Unofficial Preview Round 23 v Magpies @MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
22m2 per player is a lot when you’re talking about AFL skill levels and the ability to be pin point by foot
Its not a huge amount but when talking about a zone defence having that extra 1-2m can be the difference in being able to pick out those kicks

"although still doubtful to return against the Magpies"

Oof. Hopefully just means he's a test for selection.

1723520870112.png

Would rather he come in for Smith if he's good to play rather than being put down back.
As a forward he can control the amount of running and turning he does as well. Where as a defender he has no control whatsoever and would have to follow a forward around where ever they went.

Would rather he come in for Smith if he's good to play rather than being put down back.
I think the way it will work is Hipwood for Smith when he is ready to come back and Payne for Joyce.

Hipwood comes back this week without Payne, Joyce goes out, Hipwood plays back and Smith retains his spot for an extra week.

Next Week Hipwood will be back playing forward and Payne will be back in his role at FB

Smith and Joyce, VFL.

Payne 1-2 weeks, chance to play against Essendon.

Hipwood test.

Reville 1-2 weeks.

Luckless Carter Michael out for the season.

Terrible conversion aside, the thing that concerned me the most about the game on Saturday was the re-emergence of selfish, egotistical football that we haven't seen since the early rounds: playing for free kicks, burning teammates in better position, token-effort chasing. Heads were not in the game. Pardonable if it's a one-off (albeit a potentially costly one); A repeat performance and we have problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrible conversion aside, the thing that concerned me the most about the game on Saturday was the re-emergence of selfish, egotistical football that we haven't seen since the early rounds: playing for free kicks, burning teammates in better position, token-effort chasing. Heads were not in the game. Pardonable if it's a one-off (albeit a potentially costly one); A repeat performance and we have problems.

Part of me had hoped we'd matured past that, and our run was going to be reminiscent of the Geelong side from 2022 that professionally and systemically just won their last 16 games in the way to a flag. I agree it was the most disappointing thing that came out of Saturday.

Part of me had hoped we'd matured past that, and our run was going to be reminiscent of the Geelong side from 2022 that professionally and systemically just won their last 16 games in the way to a flag. I agree it was the most disappointing thing that came out of Saturday.

Every team has had those moments this year (and most years).

I didn't notice that much difference to the last few weeks except we didn't kick straight ,faced a better opponent that never gave up , and got tired at the end.
We definitely lacked intensity at the contest after quarter time.

I didn't notice that much difference to the last few weeks except we didn't kick straight ,faced a better opponent that never gave up , and got tired at the end.
Without looking at every game, I suspect we have more behinds than goals in a high number of our games. We played Sydney at the GABBA when they were not in form and suffered some injuries during the game, and have played in the past few weeks a number of teams outside of the 8 so maybe our form was not as strong as we thought.

I think Payne IF fit is a big in as he allows Harris to intercept, Harris and Lester are not lock down defenders, we have Payne and Starc as our lockdown defenders. Hippy IF fit, can play the link role further upfield and allow Joey and Charlie to play a little deeper. If Joey plays second ruck than Hippy plays deeper.

We are still in this, we just need to win the next two games, finish in the top 4 and with our finals experience can win this. But, I prefer we don't face Hawthorne in the finals.

Without looking at every game, I suspect we have more behinds than goals in a high number of our games. We played Sydney at the GABBA when they were not in form and suffered some injuries during the game, and have played in the past few weeks a number of teams outside of the 8 so maybe our form was not as strong as we thought.

I think Payne IF fit is a big in as he allows Harris to intercept, Harris and Lester are not lock down defenders, we have Payne and Starc as our lockdown defenders. Hippy IF fit, can play the link role further upfield and allow Joey and Charlie to play a little deeper. If Joey plays second ruck than Hippy plays deeper.

We are still in this, we just need to win the next two games, finish in the top 4 and with our finals experience can win this. But, I prefer we don't face Hawthorne in the finals.

Also important to recognise we have games where we are stupidly accurate as well. The Saints and Port games are two of the big ones. Just goes to show how much of it is about confidence.

Not worried about Hawthorn at all. Least of our worries imo.

GWS were definitely the best opponent we've faced in some time.

Payne not coming up last year and perhaps this year could cost us back to back.

Not his or anyone's fault , just one of those unfortunate things out of anyone's control.

But if we bring him back this year ffs make sure he's good to go.

And if not whatever or how long it takes to get him right.

Maybe something to do with us thinking we had it sewn up and found it very difficult to up the amps on our pressure once we slacked off mentally a touch.
How could any player think they had sewn up that game of footy at quarter time.We aint playing the tigers or the roos, GWS are a bloody good football team. Maybe they were dazed about the chances they missed out on. GWS ramped it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back