Preview Round 23 - Collingwood v Brisbane @ The MCG (Saturday 4:35pm AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but I don't want any more debutants in the team. Blooding young players has been good for us this year, but we are very short on experience. Smith has contributed ok but we've missed Hippy so badly.

I wouldn't bother with Dev either, but not interested in another kid sitting in the forward line.
I can’t see any alternative to McLachlan or Smith to maintain a forward structure. McLachlan has played 4 less games than Smith. He is physically mature and strongly built. Yes our inexperience is an issue. But injuries have restricted our options. I respect your opinion, do you see other options?

If we don't get Hipwood back and I'm already resigned to Payne being very unlikely then we've got problems.
Agree.

Bloody injuries at the wrong time, I know every team has injuries but arguably if one of Payne or Ashcroft was right for the 2023 GF we win... this year we could be without Payne again and Hipwood. :(

Agree.

Bloody injuries at the wrong time, I know every team has injuries but arguably if one of Payne or Ashcroft was right for the 2023 GF we win... this year we could be without Payne again and Hipwood. :(
Well apart from our ACL's , Hipwood and Payne on top of it is just too much firepower gone.

So let's hope we can get them right

If it’s groin soreness keeping him out and they’re unsure week to week then maybe Hipwood has Osteitis Pubis?

The smaller forward line this week is a worry but it won’t become a factor if we just get the job done in the midfield and finish our chances.
yep could be. You could see he was off the field complaining about it at the end of the third Q against the Suns.

Agree.

Key position players getting injured in finals has cost us several seasons recently. Was it McStay and Payne getting knocked out 2 weeks in a row, Payne last year, and I think there was another. Its part of the reason I push rotation and things so often during the year as we keep running out of senior players at the pointy end.

I know Prior has been criticised a lot for not doing a lot after he came on last week, but honestly I wasnt sure we used him well. Again it looked like he was parked away and not put in a position to make any impact. We seem to be going back to not putting the sub in the action and using the fresh legs

I can’t see any alternative to McLachlan or Smith to maintain a forward structure. McLachlan has played 4 less games than Smith. He is physically mature and strongly built. Yes our inexperience is an issue. But injuries have restricted our options. I respect your opinion, do you see other options?

I'm pretty clear that Smith keeps playing if Hippy isn't fit. Smith is 21 and plays a role in the ruck - original post was about going in even smaller in the forward line with McLachlan which I can't get behind.

If we had linc on the bench who I know can try compete in the air then I'd be more open to it, but if we aren't playing smith then Logan becomes our #1 key forward when Joe does relief rucking, which clearly is not sustainable.

I'd keep a more experienced player as the sub option while Bruce is out too. Doesn't have to be prior, but answerth would be a decent option.

Hopefully this isn’t any issue either.
From training this morning.
Was it a foot issue earlier in the year for Zac?

View attachment 2079996

Key position players getting injured in finals has cost us several seasons recently. Was it McStay and Payne getting knocked out 2 weeks in a row, Payne last year, and I think there was another. Its part of the reason I push rotation and things so often during the year as we keep running out of senior players at the pointy end.

I know Prior has been criticised a lot for not doing a lot after he came on last week, but honestly I wasnt sure we used him well. Again it looked like he was parked away and not put in a position to make any impact. We seem to be going back to not putting the sub in the action and using the fresh legs
the irony with McStay and Payne they were both virtually knocked out in finals by friendly fire

I'm pretty clear that Smith keeps playing if Hippy isn't fit. Smith is 21 and plays a role in the ruck - original post was about going in even smaller in the forward line with McLachlan which I can't get behind.

If we had linc on the bench who I know can try compete in the air then I'd be more open to it, but if we aren't playing smith then Logan becomes our #1 key forward when Joe does relief rucking, which clearly is not sustainable.

I'd keep a more experienced player as the sub option while Bruce is out too. Doesn't have to be prior, but answerth would be a decent option.
Can't go in with just Daniher and Morris for the reason you outlined.

We really miss Hipwood for our structure.

But in his absence Smith it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest, my expectations for the season have been lowered considerably. It' feels unreasonable to expect a flag with the amount of disruption caused by injuries this year.
tend to agree, however, I have been proven wrong so far, I had us outside of the 8, or at best just making it after GWS flogged us in Canberra. Win the next two, hopefully Eric and Payne back for finals, and with our finals experience we are a very good chance.

Injuries have hit hard this year, the obvious ACL's, although it gave us a good look at Kai and Morris and I very much like what I have seen. A few players had off seasons OPs and no doubt Neal was injured early in the season, Zack out with syndesmosis for 5 or so weeks and probably came back too soon. Payne IIRC looked very sore in a couple of games about mid season, so suspect because of the ACL's he has been playing with foot/leg issues for a few games, but that is not a bad thing as it has allowed Joyce to get a bit of experience, and yes had some moments but valuable experience and have to remember he is virtually our 5th KPD.

Didn't Oscar McInerney get knocked out early in a final as well :think: ... or was that a H&A game?
I am not sure, I think Big O has had a couple of concussions, but I do remember McStay getting a knee and Payne getting a knee or elbow in consecutive finals.

I am not sure, I think Big O has had a couple of concussions, but I do remember McStay getting a knee and Payne getting a knee or elbow in consecutive finals.

2021 finals - mcstay knocked out against the Dees in the qualifying final, Payne played forward (eric already out with an ACL) and got knocked out against the dogs. Berry also got knocked out and we went down by less than a kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back