Autopsy Round 23 vs Carlton Blues @ The Bank - 19/08/23 - 2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Was shocked to see that were about 15th in the league for tackles.

For a side that supposedly plays contested footy, and has the league leading tackler.. it's pretty disappointing.

Looking at a few offenders - outside of Holman up front, the forwards are pretty bad.

Ainsworth - high half forward averaging 1.8 per match.
League comparisons: Neal-Bullen 4.6, Switkowski 3.8, Rachelle 3.3, Powell-Pepper 3.3, Miers 2.9

King -0.5 per match

Lukosius - 1 per match

Rosas - had 0 tackles as many times as he has had >3 tackles per game

Makes me wonder whether trying Davies in place of Holman is also a decent shout.
He's never going to be a full time centre square midfielder with our other mids.
He will need to play that forward defensive role at times who can take a mark if he ever establishes himself as a best 22 player.
We know he'll tackle
He gives us that big centre square midfielder when required too.

Ainsworth ain’t kicking enough snags.
I’d love to see him coming running off half back.
He is hard quick plays taller then his size.. good skills

Could breath another life into him.
A bit like Daniel Rioli

A bit like Daniel Rioli
He was solid last year for goals and goal assists. One of the best goal assist players in the league, actually. Just fallen off this year a bit. Still contributes and does more than some of our other smalls, but that’s not saying much.

Think with Rankine gone he just didn’t have the same role to play and ended up in no man’s land, tbh.

He was solid last year for goals and goal assists. One of the best goal assist players in the league, actually. Just fallen off this year a bit. Still contributes and does more than some of our other smalls, but that’s not saying much.

Think with Rankine gone he just didn’t have the same role to play and ended up in no man’s land, tbh.

I thought so about the assists myself. But wasn’t totally sure.
Don’t most scores start at the half backline
He is a good compact hard footballer reminds me of Laird prob more X factor though

Was shocked to see that were about 15th in the league for tackles.

For a side that supposedly plays contested footy, and has the league leading tackler.. it's pretty disappointing.

Looking at a few offenders - outside of Holman up front, the forwards are pretty bad.

Ainsworth - high half forward averaging 1.8 per match.
League comparisons: Neal-Bullen 4.6, Switkowski 3.8, Rachelle 3.3, Powell-Pepper 3.3, Miers 2.9

King -0.5 per match

Lukosius - 1 per match

Rosas - had 0 tackles as many times as he has had >3 tackles per game

Makes me wonder whether trying Davies in place of Holman is also a decent shout.
He's never going to be a full time centre square midfielder with our other mids.
He will need to play that forward defensive role at times who can take a mark if he ever establishes himself as a best 22 player.
We know he'll tackle
He gives us that big centre square midfielder when required too.
We’d have to be right up the top for attempted tackles though surely. The amount of tackles we do where they can still get a handball out is insane and is a contributor to how easy we are to score against, with the opposition able to just keep the ball moving. And it’s not even a lack of strength, just poor technique that fails to wrap up the ball.

A bit like Daniel Rioli
To be fair, he has played further up the ground on the wing probably more than he has played within 30m of the goals this year. It’s a bit of a different role for him and averaging 17 touches and a goal getting involved hasn’t been too bad, but again, our bomb it long gameplan under Dew really took him out of it as we just kick it over his head.

If we can develop a more precise, rebounding buildup under Hardwick, I expect Ainsworth to be one to thrive.

We’d have to be right up the top for attempted tackles though surely. The amount of tackles we do where they can still get a handball out is insane and is a contributor to how easy we are to score against, with the opposition able to just keep the ball moving. And it’s not even a lack of strength, just poor technique that fails to wrap up the ball.
100%

Chol in if King stays rested? Let McLaughlin and Burgess shoot it out in the VFL for the Frosty?

Moyle in for Witta, now that finals are gone?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Chol in if King stays rested? Let McLaughlin and Burgess to shoot it out in the VFL for the Frosty?

Moyle in for Witta, now that finals are gone?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
would like to see this
I like Chol and think he's one of those players better at AFL level than VFL
He gets judged for his casual approach but that's just his persona
I judge him more on his tank and fitness tbh but still think he's a 3 model upgrade on Day

would like to see this
I judge him more on his tank and fitness tbh but still think he's a 3 model upgrade on Day
I like Chol too and I honestly can’t believe we don’t have space for him in the team sometimes. His movement and step when he gets the ball off the ground is great. Just glides around players. And his field kicking is actually pretty good.

That he can get goals in chaos play, out the back of a marking contest and from a mark is very underrated.

would like to see this
If Day keeps his spot l'm really going to be pissed off. l mean really pissed off.
Chol and others are still developing. Day has been unbelievably cooked for 5 years. It really is dumbfounding and stupid playing him above others who are not only still developing but also deserve the opportunity far more than Day.

On CPH2333 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Day keeps his spot l'm really going to be pissed off. l mean really pissed off.
Chol and others are still developing. Day has been unbelievably cooked for 5 years. It really is dumbfounding and stupid playing him above others who are not only still developing but also deserve the opportunity far more than Day.

Sam prob get his 1 more home game to say farewell

Sam prob get his 1 more home game to say farewell
Surely not.

He’s obviously well respected in the club, but it’s not like fans will be showing up in droves to see his final game..

My Team:

FB: Lemmens - Collins - Andrew
HB: Long - Ballard - Atkins
W: Ellis - Miller - Swallow
HF: Ainsworth - Lukosius - Humphrey
FF: Rosas - Casboult - Chol

R: Witts - Anderson - Rowell

I: Farrar (wing/forward) - Flanders - Davies (pressure forward/centre bounce rotation) - Macpherson

S: Hollands

He was the worst rated player last week in fantasy points. Worse than hollands who got subbed and this guy was supposed to be key forward

Someone check on MarcLocksCrustySock he would be as excited as Big Kev!!!
Excited Nick Lachey GIF by Nickelodeon

Well at least a few changes might happen. This is a good one and makes more sense than trying someone like Burgess or McLaughlin to me—as Lloyd will 100% be part of our future plans if he can develop the way we want. He plays in a position of absolute need with Weller out and Powell injured.

Might mean Atkins or someone else goes to a wing more too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23 vs Carlton Blues @ The Bank - 19/08/23 - 2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back