Autopsy Round 23 vs Carlton Blues @ The Bank - 19/08/23 - 2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Very happy to see Budarick back but surely he's not going to play forward on Saturday...

Steven King must be playing a few mind games and naming players out of position. That or Dimma is already turning some screws.

Hopefully Chol can come in and take his chance. If he can play in front and we deliver it in like we did in the first half last week, he should get plenty of chances. Shouldn’t have to play in the ruck with Levi in either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess King had a bit of a concern at training and they aren't taking any risks.

Massive for Chol, really need to show something in this game or his books are probably stamped with Walter coming in next year.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Out: Josh Drummond
In: Damien Hardwick

Reckon Dimma is picking the Side? Apart from last couple of weeks DMAC has been playing pretty well . Surprised hes lasted all year to be dropped 2Nd last game.
With Lemmens coming back in he has been playing not exclusively in the defence recently. Spent some time forward.

Kind of left without a position.

Also 53% disposal efficiency when most were uncontested isn’t ideal.

Out: Josh Drummond
In: Damien Hardwick

Funnily enough I have a google nest hub and you ask it who the coach of the Gold Coast suns is and it says Josh Drummond

It's a small milestone but if Secco kicks a goal tomorrow then it'll be his 73rd all time at Carrara and he'll overtake Ablett's Carrara goal tally (72) which will move him into fourth overall behind Tom Lynch (139), Brad Hardie (98) and Roger Merrett (84). It's been a bit of a grind for Secco lately but I reckon a change of coach will give him a new form of motivation to get back into the team and he's surprisingly still in his 20s so he's technically in his physical prime right now. Hardwick has a history of getting the best out of new additions in their prime like Prestia, Houli, Pickett, Nankervis etc so perhaps we'll see some more of Sexton in the AFL next season. I think we can all agree that there's still a small forward spot up for grabs right now and that's what Secco should be gunning for.

It's a small milestone but if Secco kicks a goal tomorrow then it'll be his 73rd all time at Carrara and he'll overtake Ablett's Carrara goal tally (72) which will move him into fourth overall behind Tom Lynch (139), Brad Hardie (98) and Roger Merrett (84). It's been a bit of a grind for Secco lately but I reckon a change of coach will give him a new form of motivation to get back into the team and he's surprisingly still in his 20s so he's technically in his physical prime right now. Hardwick has a history of getting the best out of new additions in their prime like Prestia, Houli, Pickett, Nankervis etc so perhaps we'll see some more of Sexton in the AFL next season. I think we can all agree that there's still a small forward spot up for grabs right now and that's what Secco should be gunning for.
Good on him. Hope he smashes it!

With Chol and Sexton, plus Johnston and Budders, we’ve certainly gone more speed at ground level. Maybe that means a more attacking mindset, which I don’t mind seeing.

King has clearly asked for a trade to Hawthorn and the club is sitting him out!!!!!!
I swear to god

42ff5f26-6b22-4337-8106-dbe47092e2f3_text.gif

AFL R23: Gold Coast Suns vs Carlton Blues Preview – A chance to spoil
Of those that were dropped I was most sorry to see Hollands and Farrar out. I think they are both potentially best-22 players who just need a run of games under their belt to progress in the same way Mac Andrew has. Hollands is so clearly lacking in confidence compared to when he debuted in 2022. I know what Macpherson brings so I am fine with him having a week out and Sam Day shouldn’t have played last week anyway.

AFL R23: Gold Coast Suns vs Carlton Blues Preview – A chance to spoil
Of those that were dropped I was most sorry to see Hollands and Farrar out. I think they are both potentially best-22 players who just need a run of games under their belt to progress in the same way Mac Andrew has. Hollands is so clearly lacking in confidence compared to when he debuted in 2022. I know what Macpherson brings so I am fine with him having a week out and Sam Day shouldn’t have played last week anyway.
Sorry, but both Hollands and Farrar were ordinary against Swans (and previous games too), IMO. Especially Hollands, who should be dropped earlier (got 5 games in a row to prove himself).

Main question for me is 'Can Suns bring the same motivation they had going into QClash'. I doubt, the season is over.

As for Sexton's weak points, I believe Steven King mentioned in his presser that Sexton was told to work on his defensive transition.

BTW, Chol has very good relationship with Harwick. He actually lived for some time with his family. It doesn't mean he will play a lot under Hardwick.

Suns would be stupid to let Chol go. A couple of injuries and we are in trouble. He is a good depth and not on a lot of money as per rumour. He probably also enjoys having his family close by.

Not excited about Johnston debut? He got some promising traits.

Last edited:
Sorry, but both Hollands and Farrar were ordinary against Swans (and previous games too), IMO. Especially Hollands, who should be dropped earlier (got 5 games in a row to prove himself).

Main question for me is 'Can Suns bring the same motivation they had going into QClash'. I doubt, the season is over.

As for Sexton's weak points, I believe Steven King mentioned in his presser that Sexton was told to work in his defensive transition.

BTW, Chol has very good relationship with Harwick. He actually lived for some time with his family. It doesn't mean he will play a lot under Hardwick. Suns would be stupid to let go Chol. A couple of injuries and we are in trouble. He is a good depth and not on a lot of money as per rumour. He probably also enjoys having his family close by.
In regards to King’s VFL comments, I think Sexton gets back to defence a fair bit and also plays more up the ground a lot more than he used to.

Agreed that Chol cannot be let go. Under any circumstances (short of a god tier offer).

King is injured this week, Chol comes in. Casboult is going round again, but what can we really expect from him next season, in all honesty? That’s our “tall” (as in, actually 198+) depth right there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23 vs Carlton Blues @ The Bank - 19/08/23 - 2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back