Preview Round 23 - Collingwood v Brisbane @ The MCG (Saturday 4:35pm AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's come a week late, but Harry Sharp is IN!

oh, and Eric Hipwood. For now...

COLLINGWOOD v BRISBANE LIONS

Saturday August 17, 4:35pm at the MCG

MAGPIES

B: B.Frampton, D.Moore - C, B.Maynard

HB: J.Noble, W.Hoskin-Elliott, I.Quaynor

C: S.Sidebottom, J.Crisp, J.Daicos

HF: B.Hill, L.Schultz, J.Elliott

F: B.McCreery, D.McStay, J.Howe

FOLL: D.Cameron, N.Daicos, S.Pendlebury

I/C: P.Lipinski, J.Bytel, N.Long, W.Parker, M.Cox

EMG: H.DeMattia, E.Allan, J.Richards

IN: W.Parker

OUT: J.Richards (Omitted)

LIONS

B: D.Zorko, H.Andrews - C, B.Starcevich

HB: D.Wilmot, R.Lester, D.Joyce

C: J.Fletcher, W.Ashcroft, H.McCluggage

HF: C.Rayner, J.Daniher, J.Berry

F: C.Cameron, L.Morris, C.Ah Chee

FOLL: O.McInerney, J.Dunkley, L.Neale

I/C: K.Lohmann, H.Sharp, E.Hipwood, Z.Bailey, S.Brain

EMG: D.Robertson, J.Madden, H.Smith

IN: H.Sharp, E.Hipwood

OUT: J.Prior (Omitted), H.Smith (Omitted)

Love the ins, fantastic to see Harry Sharp get a crack.

5 on the bench > [1] Kai Lohmann,[22] Harry Sharp,[30] Eric Hipwood,[33] Zac Bailey,[34] Shadeau Brain.

Would like to see Harry start and Zac or Shadeau as the sub.

Key position players getting injured in finals has cost us several seasons recently. Was it McStay and Payne getting knocked out 2 weeks in a row, Payne last year, and I think there was another. Its part of the reason I push rotation and things so often during the year as we keep running out of senior players at the pointy end.

Dizzy was a late out for the 2020 Prelim. We also had dramas in 2022 with Oscar being concussed in the opening minutes of the Elimination Final and then Joe pulling out of the Semi Final. Both of the latter we overcame funnily enough.

I know Prior has been criticised a lot for not doing a lot after he came on last week, but honestly I wasnt sure we used him well. Again it looked like he was parked away and not put in a position to make any impact. We seem to be going back to not putting the sub in the action and using the fresh legs

Prior is fine as an undersized key back. It's expecting him to play as a running half back I have an issue with. Poor choice as sub given his relative lack of versatility.

I was a bit on my own here but I thought Smith showed a few smarts in the ruck and once he strengthens up a bit the signs are he could be a very good ruckman. Better than Oscar.

I also didn't mind his positioning and the role he played when not on the ball.

I didn't understand why people seemed to think it was anything todo with him that we got outplayed particularly in the last quarter.

Prior came on and did zilch.
100%. Oscar failed to adjust to the one simple change GWS made with positioning and lost virtually every contest thereafter.

Smith on the the other hand at least neutralised the ruck and to be honest I think he was the wrong sub in hindsight.

Hippy plays but if not Smith plays.

I think Brain will be the 7th defender. I don't see anyone else that plays that role other than Ah-Chee.
Lohmann plays
Bailey plays
That leaves Sharp the sub i recon. I don't see anyone named on the field that could be sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hippy plays but if not Smith plays.

I think Brain will be the 7th defender. I don't see anyone else that plays that role other than Ah-Chee.
Lohmann plays
Bailey plays
That leaves Sharp the sub i recon. I don't see anyone named on the field that could be sub.
I liked Fletcher's game when he was the sub a few weeks ago.

Last week was a glitch - the take a moment before the pressure hits. Opps, moment was too long.

We have shown we can hyperfocus and I expect that back in full this week when they return to their worst loss of the last 12 months. Professional, calm demolition. Lions by 22.

Last edited:
I liked Fletcher's game when he was the sub a few weeks ago.

Fletcher has only copped the sub role once this year v Demons R16.
That tells me he is one of the preferred wingers in Fagans's mind.
However, Fletcher has been a bit up and down in his 2nd year.
Fagan may want to freshen him up a bit going into finals, so i suppose being sub is a chance for him.
He was one of the players that could have performed much better last week

Fletcher has only copped the sub role once this year v Demons R16.
That tells me he is one of the preferred wingers in Fagans's mind.
Yep. The only real competition he has is Reville [who started ahead of Fletcher against the Dees]. Fagan must prefer having Bruce as sub + depth over starting squad member like Fletcher is.

I dunno where people see that Sharp could go with Daicos.

One is a generational champ and the other struggles to get a game in a side that is crying out for someone pacey if they had some of the other attributes to play AFL.

Beats me.
Seriously?

A run with role is a negating role. Sharp is by far and away the best runner in the whole competition. And it's actually not even close.

Daicos is bloody smart, but he is not actually fast. Sharp can stay with Daicos the whole game. He just has to maintain concentration and not lose Daicos in traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back