Game Day Round 3: Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banking draft picks got GWS to a grand final. They lost to a good richmond side. no shame in that.

Teams can stuff up every 2nd 1st rounder they get each year but can eventually becomes a finals side.

Saints, Demons and Blues have proven that you can finish bottom 4 for 3-5 years in a row to get 3-5 top 5 picks and dont nail them, you will be bear the bottom of the ladder.
Rebuilding should be almost finished, done after 5 years, the next 5 is what Freo will be judged on.
Sure you still top up, but we are at the start.
Have to say that Cox, Logue have already proven their worth, we have potentially an elite backline.
They won't get the kudos of other teams, but they have stood up well.
Without the Harry High Pants fanfare, they just get on with the job.

Banking draft picks got GWS to a grand final. They lost to a good richmond side. no shame in that.

Teams can stuff up every 2nd 1st rounder they get each year but can eventually becomes a finals side.

Saints, Demons and Blues have proven that you can finish bottom 4 for 3-5 years in a row to get 3-5 top 5 picks and dont nail them, you will be bear the bottom of the ladder.
Rebuilding should be almost finished, done after 5 years, the next 5 is what Freo will be judged on.
Sure you still top up, but we are at the start.
Have to say that Cox, Logue have already proven their worth, we have potentially an elite backline.
They won't get the kudos of other teams, but they have stood up well.
Without the Harry High Pants fanfare, they just get on with the job.

Obviously it's a fan created set of footage that she liked, but tempted from this to say keep Banfield and drop Schultz if we get Sturt back.

Needs to hit the scoreboard a bit more, but between this and the West player rankings I'm starting to come around to the idea that Banfield is having a bit more of an impact.

I am pretty sure he was in a negating role on Rich too. Rich had little influence...

Didn't they have 3 players injured in their 22 for that game? Most teams would lose against most sides carrying 3 injured players, regardless of how many high-end drafts they have on the list.

GWS losing isn't much of an argument against the value of banking draft picks. And it's worth noting Richmond built their 2019 list from a core of players they got with high draft picks (Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Vlaustin) along with guys they grabbed through free-agency (Lynch,) expensive trades (Prestia,) some cheaper trades (Nankervis, Caddy) and mining the rookie and pre-season drafts (Houli, Grimes, Castagna, etc.). At some point you need to use the top-end of the draft to get to the top, although there's obviously more to it.

Yeah GWS had 3 players injured for that game. So what? the GWS team took a risk and paid for it.

To me, Freo dont need top end picks to be decent.

Go look at freos 2013 Grand final side: Paul Duffield, Lee Spurr, Matt De Boer, Aaron Sandilands and Michael Barlow. what do those 5 have in Common? All 5 were rookie listed players.

Michael Johnson, Ryan Crowley, Chris Mayne, Michael Walters, Cam Sutcliffe, Zac Clarke and Lachie Neale. what do they have in common? None of them were 1st round or even 2nd round picks.

In over a 6 year period, Fremantle has 6 1st rounders, basically 1 1st round pick each year. I dont care if one year we get an injury prone kid provided the next season we get a solid 200-250 gamer.

So since 2016-19, Freo has used 7 1st rounders in that 4 year period.

2016: Logue
2017: Brayshaw and Cerra
2018: Sam Sturt
2019: Hayden Young, Caleb Serong and Liam Henry.

If 3 or 4 of those blokes become 200 game players then its good considering how bad our 1st rounders have been from 2007-14.

If 3 out of 7 of those blokes become 200-250 game players at freo, then thats better than nothing.

Some people on here were unsure if Logie was going to make it. I knew he was going to make it some how. I was actually thinking he was going to be a 25-30 goal a season forward based on his 2017 game vs North in Perth when he kicked that goal which was a beautiful set shot.

Brayshaw and cerra are promising. But if I had to predict which one will be the best out of those 2, I am choosing cerra as he can be solid on both as an inside mid and as an outside mid.

Sam sturt looks good up forward. I see him as a solid role player that will play 100-150 games for us. I see him with us for 8-10 years then goes back to victoria. I hope he gets a premiership medal before he leaves freo.

Young, Serong and Henry I am unsure of. Its too early to predict anything. I will say this. One of them will be a Solid 200 game player and one of those 3 will unfortunately have their careers stuffed with injury. I am not trying to be negative. But there has been times where we had a real talent in our hands and they come to freo and have their careers ruined by injury. And yes I am refering to Harley Bennell and Anthony Morabito.

Yeah GWS had 3 players injured for that game. So what? the GWS team took a risk and paid for it.

To me, Freo dont need top end picks to be decent.

Go look at freos 2013 Grand final side: Paul Duffield, Lee Spurr, Matt De Boer, Aaron Sandilands and Michael Barlow. what do those 5 have in Common? All 5 were rookie listed players.

Michael Johnson, Ryan Crowley, Chris Mayne, Michael Walters, Cam Sutcliffe, Zac Clarke and Lachie Neale. what do they have in common? None of them were 1st round or even 2nd round picks.

In over a 6 year period, Fremantle has 6 1st rounders, basically 1 1st round pick each year. I dont care if one year we get an injury prone kid provided the next season we get a solid 200-250 gamer.

So since 2016-19, Freo has used 7 1st rounders in that 4 year period.

2016: Logue
2017: Brayshaw and Cerra
2018: Sam Sturt
2019: Hayden Young, Caleb Serong and Liam Henry.

If 3 or 4 of those blokes become 200 game players then its good considering how bad our 1st rounders have been from 2007-14.

If 3 out of 7 of those blokes become 200-250 game players at freo, then thats better than nothing.

Some people on here were unsure if Logie was going to make it. I knew he was going to make it some how. I was actually thinking he was going to be a 25-30 goal a season forward based on his 2017 game vs North in Perth when he kicked that goal which was a beautiful set shot.

Brayshaw and cerra are promising. But if I had to predict which one will be the best out of those 2, I am choosing cerra as he can be solid on both as an inside mid and as an outside mid.

Sam sturt looks good up forward. I see him as a solid role player that will play 100-150 games for us. I see him with us for 8-10 years then goes back to victoria. I hope he gets a premiership medal before he leaves freo.

Young, Serong and Henry I am unsure of. Its too early to predict anything. I will say this. One of them will be a Solid 200 game player and one of those 3 will unfortunately have their careers stuffed with injury. I am not trying to be negative. But there has been times where we had a real talent in our hands and they come to freo and have their careers ruined by injury. And yes I am refering to Harley Bennell and Anthony Morabito.
That’s a good assessment of what might happen based on the Law of averages. We will also likely have another top 10 pick this year to add to that group. Tucker came in with pick 27 in 2015 and is turning into a very useful player. Valente potentially another useful second round pick from 2018. We’ll have another in 2020 too (tied to Melbournes finishing position).

But as I said here yesterday, we haven’t had an established best 22 player come off the rookie list since Barlow in 2009. Tabs about the best since then of the rookies, with Hughes and Duman currently doing well but won’t ever be A graders.
We need a couple off the current rookie list to make it. The last really good pick we made from 3rd/4th rookie Rounds was Luke Ryan in 2016.

Due another good one Or two from the 2018-2019 crop of Fredericks/butters/pina/ Thomas/carter/Watson. Not overly convinced by Schultz or Bewley..

But if your only choice was between Wilson and Young, who would you take at this stage?
Why not have both. Hughes goes out for mine.

SHill is another in the mix. Either of Duman or Trav Colyer go out.

In: Wilson, SHill, Hogan, Sturt
Out: Hughes, Colyer, Darcy, Matera
(Note: really want Serong in for Schultz but I’ll give the Sargent one more game)

Conca Cox Duman
Wilson Logue Ryan
Bewley Fyfe Aish
Cerra Hogan Mundy
Sturt Tabs Schultz
Lobb Tucker Walters
Brayshaw SHill Young Banfield
Em: Colyer, Serong, Meek

Why not have both. Hughes goes out for mine.

SHill is another in the mix. Either of Duman or Trav Colyer go out.

In: Wilson, SHill, Hogan, Sturt
Out: Hughes, Colyer, Darcy, Matera
(Note: really want Serong in for Schultz but I’ll give the Sargent one more game)

Conca Cox Duman
Wilson Logue Ryan
Bewley Fyfe Aish
Cerra Hogan Mundy
Sturt Tabs Schultz
Lobb Tucker Walters
Brayshaw SHill Young Banfield
Em: Colyer, Serong, Meek
Taking Wilson and Young is high risk. They’re both great kicks but very ordinary defensive lockdowns.
We need an interceptor to allow them two to get off the leash.
Hughes was 100% used wrong on Cameron. That’s a bad match up.
Leave Ethan as floating around, allows Young to just focus on ball use.
It’s Duman vs Hughes for that spot.

That’s a good assessment of what might happen based on the Law of averages. We will also likely have another top 10 pick this year to add to that group. Tucker came in with pick 27 in 2015 and is turning into a very useful player. Valente potentially another useful second round pick from 2018. We’ll have another in 2020 too (tied to Melbournes finishing position).

But as I said here yesterday, we haven’t had an established best 22 player come off the rookie list since Barlow in 2009. Tabs about the best since then of the rookies, with Hughes and Duman currently doing well but won’t ever be A graders.
We need a couple off the current rookie list to make it. The last really good pick we made from 3rd/4th rookie Rounds was Luke Ryan in 2016.

Due another good one Or two from the 2018-2019 crop of Fredericks/butters/pina/ Thomas/carter/Watson. Not overly convinced by Schultz or Bewley..
Darcy tucker was the only good thing about the Harley Bennell trade(s).

You look back at it now..... we traded picks 16 and 35 for pick 22 and harley bennell.

We then trade out that 2016 2nd rounder and pick 61 for pick 35 and 61. that 2016 2nd rounder ended up as pick 21 with our drop.

Harley Bennell was injury prone despite playing 20-25 Peel games between 2016-19. Pick 22 was darcy tucker, that pick 35 was Harley Balic. that pick 55 was sam Collins who Ironically ended up at Gold coast.

Tucker was one of the rare positives in that disastrous 2016 season. We game him games and time to develop that year. Pity we didnt get another solid mid like him in the 2015 and 2016 drafts, it would of made a difference.

I dont expect any A-grade elite mids to come from the rookie draft. If Hughes or Duman manage to play 100-150 games each then thats a fair effort to them. I agree neither will be A-graders. Both can be B-grade players.

I dont mind another Clancee Pearce or another De Boer type role player off the rookie list again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spurr was decent for a few years I reckon. Faded badly in his last couple of seasons but was good prior to that.

Taking Wilson and Young is high risk. They’re both great kicks but very ordinary defensive lockdowns.
We need an interceptor to allow them two to get off the leash.
Hughes was 100% used wrong on Cameron. That’s a bad match up.
Leave Ethan as floating around, allows Young to just focus on ball use.
It’s Duman vs Hughes for that spot.
Young was lauded just as much for his intercept marking as he was for his kicking as a junior. He should be developed in that role as well. Definately don't want him to "just focus on his ball use".

Hogan looks to be a certainty to be named given JL just ruled out playing meek.

Reading between the lines I'm guessing Wilson for Young as well.
I'm thinking more Duman for Wilson, Young definitely showed more than Duman last week. Also would like to see Sturt and Serong in for Colyer and Matera/Shultz, not fussed which one of those two stays in as neither of them showed much at all. Also the possibility of Hill coming in is exciting.

Seems that Sturt is unlikely too which is disappointing. In that case, I’d bring in Serong for one of Schultz or Matera.

I come in peace fellow wharfies.

Our club has just launched a petition which will be submitted to the AFL asking that we be allowed to wear our prison bar guernsey for all Showdowns from now on. This guernsey is a key part of our heritage and identity yet we have been denied the use of it by Eddie McGuire and other Victorian power brokers since we entered the AFL. The petition has attracted nearly 20,000 signatures in less than 24 hours so far ... we would appreciate it if some of you guys added your names to it as well!

Cheers and good luck for this weekend's game on the Goldy!

I come in peace fellow wharfies.

Our club has just launched a petition which will be submitted to the AFL asking that we be allowed to wear our prison bar guernsey for all Showdowns from now on. This guernsey is a key part of our heritage and identity yet we have been denied the use of it by Eddie McGuire and other Victorian power brokers since we entered the AFL. The petition has attracted nearly 20,000 signatures in less than 24 hours so far ... we would appreciate it if some of you guys added your names to it as well!

Cheers and good luck for this weekend's game on the Goldy!

The only reason I haven't signed it multiple times is that it's only for Showdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back