Davey not sub . Not sure who we do play as sub.

Personally I did not think Perkins or Wright did enough against an average side on Saturday . Hind was decent but not as good as the previous week.

No Goldy please. Just play Bryan. No Heppell . He is done.

Tsatas could get a look in but he may struggle against the GC midfielders physically so is probably better playing VFL. His time will come.

Stay serious Brad.

This was my thoughts for the above.

Setterfield comes in to play inside mid.
Durham/Roberts/Martin cover the wing.
Davey out from sub along with Wanganeen for some speed up forward.
Cox to sub and can second ruck if we pull Bryan out early.

We have hope again.

We're against a side that hasn't won away from home all season

We need to win to have a sniff of the finals

The result is assured

Gold Coast by 10 goals.

This was my thoughts for the above.

Setterfield comes in to play inside mid.
Durham/Roberts/Martin cover the wing.
Davey out from sub along with Wanganeen for some speed up forward.
Cox to sub and can second ruck if we pull Bryan out early.
Still need someone in the back half if Martin is full time wing and Cox is sub .
Doubt Wanganeen goes forward given he has been playing half back for the last 5 weeks.

Defenders: McKay, Hayes, Weideman; Cox, Redman; McGrath, Roberts

Midfielders: Parish, Merrett, Caldwell, Shiel; Durham, Jones, Martin; Draper, Bryan

Forwards: Caddy; Langford, Stringer; Gresham, Davey, Menzie/Hind (one sub)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back