Round 3: Richmond vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond are on a hiding to nothing, they are short priced favourites and rightly so.

If they win, it's expected, if they lose it's a major major blow.

I know. It's going to be hilarious.

Melbourne by 28.

Richmond will do their yearly trick of rocking up by about Round 17 or 18 when finals are already out of the question and play some decent footy to keep their masses amused for another off-season of hope & hype. They won't perform when the pressure is on that's for sure.

The sad thing about the Dees att the moment is that they seem to give up. So many times dees players would be ball watching or not chasing against us. It was pathetic. Richmond will be the new basket case if they can't knock them over.

Melbourne by 28.

Richmond will do their yearly trick of rocking up by about Round 17 or 18 when finals are already out of the question and play some decent footy to keep their masses amused for another off-season of hope & hype. They won't perform when the pressure is on that's for sure.

We towled you up last year in the dreamtime game. That was before round 17..

Does anyone else think that Melbourne are a chance?

They seem to play out of their skins against Richmond.

Melbourne by 28.

Lol, i find it rather amusing that you say Richmond start the yearly trick at that stage of the season, take a look below ,if we were playing decent footy then i would imagine there would be more wins on the board.

2009, win 17,18 , lost from rnd 19-22

2010, we lost rnd 17, win 18, loss rnd 19-22

2011, we lost rnd 17, 18, 19(bye), loss rnd 20 , win rnd 21,22, loss rnd 23

Dees always play well against us, I'm not confident at all.

We SHOULD win, but the Dees have their backs against the wall and pride to play for - would surprise if they throw everything at us and get the win.

Dees always play well against us, I'm not confident at all.

We SHOULD win, but the Dees have their backs against the wall and pride to play for - would surprise if they throw everything at us and get the win.

Its a bit similiar to last year i think we were starting to play some good Football and beat the Bombers then went to Darwin and got done by Port and then things went pear shaped from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They certainly did. Richmond were very competitive against Collingwood, and they were right with Carlton up until the final quarter too. Both performances worthy of respect - infinitely more so than the schemozzle from our side in the last 2 games, but that goes without saying :(

I have to hope we can pull off a win here, and as Sprout said, the team we put out for this one may well be significantly better - I hope to Christ our workrate and ball-use is too. But the odds are certainly with Richmond.

Regardless of the outcome in this match, whether we can spring a surprise or not, I expect the Tiges will continue to improve as they have since the second half of 2010 - could even squeak into a finals berth this year.

Demons will come out fired up IMO and so they should they have been pretty ordinary over the last few weeks, i rekon if we don't get on top early then it will be close.

Terrible prospect for Richmond - everyone expects them to win, and if they do, it will be because Melbourne is in such dire straits. If they lose, Punt Road burns down.

If Melbourne lose, well, good try boys, you're working your way up, no one expected you to beat one of the 'promising up-and-comers'. If they win, party!

Richmond can ony lose credit from this game, and Melbourne can only gain it (unless they lose by 100+, in which case, still no credit will go to Richmond).

Massive test for our young team - going in as favourites and coming out with the win are something quite foreign to us ;).

I think they are mature enough to win but the game will be close and can't see a blow out - Not having to face Sylvia, Maloney and Green (3 guys who normally play well against us) is a big relief and no Jurrah and a few others helps. Would hate to go into this game with them at full strength.

Hopefully ex Demons Miller and Maric play their best games for the club :thumbsu:

Richmond by 10 goals because Melbourne are horrible.

This unfortunately

Those who are suggesting Melbourne play out of their skins against Richmond may want to actually look at the last 12 years of football

In a lot of seasons since 2000 Melbourne have played finals football and finished above Richmond

In years we've been down the bottom, so have Richmond

In fact, last year we finished on equal points with Richmond and only behind them by 1.08% (and that's accounting for 186)

We do not play out of our skins against Richmond - we've either been better than them since 2000 or on relatively equal pegging with them

We do not play out of our skins against Richmond - we've either been better than them since 2000 or on relatively equal pegging with them

Whilst I think they'll struggle to muster the necessary commitment right now, Melbourne did manage to play out of their skins a couple of times last year when the heat was on. Essendon and Adelaide come to mind.

This unfortunately

Those who are suggesting Melbourne play out of their skins against Richmond may want to actually look at the last 12 years of football

In a lot of seasons since 2000 Melbourne have played finals football and finished above Richmond

In years we've been down the bottom, so have Richmond

In fact, last year we finished on equal points with Richmond and only behind them by 1.08% (and that's accounting for 186)

Much of the time, yes, but that said....

In the Age today, it had head to head stats for the '2000s', and it had Richmond ahead 11-9 (surprised me, which is why I remembered).

As for a prediction...Richmond has to be favorite, but doesn't have a great record of handling such expectations on the rare occasions they've happened in the past.

I'm a bit surprised Melbourne dropped Green, because I would have thought they'd need the experience and leadership at a time like this. I think Melbourne's confidence must be low, so if Richmond can get a bit of a break, the Demons could drop their heads and have the margin blow out.

I'll play safe though, so in order of likelihood.
Richmond by <20
Richmond by 50+
Melbourne by <30

tigers on form and list depth should sh it on melbourne!!! but hey the tigers always lose the games we expect to comfortably win

tigers on form and list depth should sh it on melbourne!!! but hey the tigers always lose the games we expect to comfortably win

No offence but your list depth is shithouse, you just have the top end players

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 3: Richmond vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back