Preview Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 30th March, 4:20PM AEDT *HASTIE DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Bombers

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 65 83.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They split the ruck pretty evenly last week against Grundy and both got on the scoreboard.

Wouldn’t be dismissive of the combo.

This is a big and challenging match up for Marshall to shoulder. They are 2 200+cm and well built rucks. One has a huge tank and the other can definitely move in traffic if he gets going.

IMO It will probably be a very good game to throw a marker down to the competitions rucks about who is the the early AA ruck.

I reckon they’ll drop Goldy for this game.

He didn’t take all the kick ins.

Yes I understand that, but he still took some.

Don't get me wrong, I am really very excited by Arie too. He looks to be a very good talent in the making for us. A real find, and especially so late in the draft.

But our "vacancies" at present in the firsts are:

• Wing : This requires a massive tank. I doubt Arie has it yet. Wing is both an offensive and defensive role. Both are vital, and without that defensive run we get exposed.
  • Wing/HF/Mid release (Henry was doing all three) ; Massive tank, agility and pace. Arie does not have these
  • Key Forward: Caminiti is the logical choice.
  • Sub: Certainly open to this. I think we should be using the Sub spot to give our youth a taste of seniors. Garcia for me is the better choice this week.

With Wright out, we also most likely do not need an extra tall option down back this week.

Some may say move Cordy, or Battle forward. I am not one of them. Keep Wilkie, Battle and Cordy as our talls down back.

Arie's boot is a weapon, but we already have Nas, Bonner, Sinclair and Battle down back to use the ball very well coming out of defence.

You would imagine that’s what it was.

I wasn’t told what.

Just that it was what saint mike said. Feet on the ground. Clipped a few for easing up throughout the game

There were a few that were highlighted, Wilson’s millionaire blind handball and a blaze at the goals when there were better team options were both raised. He’ll learn from those.

Hes also one of those "hurt you with 10 touch" players. His goal on the weekend was class. I think in the contest hes still working on getting that decision making and spatial awareness (noting at AFL level its insanely fast) but hes not making glaring errors either.
For sure remind or Trac when he started where would either be rushed or take too long but not make the wrong decision. After about 50 games it clicked for him.

I think the obvious is Butler for Henry and Caminiti for King and Shoenmaker as sub. Hopefully we start to get some more players back before too long its starting to really bite again. Look for Windhager and Jones to have big games their speed out of congestion will trouble the Bombers.

I amazed the club tried to get Crouch through with his knee, when he was obviously really restricted as far back as the practice match. Anyway hopefully he gets it sorted and can get back to full pace for the 2nd half of the season.

Hoping for a win - but above all no more injuries please!

Im not a knee surgeon but Crouches issue may not have been coming up on scans readily so the question was "play and hope it settles" or go forward with surgery and guarantee 6 weeks off.

If they rest Goldy does that mean he had a big weekend? Collingwood managed a player for R1 which I found intriguing.

Im not a knee surgeon but Crouches issue may not have been coming up on scans readily so the question was "play and hope it settles" or go forward with surgery and guarantee 6 weeks off.
reinjured it.

Thought he could play through it - turns out he couldn’t.

If they rest Goldy does that mean he had a big weekend? Collingwood managed a player for R1 which I found intriguing.
Tom Mitchell yeah? That was just a cordial dropping IMO, he's past his best and will likely be dropped again this season.

Writing was on the wall for him last year when he was subbed multiple times, even though he ended up having a good grand final performance.

It will be interesting next time a De Goey type gets "managed" as the innuendo will be immense.

Yes I understand that, but he still took some.

Don't get me wrong, I am really very excited by Arie too. He looks to be a very good talent in the making for us. A real find, and especially so late in the draft.

But our "vacancies" at present in the firsts are:

• Wing : This requires a massive tank. I doubt Arie has it yet. Wing is both an offensive and defensive role. Both are vital, and without that defensive run we get exposed.
  • Wing/HF/Mid release (Henry was doing all three) ; Massive tank, agility and pace. Arie does not have these
  • Key Forward: Caminiti is the logical choice.
  • Sub: Certainly open to this. I think we should be using the Sub spot to give our youth a taste of seniors. Garcia for me is the better choice this week.

With Wright out, we also most likely do not need an extra tall option down back this week.

Some may say move Cordy, or Battle forward. I am not one of them. Keep Wilkie, Battle and Cordy as our talls down back.

Arie's boot is a weapon, but we already have Nas, Bonner, Sinclair and Battle down back to use the ball very well coming out of defence.
Vacancies are not necessarily the roles we want in the side.

They want more intercept marking across half back and more ball users who can break the game open for us.

Arie fits both of those.

They can rotate numerous players through the wings if they don’t believe he has the tank.

This isn’t as cut and dry as you believe. Now whether he plays this week. I don’t know. But if he doesn’t - he won’t be far off barring injury.

Something will click with Pou, like it looks like it has with Windy.

I think his body is still somewhat boyish. Hardly surprising as he was recruited so young. Poo is ONLY 11 days older than Arie!!! And 3 months older than Collard.

Wilson is 8 months younger though. BUT, Wilson is an absolute athletic freak who is also playing an outside non body contact type role. Whereas to play inside mid Poo is mainly against developed men who are out bustling him.

Windy is 20 months older and joined us a with a man-child body.

I think he mainly needs more time to build his body for him to play as an inside mid.

Keep playing him every week for mine.

For the moment that mainly means playing utility with occasional midfield bursts.

There is an argument though that if we want him to become an inside mid that a run of games at Sandy where he could play fulltime mid would be good for his development.

With our current injury list his place in the 22 is pretty safe. But if our injury list reduces, Windy stays in good midfield form and Wilson and Byrnes both continue their form that the Pou may get squeezed out. Our injuries make that unlikely till mid season though.

At the moment with injuries though we are losing players quicker, than we are getting players back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Mitchell yeah? That was just a cordial dropping IMO, he's past his best and will likely be dropped again this season.

Writing was on the wall for him last year when he was subbed multiple times, even though he ended up having a good grand final performance.

It will be interesting next time a De Goey type gets "managed" as the innuendo will be immense.

I shan't name names, but a gentleman can peruse the team sheet. Titch had a lower year by his standards although still managed to average 25 disposals and 6 tackles (which includes games he was subbed) and had a good run from R22 - the GF. Nothing to be sneezed (or sniffed) at.

. Now whether he plays this week. I don’t know. But if he doesn’t - he won’t be far off barring injury.

Yes I agree he is in the mix. Especially for the Sub Role this week.

Arie looks to be one of our better young talents not in the 22 at present.

Last edited:

crouch also needed 1 game to hit his contract trigger point

They split the ruck pretty evenly last week against Grundy and both got on the scoreboard.

Wouldn’t be dismissive of the combo.

This is a big and challenging match up for Marshall to shoulder. They are 2 200+cm and well built rucks. One has a huge tank and the other can definitely move in traffic if he gets going.

IMO It will probably be a very good game to throw a marker down to the competitions rucks about who is the the early AA ruck.
I've been critical of the use of Owens in the ruck but his performance last week was fantastic. Not sure if he can expect to "manhandle" Draper (like he did Cox and Cameron on occasions) but the combined ruck performance of Marshall and Owens was excellent.

Still like to see Jack Hayes back in that role which would then free up Mitch to run through the midfield.

Starting midfield - Marshall Steele Windy and Owens 🍾:star:

As much as people would like to see Arie - I can't see him getting a game as the sub this week. Sharman has shown he can be used as a swing man if needed so I'd be going for some more run and pressure from the sub.

14 possessions, 14 tackles, 2 clearances and goal from Garcia - he'd be my pick.

Great to see the boss keeping a lid on things yesterday before training, politely telling some supporters to keep things in perspective after they clapped the players onto the ground, then clapped him!
“It’s only one game, keep it in perspective” said the boss!!
I must admit I found that a bit strange when i heard the clapping. With no disrespect intended, you do get some interesting types at training so I just put it down to that.

I've been critical of the use of Owens in the ruck but his performance last week was fantastic. Not sure if he can expect to "manhandle" Draper (like he did Cox and Cameron on occasions) but the combined ruck performance of Marshall and Owens was excellent.

Still like to see Jack Hayes back in that role which would then free up Mitch to run through the midfield.

Starting midfield - Marshall Steele Windy and Owens 🍾:star:

As much as people would like to see Arie - I can't see him getting a game as the sub this week. Sharman has shown he can be used as a swing man if needed so I'd be going for some more run and pressure from the sub.

14 possessions, 14 tackles, 2 clearances and goal from Garcia - he'd be my pick.
I think Arie is a chance as Sharman must stay forward, without King this week he could be an x-factor kicking 4+ goals .

Gonna be interesting to see how we look to gain superiority once other teams have matched our run. Might take a year or even less.

Also interested to see if our superior running is sustainable deep into finals. Injuries are already mounting.
Looking at our group there's Wilson, Windy, Henry, Byrnes and Wood plus Hugo that are all elite runners. Other clubs will catch up withe fitness but we should still have the edge.

I must admit I found that a bit strange when i heard the clapping. With no disrespect intended, you do get some interesting types at training so I just put it down to that.
Yes it’s been a bugbear of mine for ages…it was a small victory in the scheme of things.
Over the years we’ve had a good win then followed it up with an ordinary performance.
I think, as supporters we were proud but we too have to move on & set ourselves for the next challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back