Review Round 23, 2024 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Always the smart move to go against what everybody else is doing
And yet everyone's complaining when we go against what everybody else is doing by kicking behinds instead of goals!

I wonder if there's physical limitations to being more skilled. Footballers have be able to run 15 plus kms, tackle 100kg athletes and be able to kick, handball and catch consistently.

Are there any other sports where you have to do all 3?
Yes the combination of endurance and a confrontational physical game is pretty unique to AFL IMO, it is underestimated how much using your strength takes out of you.

Football/Soccer used to have some physicality but now it is virtually a non contact sport, same goes for Basketball, Rugby League/Union yes but they are not 360 degree games, teams are separated and then get set plays to get past the defensive line, nowhere near as long a game either.

I don't watch it but doesn't Gridiron run attacking and defensive squads on and off?

soo frustrating

Need to work on 2 things urgently.

Sticking to tackles. Need bjj training or league training. How to deal with fends. Ways to use your body. Bailey is just not up to it unfort in a top team...hate to say it

Goal kicking. This should be on top of normal massages training erc.
I am amazed that they cant internally recognise it and adjust.

fages is a great head of development man. Not game day coach. No ways to stop any runs...and it has been like that for yrs. Why doesnt he give the umps a spray like fly did and didnt get fined for it?! Fages is just too nice n not ruthless enough. Fact
Surely wrestling would be better. Many BJJ guys have terrible stand up grappling.

Yes the combination of endurance and a confrontational physical game is pretty unique to AFL IMO, it is underestimated how much using your strength takes out of you.

Football/Soccer used to have some physicality but now it is virtually a non contact sport, same goes for Basketball, Rugby League/Union yes but they are not 360 degree games, teams are separated and then get set plays to get past the defensive line, nowhere near as long a game either.

I don't watch it but doesn't Gridiron run attacking and defensive squads on and off?
There is no other sport like AFL. Gaelic, obviously the closest but I am doubtful that there is as many big collisions, and there is no tackling obviously. IMO AFL players are and have to be some of the most well rounded athletes in all of sports.
In a 3 hour Gridiron game there is about 15mins of actual play.

Plenty of professional golfers completely miss the fairway, the green or a putt from a couple of meters.

Also plenty of professional football players miss penalty kicks or fluff absolute sitter goals or make howler mistakes in defence.

AFL is a very physical game with 360 degree pressure which requires elite endurance as well, any sport which requires physicality as well as elite fitness is going to require you to perform skills under extreme fatigue, very difficult task.

IMO we underrate how good an athlete most AFL players are.

I have never played Aussie Rules but I have been to a park and ran at near top pace and tried to bounce the ball and kick it on the run, that alone is a very difficult skill.

I did play soccer and Futsal for a combined 30 years though and I was not a very skilful player but I got by OK... albeit nowhere near an elite level of competition.

Kicking on the run was by far my worst ever skill. It was laughable at a jog but when I was at full tilt I may as well give up.

I've said this for many years, but I've never understand why training, particularly during the season, isn't conducted during the time of upcoming matches. I mean they're almost always training mid morning and rarely doing so between 2-5pm, 4:30-7:30pm or 7.10-10:30pm? Why not?

I'm not saying we aren't alone, but I suspect its a convenience thing for everyone associated with the club so they have typical business hours as partners and the like and perhaps knowing the AFLPA they have dictated players can't train after certain times. But how does that then prepare players for match day conditions or in the very least acclimatize the body to playing sport at a particular time when you never train for it? All week you're training in the mornings and then come weekend, you're still playing games well after 10pm!

It still feels like AFL clubs have a bloody long way to being fully professional becuase the other point you touched on, some of our goalkicking is so diabolical its not funny. I mean park footy players are just as stuffed when they line up for goals and aren't missing the sodas our guys and don't tell me its pressure when they also have a few thousand watching them and the stakes are also high for their teams and position within the league.
I believe that sport science research has concluded that there is no advantage to training at the time you are competing. I seriously doubt that research has extended to a game as physical as footy though. I believe the same research has also concluded that there are far more important factors such as how well you slept, food you have eaten etc.

The skill level of AFL players is deplorable compared to other professional sports. It’s just not the Brisbane Lions missing shots in front, it’s the whole league. How players consistently handball to other players feet from 5 metres and how can so many players be drafted and not be able to kick off their non-preferred! I recon EPL players and professional golfers must watch AFL and laugh.

If AFL clubs told professional golfers how much time the players spent goal kicking practice in a week the golfers would reply - don’t you mean a day not a week?

It’s still a great game due to all its other attributes. Skill level just isn’t one of them.
Modern players are more skilled across the board than ever before (can't believe I just admitted that), but with the emphasis on pressure and negating "skills" (along with exhaustive running) in the modern game, only the most brilliant players are able to display it on any consistent basis. Umpires protecting ball players would help.

I believe that sport science research has concluded that there is no advantage to training at the time you are competing. I seriously doubt that research has extended to a game as physical as footy though. I believe the same research has also concluded that there are far more important factors such as how well you slept, food you have eaten etc.
Yeah the how well you have slept thing is absolutely huge I think. You play a night game, players and coaches report exactly the same: you finish up, stay on the ground for a bit, get into the rooms, do some media, press conferences, post-match meeting etc, warm down, you're probably starving, you don't get home till midnight or later, then your adrenaline is probably still pumping from the game, you've just eaten anyway so you probably couldn't sleep regardless.

All in all there's a good chance you're probably not ready for any sleep till 2 or even 3am. And that's with the glass of red Fages likes to have, which I'm not sure the players would be granted the luxury of too often.

Then you're expected back in the club first thing Monday morning.

I simply cannot believe this does not wreak havoc with the body clock. And that's before we even get into the vagaries of travel, let alone the travel to other time zones! (Which barring a bizarre set of results this weekend it looks like we will avoid for the rest of this year)

If nobody is currently factoring this in I believe it's a massive opportunity for a club to exploit. Why not us?

Grasshopper unrelated but I am reading that time and space book you recommended. It is absolutely fantastic.
I've said this before but I'd love to see an updated edition, discussing the Hardwick pressure and chaos model as well as McRae's approach to time management etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grasshopper unrelated but I am reading that time and space book you recommended. It is absolutely fantastic.
doctor who tardis GIF

Which book is that?

Josh Dunkley on his Podcast with Adam Treloar today said that apart from the Grand Final this loss was the most down the boys have been during his time at the Lions.

Hopefully the hangover doesn't affect Saturday night.

Yeah the how well you have slept thing is absolutely huge I think. You play a night game, players and coaches report exactly the same: you finish up, stay on the ground for a bit, get into the rooms, do some media, press conferences, post-match meeting etc, warm down, you're probably starving, you don't get home till midnight or later, then your adrenaline is probably still pumping from the game, you've just eaten anyway so you probably couldn't sleep regardless.

All in all there's a good chance you're probably not ready for any sleep till 2 or even 3am. And that's with the glass of red Fages likes to have, which I'm not sure the players would be granted the luxury of too often.

Then you're expected back in the club first thing Monday morning.

I simply cannot believe this does not wreak havoc with the body clock. And that's before we even get into the vagaries of travel, let alone the travel to other time zones! (Which barring a bizarre set of results this weekend it looks like we will avoid for the rest of this year)

If nobody is currently factoring this in I believe it's a massive opportunity for a club to exploit. Why not us?
Melbourne teams have a big advantage when you look at the logistic requirements throughout the season.

It is what it is.

doctor who tardis GIF

Which book is that?
Time and Space, James Coventry.

I've said this before but I'd love to see an updated edition, discussing the Hardwick pressure and chaos model as well as McRae's approach to time management etc.
Well they did talk about McRae time management on Browns podcast and Campbell as well as Browny did mention part of it if not most of it was not letting the ball out and locking it up with confidence the umps wouldn’t ping them. Now they don’t have that and all of a sudden they are losing close ones.

Plenty of professional golfers completely miss the fairway, the green or a putt from a couple of meters.

Also plenty of professional football players miss penalty kicks or fluff absolute sitter goals or make howler mistakes in defence.

AFL is a very physical game with 360 degree pressure which requires elite endurance as well, any sport which requires physicality as well as elite fitness is going to require you to perform skills under extreme fatigue, very difficult task.

IMO we underrate how good an athlete most AFL players are.

I have never played Aussie Rules but I have been to a park and ran at near top pace and tried to bounce the ball and kick it on the run, that alone is a very difficult skill.

I did play soccer and Futsal for a combined 30 years though and I was not a very skilful player but I got by OK... albeit nowhere near an elite level of competition.
I’m not questioning their athletic ability. It is very high. But I stand by my thoughts on skill level and lack of practice. I remember reading the All Black Grant Fox book. He would go to Eden Park EVERY DAY during his lunch bread in the 1980s (yes he had a full time job) and kick goals for an hour or two (understanding boss). He rarely missed in games and was kicking goals under enormous pressure with the weight of a rugby nation on his shoulders. He said he was that confident in his technique due to repeating the same thing hour after hour every day that he was always confident of kicking the goals. In the 1980s the balls were way worse than today and they played in mud!
Darryl Halligan was the same playing rugby league in the 1990s. He practiced his goal kicking EVERY DAY for hours on end and i think one year achieved around a 90% kicking accuracy. With a number from the sideline! He was literally picked in the Bulldogs rugby league team for his goal kicking (and won them plenty of games including finals). I don’t see AFL kicking for goal being any harder than goal kicking in rugby or rugby league. And the pressure Grant Fox was under is way more than any AFL player!
Matthew John’s told an 18 year old Cooper Cronk to take a rugby league ball every where he went. He would be seen everywhere with a ball passing it to himself (or others) and famously would take it to the movies! His passing and kicking skills were superb as a result.
Lachie Neale apparently works the hardest on his touch skills. He is one of the cleanest in the comp and has won two brownlows.
It is not rocket science.
I would love to know how many AFL forwards spend 1 to 2 hours per day EVERY DAY kicking goals. And spare me on the sports science stuff saying you can’t do it.

I’m not questioning their athletic ability. It is very high. But I stand by my thoughts on skill level and lack of practice. I remember reading the All Black Grant Fox book. He would go to Eden Park EVERY DAY during his lunch bread in the 1980s (yes he had a full time job) and kick goals for an hour or two (understanding boss). He rarely missed in games and was kicking goals under enormous pressure with the weight of a rugby nation on his shoulders. He said he was that confident in his technique due to repeating the same thing hour after hour every day that he was always confident of kicking the goals. In the 1980s the balls were way worse than today and they played in mud!
Darryl Halligan was the same playing rugby league in the 1990s. He practiced his goal kicking EVERY DAY for hours on end and i think one year achieved around a 90% kicking accuracy. With a number from the sideline! He was literally picked in the Bulldogs rugby league team for his goal kicking (and won them plenty of games including finals). I don’t see AFL kicking for goal being any harder than goal kicking in rugby or rugby league. And the pressure Grant Fox was under is way more than any AFL player!
Matthew John’s told an 18 year old Cooper Cronk to take a rugby league ball every where he went. He would be seen everywhere with a ball passing it to himself (or others) and famously would take it to the movies! His passing and kicking skills were superb as a result.
Lachie Neale apparently works the hardest on his touch skills. He is one of the cleanest in the comp and has won two brownlows.
I would love to know how many AFL forwards spend 1 to 2 hours per day EVERY DAY kicking goals. And spare me on the sports science stuff saying you can’t do it.
I think rugby goal kicking should be somewhat easier, given the vagaries of the ball drop are removed.

Everything else tho I agree with.

Jimi Hendrix was never seen without his guitar. He took it when he went to the toliet.

To be really great at something you need to be obsessive about it.

Likewise I don't buy the too tired, or they've got too much else to concentrate on to be an accurate kick at goal. You can see some players go weak at the knees every time they have to take a shot. I'm guessing because they haven't got the confidence in their routine . Sure there are angles and wind factors but for a professional there's no excuse for spraying it when you're 20m out.

I'm guessing most of them don't practice enough or get the right professional help to ensure they're practicing the right way. It's a crucial element of the game where you can really hurt the opposition by rarely missing the gettable ones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 23, 2024 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Back