Preview Round 23 - Collingwood v Brisbane @ The MCG (Saturday 4:35pm AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Hippy confirmation from Fagan at his presser, he's unsure if he'll play this weekend. Payne won't play against Essendon either.
Becoming a worry, Jack Payne fresh up in a big final does not instil me with confidence, he is always off the pace early from an extended break.

Hippy is vital to the way we play and Henry Smith is nowhere near as affective as him in that role, IMO we would be better off going smaller if Hippy's groin becomes chronic.

Becoming a worry, Jack Payne fresh up in a big final does not instil me with confidence, he is always off the pace early from an extended break.

Hippy is vital to the way we play and Henry Smith is nowhere near as affective as him in that role, IMO we would be better off going smaller if Hippy's groin becomes chronic.

Definitely a worry about Payne although he's still a better option than Joyce. Hopefully we get a team with average key forwards

Bodes well for an extended Premiership window, we are not going anywhere anytime soon.
I don't think we are going anywhere anytime soon either. We are evolving nicely, getting quality draftees when our ladder position suggests we shouldn't, locking in our best players for the next few years at least. Injuries this year, while devastating for a title shot this season, has given opportunities to kids that have stood up and shown they have a future. We've probably got to where we are this season because of them.

I don't see us winning the flag this season or even going deep into the finals. All the ACL's, the tall defender injury round about, Hippy's continued struggles, McKenna's form issues, the teams up n down form, have certainly raised the odds against us. Miracles happen sure, and I'm all for the hope that they might, but I'm realistically prepared that they don't. Bit of a Kamala word salad there, but I hope ya get what I mean.

We could really use a longer preseason. Post season surgeries if needed done earlier and recovered earlier, a stronger fitness base to start with, the return of the ACL 4, the inclusion of a cpl of very good draftees, and I'm really bullish about 2025 and beyond.

Same; Smith offers very little up forward and would rather Fort if we're going down this path.

I mean, looking at last week's games, I couldn't find many teams that play two rucks, yet we do against one of the quickest teams around. Truly idiotic. I think there's a good reason most teams don't play two rucks and it beggars belief that we do.

Are we also even certain Charlie gets up? I just hope we go smaller and bring in any of DevRob, Sharp or even Noah to lock down on of their smalls.

I know who'll be tipping if Smith is named. Worked for me last week....

Same; Smith offers very little up forward and would rather Fort if we're going down this path.

I mean, looking at last week's games, I couldn't find many teams that play two rucks, yet we do against one of the quickest teams around. Truly idiotic. I think there's a good reason most teams don't play two rucks and it beggars belief that we do.

Are we also even certain Charlie gets up? I just hope we go smaller and bring in any of DevRob, Sharp or even Noah to lock down on of their smalls.

I know who'll be tipping if Smith is named. Worked for me last week....

🤣

Smith got subbed of then we got smashed in the last quarter 6 goals to 1

And you're using that game as evidence that he shouldn't play

🤣🤣🤣

Actually Smith might have still been in the game when Joe kicked our last

Also a fair chance he was off the field when the Giants made a fast start to the second and kicked the last couple in the third

🤣

Smith got subbed of then we got smashed in the last quarter 6 goals to 1

And you're using that game as evidence that he shouldn't play

🤣🤣🤣

Actually Smith might have still been in the game when Joe kicked our last

Also a fair chance he was off the field when the Giants made a fast start to the second and kicked the last couple in the third
I was a bit on my own here but I thought Smith showed a few smarts in the ruck and once he strengthens up a bit the signs are he could be a very good ruckman. Better than Oscar.

I also didn't mind his positioning and the role he played when not on the ball.

I didn't understand why people seemed to think it was anything todo with him that we got outplayed particularly in the last quarter.

Prior came on and did zilch.

Hipwood missing again is a big worry. Club can spin it as 'minor' as they like, but a 200cm guy missing 3 straight games with a groin injury, a month before finals with his team's season on the line, doesn't really strike as 'minor' to me. I worry if and how he'll fare coming back with that in finals.
Groin injuries seem to be really stubborn affairs. I would certainly err on the side of caution and not risk Hippy...just look at the mess Collingwood have made of DeGoey this year.

I was a bit on my own here but I thought Smith showed a few smarts in the ruck and once he strengthens up a bit the signs are he could be a very good ruckman. Better than Oscar.

I also didn't mind his positioning and the role he played when not on the ball.

I didn't understand why people seemed to think it was anything todo with him that we got outplayed particularly in the last quarter.

Prior came on and did zilch.
I agree Henry has shown good potential as a ruck, but he is nowhere near good enough(yet) to play as the 3rd tall forward, Hippy is miles in front of him in that role which is what you would expect at Henry's stage of his career at the moment.

If Hippy doesn't get up I would prefer to go smaller up front, which would have the added bonus of giving us more run and defensive pressure.
Just on Prior as sub I'd much rather Dev.
I would rather Harry Sharp for his pace and gut running, we have enough inside mids and that is Dev's best position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree Henry has shown good potential as a ruck, but he is nowhere near good enough(yet) to play as the 3rd tall forward, Hippy is miles in front of him in that role which is what you would expect at Henry's stage of his career at the moment.

If Hippy doesn't get up I would prefer to go smaller up front, which would have the added bonus of giving us more run and defensive pressure.

I would rather Harry Sharp for his pace and gut running, we have enough inside mids and that is Dev's best position.
Sharp's improved but his disposal is very suss and he's cleaned that up a bit by resorting to dinky little kicks that usually hit their mark. Likewise he finds it difficult to break tackles. I can see why people want him in the team ,I'm not against giving him a go but my gut feel is he's not quite up to it. But he's gradually gotten better so with another pre season who knows.

Might be in the minority here, but our small defender balance is way off.
We get killed multiple times by the small forward, even though we have Starcevich.

Need Answerth back in to add some grunt to the backline.

GWS do have an unusually large number of good, quick small forwards but I totally agree

Without questioning his endeavour I've never been a great Answerth fan but if we need another lockdown small defender the only 2 choices we have are Answerth and Ah Chee. So with all things considered seeing Ah Chee is doing a good job where he is that only leaves Answerth.

It was a bit disconcerting on Saturday to see Greene get totally blanketed out of the game and us being cut up by pace and zip in our back half in the last quarter.

If it’s groin soreness keeping him out and they’re unsure week to week then maybe Hipwood has Osteitis Pubis?

The smaller forward line this week is a worry but it won’t become a factor if we just get the job done in the midfield and finish our chances.

Sharp's improved but his disposal is very suss and he's cleaned that up a bit by resorting to dinky little kicks that usually hit their mark. Likewise he finds it difficult to break tackles. I can see why people want him in the team ,I'm not against giving him a go but my gut feel is he's not quite up to it. But he's gradually gotten better so with another pre season who knows.
Dev's kicking is problematic as well, rarely hits any sort of nuanced target and hack kicks a lot.

I like knaf suggestion of McLachlan if we go small, solidly built, competitive, really good overhead and gets to good spots, very quick as well from the few live VFL games I have been to.

Does anyone know if Charlie Cameron is right for this week, after sustaining that foot injury last week while celebrating Daniher's goal. I haven't seen him in any photos at training this week on social media.

Dev's kicking is problematic as well, rarely hits any sort of nuanced target and hack kicks a lot.

I like knaf suggestion of McLachlan if we go small, solidly built, competitive, really good overhead and gets to good spots, very quick as well from the few live VFL games I have been to.

Sorry but I don't want any more debutants in the team. Blooding young players has been good for us this year, but we are very short on experience. Smith has contributed ok but we've missed Hippy so badly.

I wouldn't bother with Dev either, but not interested in another kid sitting in the forward line.

Sorry but I don't want any more debutants in the team. Blooding young players has been good for us this year, but we are very short on experience. Smith has contributed ok but we've missed Hippy so badly.

I wouldn't bother with Dev either, but not interested in another kid sitting in the forward line.
If we don't get Hipwood back and I'm already resigned to Payne being very unlikely then we've got problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back