Preview Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 30th March, 4:20PM AEDT *HASTIE DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Bombers

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 65 83.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ross had that reputation of having his faves and then not giving a rats ass about the 10-15 on the list he didnt care about.

He doesnt seem to have that anymore and seems to have embraced the guys he perhaps doesnt love but have their own strengths. Hes always been forthright and honest (brutally at times) but even I having had my reservations about him have been impressed with Ross MK3
I think you are maybe confusing his preference to back in his top 10-15 - who seem to always have this favourite narrative attached to them.

But talking to Khan Haretaku and Gaerter back in the day. He was always great with them. Until he delisted one of them 😜

I think you are maybe confusing his preference to back in his top 10-15 - who seem to always have this favourite narrative attached to them.

But talking to Khan Haretaku and Gaerter back in the day. He was always great with them. Until he delisted one of them 😜
Maybe, id heard from former players that he was great as a coach but for the non chosen few he didnt give you alot of time

Spoke to Hunts today. 3-4 weeks away no setbacks which probably means it was a significant calf injury
John phone number.....yes........it was quite a significant injury.....apparently quite a rare type of calf injury......thus the lengthy time on the sidelines.

Just another chapter to his incredibly bad luck with serious/semi serious injuries.

Interestingly with Mattaes.

His touch has clearly been an issue with him.

But he is averaging 20 pressure acts a game and a few in the back half.

Apparently that is what has been easing any concerns- work rate is absolutely there still
I've said it before with Pou, I think at the moment he is doing a lot of the hard things. Meaning, that a lot of his dispposals are touch in the contest disposals. He just needs a game where he gets some freebies, easy possessions. I think as soon as he has one big game, his confidence will sky rocket.

Maybe, id heard from former players that he was great as a coach but for the non chosen few he didnt give you alot of time
The only real knock I had heard that was abit over the top.

Was a few stories of the boss feeling like someone didn’t work hard enough to get to a contest and impact it and sitting them in the magoos for a lengthy period.

And they were across both clubs. He back then wasn’t interested in what a few boys had to say. He felt they didn’t give enough and back they went. Banished.

I've said it before with Pou, I think at the moment he is doing a lot of the hard things. Meaning, that a lot of his dispposals are touch in the contest disposals. He just needs a game where he gets some freebies, easy possessions. I think as soon as he has one big game, his confidence will sky rocket.
Hes also one of those "hurt you with 10 touch" players. His goal on the weekend was class. I think in the contest hes still working on getting that decision making and spatial awareness (noting at AFL level its insanely fast) but hes not making glaring errors either.

The only real knock I had heard that was abit over the top.

Was a few stories of the boss feeling like someone didn’t work hard enough to get to a contest and impact it and sitting them in the magoos for a lengthy period.

And they were across both clubs. He back then wasn’t interested in what a few boys had to say. He felt they didn’t give enough and back they went. Banished.
Yeh i think were sort of saying the same thing.

In any event the lead of the story is that hes improved and seems more balanced now.

Great to see the boss keeping a lid on things yesterday before training, politely telling some supporters to keep things in perspective after they clapped the players onto the ground, then clapped him!
“It’s only one game, keep it in perspective” said the boss!!
Training tomorrow saintmike?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apparently that is what has been easing any concerns- work rate is absolutely there still
When it is not happening for you, you need to contribute in any way you can. When he had a chance to make an impact he took it with the 55 metre bomb in the 4th.

Great to hear he is working as hard as possible. These hard days will keep him.in good stead.

This more then most.

Usually it’s against another good ruck.

This is against 2 behemoths and traditionally Goldstein does well against him
I reckon Sam Draper is incredibly overrated. If he played for North he'd barely get a mention.

Very happy with Marshall v Goldy and Draper playing primarily as a fwd v our defence.

Gee our depth is struggling if big Mike is pulling on a jumper 😩
Very good there Dard.

For the record.......mike would be a foward flanker in a previous life.

I reckon he'd model himself on George Young.

;);)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Sam Draper is incredibly overrated. If he played for North he'd barely get a mention.

Very happy with Marshall v Goldy and Draper playing primarily as a fwd v our defence.
They split the ruck pretty evenly last week against Grundy and both got on the scoreboard.

Wouldn’t be dismissive of the combo.

This is a big and challenging match up for Marshall to shoulder. They are 2 200+cm and well built rucks. One has a huge tank and the other can definitely move in traffic if he gets going.

IMO It will probably be a very good game to throw a marker down to the competitions rucks about who is the the early AA ruck.

Hes also one of those "hurt you with 10 touch" players. His goal on the weekend was class. I think in the contest hes still working on getting that decision making and spatial awareness (noting at AFL level its insanely fast) but hes not making glaring errors either.

He was really proppy after last weeks game and according to others he has been carrying a hip problem into the season. Players work through playing with injury differently but at the end of the day most are affected and not at 100%.

When it is not happening for you, you need to contribute in any way you can. When he had a chance to make an impact he took it with the 55 metre bomb in the 4th.

Great to hear he is working as hard as possible. These hard days will keep him.in good stead.

Looks down on confidence to me - almost probably trying too hard and second guessing himself. I suspect he had a big preseason and was promised midfield time and to be honest has really struggled in there including the trial games. After last week Windy is well ahead of him for a midfield slot and is quicker and seems a more natural athlete. Doesn’t mean Pou won’t make it as a midfielder - just takes more time.

If we didn’t have this injury list I would have sent him back to Sandy for a few weeks as a full on midfielder and hopefully he dominated and then straight back in - but not an option now.

I’m sure RTB will be saying just play your role and keep doing the team things and you will be fine.

Looks down on confidence to me - almost probably trying too hard and second guessing himself. I suspect he had a big preseason and was promised midfield time and to be honest has really struggled in there including the trial games. After last week Windy is well ahead of him for a midfield slot and is quicker and seems a more natural athlete. Doesn’t mean Pou won’t make it as a midfielder - just takes more time.

If we didn’t have this injury list I would have sent him back to Sandy for a few weeks as a full on midfielder and hopefully he dominated and then straight back in - but not an option now.

I’m sure RTB will be saying just play your role and keep doing the team things and you will be fine.
I don't think he is being helped by the fact that has "utility" attributes. I'd much prefer if he was settled into a single position. At the moment it feels like he's getting a bit of the Josh Battle treatment.

Yep, you can see how frustrated he is with himself. He missed a mark, then snapped that goal and barely celebrated. Some second year blues. Doesn’t change my view of his future trajectory

John phone number.....yes........it was quite a significant injury.....apparently quite a rare type of calf injury......thus the lengthy time on the sidelines.

Just another chapter to his incredibly bad luck with serious/semi serious injuries.
Clarke is miles back in the pecking order now. Steele, Crouch, Windhager, Dow, Jones, even Ross better options. That is before you consider pinch hitters like Sinclair, Owens, Pou.

I would not be surprised if Clarke ever makes it back to the senior side. Injuries or not, he just never really improved.

If this is Mattaes form of second year blues then I’ll take it.

It won’t be long before he’s showing the same creativity by hand out of the middle we saw from Windhager last week.

Draper is capable of really destructive bursts, but appears to have the attention span of a gnat and drifts in and out of games. If I was his opponent I’d completely take him out of the game by asking him what he got up to last weekend, and then pretending to listen attentively.

Uh huh. Yeah. Oh wow. Tell me more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back