Preview Round 23 - Collingwood v Brisbane @ The MCG (Saturday 4:35pm AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heading down for this one for the first regular season game ever at the G.
So hoping for the boys to put on their best show.
Wonder what the expected crowd numbers are?
I'm heading down too. Look out Melbourne!
I'm jealous.. we are going to travel to all finals including the interstate ones, hoping we aren't drawn to play the Dockers away, would love to experience the new Stadium(so I can compare it to our Olympic stadium at QSAC:eek:) but I hate long haul flights and 5 hours is long haul to me, 2 hours to Melbourne is about my limit.

Have a great trip.
Hopefully you have a big smile on your face by games end.

Pies usually have good support at the MCG but the weather may have an impact unless the forecast changes.
They still have finals hope so their supporters should turn up.

Somewhere between 38,350 when we met them at Marvel last year and the GF being 100,024
I will settle on 59,001
Amazingly their lowest crowd at the G this year was v Tigers in round 20 with only 58,342

If you’re near Federation Square after the game, check out Movida for a very cool bar / tapas experience on corner of Flinders Street and one of the graffiti laneways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll win because if we don't we might as well pack up for the year. I expect us to be playing Geelong in victoria week one of the finals... hopefully in the Victorian capital

Bit unfair on Joyce in the preview. Thrust back in after a broken jaw in foreign headgear, against a very good team and one error makes him untrustworthy for ever. That's pretty hard marking. He was going good before the injury, not great not poor, but certainly a pass mark. Gotta remember this is a bloke with barely 25 games under his belt in a key position. I think we've gotta stick with him. I do think he's better than Hippy defensively, and just as mobile. Maybe not as good a kick as Hippy but ya don't pick a tall defender solely on kicking ability. Hippy's one game down back against the out of 8 Suns playing on an out of form King was good I'll give him that. It is a much different proposition against the Giants and an in form Hogan etc as Joyce experienced or against the Pies this week. Hippy wasn't coming back from an injury either when he played the Suns. I just don't think we're any stronger down back with Hippy rather than Joyce.

Where you do pick a tall on kicking ability and where we are stronger with Hippy is fwd. Smith while he has been functional as a 2nd ruck/fwd he hasn't hit the scoreboard at all I don't think, advantage Hippy here. Hippy being more mobile than Smith also adds more defensive pressure up fwd. That's our game, lock it in fwd. The better the pressure the better chance of doing so. Joe gets his go as second ruck, it's like a pressure release valve for him. He gets to have a run around up the ground, help out on the wings etc.

If we are going to have any chance in the finals we will need to structure up with Hippy n Joe fwd and 2 legitimate talls down back, Andrews n Joyce or Payne. I don't think there's any doubt in that. Joyce is the man we can get game time into at the moment.
Agree on keeping Joyce, he was good last week. Being at the game it was Harris that had the 'off' game, he was waving his arms around in frustration a couple of times when he himself was caught out. Something was just a bit off in the backline, Starc was great on Green and Joyce threw himself at the ball and opposition with no regard for the jaw. The group of longterm members I sit with were all saying Payne has work to do to get his spot back. Payne would be good for this game he would have trained on McStay many times but Joyce none. This think Joyce can still crash into him and disturb his run and jump at the ball more than Hippy playing back.

It all added up to the Lions being the ninth oldest team in the competition for round 22, with the fifth most experience, which is a significant drop from the final round of last season when they were ranked second in both categories.

It all added up to the Lions being the ninth oldest team in the competition for round 22, with the fifth most experience, which is a significant drop from the final round of last season when they were ranked second in both categories.

Bodes well for an extended Premiership window, we are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Your first sentence doesn't really make sense but it does seem unlikely he'll play which is a big blow.
He was asked if Hipwood will pay from Fish, I think? And he replied that Hipwood had made good progress this week but needed to see how he went in training this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back