Review Round 3 v Hawthorn at Thomas Farms Oval (Unley)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this week Pride Round. Or has it disappeared.

Now that the seasons have been re-aligned. This week would be perfect by using the opening date "The Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey" from 12 Sep 17 - 7 Nov 17.

The Australia Says Yes on 14 Nov 17 and change to Marriage Act on 9 Dec 17 seem to late in the season.

Is this week Pride Round. Or has it disappeared.

Now that the seasons have been re-aligned. This week would be perfect by using the opening date "The Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey" from 12 Sep 17 - 7 Nov 17.

The Australia Says Yes on 14 Nov 17 and change to Marriage Act on 9 Dec 17 seem to late in the season.

Pride round is round 7.

It's the round we have 2 matches in the round - a home game on a Wednesday night against Melbourne before playing GWS away on the Sunday

Ballard set to play in the trial match this weekend, her first match back since her ACL :thumbsu: I wonder how many weeks they'll keep her there before bringing her back into the seniors? You want to give her enough time, but the season is also really short.

Unfortunately, Najwa Allen has had a minor setback and is now a week away. Not clear whether she'll return via the trial match or not given her injury is more short-term.

Charlton and Henry both played in the trial match last weekend and are considered good for selection this week. You'd assume Charlton is straight back in, Henry probably not.

https://www.afc.com.au/news/1652017/aflw-injury-update-round-three

My guess is Charlton is an in, with Mueller and Waterhouse both maybes.

Ballard set to play in the trial match this weekend, her first match back since her ACL :thumbsu: I wonder how many weeks they'll keep her there before bringing her back into the seniors? You want to give her enough time, but the season is also really short.

Unfortunately, Najwa Allen has had a minor setback and is now a week away. Not clear whether she'll return via the trial match or not given her injury is more short-term.

Charlton and Henry both played in the trial match last weekend and are considered good for selection this week. You'd assume Charlton is straight back in, Henry probably not.

https://www.afc.com.au/news/1652017/aflw-injury-update-round-three

My guess is Charlton is an in, with Mueller and Waterhouse both maybes.
Interesting to see the Crows are down to only 1 player on the injury list currently, Collingwood have 7 + a suspension and have been forced to add 2 top ups to fill the emergency list for their next game which has led to this article about whether list sizes need to be increased: https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1217463

Makes some decent points including regarding that they’re about to hit the shorter-break games in the fixture & needing 24 available from 30/31 is tough odds. You’d imagine like previous seasons they have an emergency pool of players available if disaster struck either the Crows or Port on the injury front. Mel Anderson (South Adelaide), Alisha Gepp (Sturt), Christina Leuzzi (Woodville-West Torrens) and Jess Bates (Glenelg) all played the internal trial so you’d think they’d be in that pool of players among others.

Going by recent training footage I’ve been able to pick out Mel Anderson from South Adelaide doing a fair amount of training with the team, interesting little player, quite raw but moves well, is a good mark and has a very easy kicking action and can give it a fair hoof for such a slightly built player, had her already as one to keep an eye out for as an overage prospect in this years draft so it’s good to see her getting a chance to train amongst the best.

Last edited:
Charlton in for Varnhagen seems pretty obvious.

Smith even being named in the squad ahead of Tarlinton and Henry shows that we don't have a lot of faith in them yet. I guess we do need to figure out whether Smith has a future here at some point.

As for whether Smith makes the final 21, I wouldn't have expected so, but I agree that the order of names on the interchange bench seems pointed. Boileau struggled last week but she'll be good in the future. I'd rather see her stay in than play Smith, honestly. I'm not sure where Smith fits - surely we can't play her down back again? I'd hate to think we would move someone like Biddell, Allan, Prowse, or even Randall out of there to squeeze Smith in. Perhaps she is being considered as a forward?

Waterhouse listed in the squad, but given that Martin has been named on the field it's hard to imagine them putting her in.

Mueller nowhere to be seen... I wonder what the deal is with that? I would have said she was safe as houses before the start of the season.

Charlton in for Varnhagen seems pretty obvious.

Smith even being named in the squad ahead of Tarlinton and Henry shows that we don't have a lot of faith in them yet. I guess we do need to figure out whether Smith has a future here at some point.

As for whether Smith makes the final 21, I wouldn't have expected so, but I agree that the order of names on the interchange bench seems pointed. Boileau struggled last week but she'll be good in the future. I'd rather see her stay in than play Smith, honestly. I'm not sure where Smith fits - surely we can't play her down back again? I'd hate to think we would move someone like Biddell, Allan, Prowse, or even Randall out of there to squeeze Smith in. Perhaps she is being considered as a forward?

Waterhouse listed in the squad, but given that Martin has been named on the field it's hard to imagine them putting her in.

Mueller nowhere to be seen... I wonder what the deal is with that? I would have said she was safe as houses before the start of the season.

If I had to guess, I'd say Mueller came back unfit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess this is Smith's chance to show she's got what it takes. Fingers crossed!

In my mind she was a tall, but in reality she's more of a medium size player. 171cm, so quite a bit shorter than Allan (178cm), Biddell (178cm), Prowse (177cm) and Allen (177cm), but taller than the lines of Goodwin (168cm), Tonon (168cm) and Mueller (165cm).

We had been using Boileau down back a bit, so I guess with Najwa Allen still out, they are giving Smith a chance to show she can work as a rebounder. Hopefully the preseason has her ready to go!

If I had to guess, I'd say Mueller came back unfit

Wouldn’t think Mueller’s fitness is the main reason why she’s seemingly been frozen out early this season, feel like Clarke has gone full boar this season on wanting all those besides the star midfielders to be able to be switched into playing multiple positions at anytime, don’t think he feels Mueller can do that so he’s seemingly preferring the likes of Kustermann, Tonon & now Smith because he knows they can be swung forward, back or on a wing whenever he feels like it.

I guess this is Smith's chance to show she's got what it takes. Fingers crossed!

In my mind she was a tall, but in reality she's more of a medium size player. 171cm, so quite a bit shorter than Allan (178cm), Biddell (178cm), Prowse (177cm) and Allen (177cm), but taller than the lines of Goodwin (168cm), Tonon (168cm) and Mueller (165cm).

We had been using Boileau down back a bit, so I guess with Najwa Allen still out, they are giving Smith a chance to show she can work as a rebounder. Hopefully the preseason has her ready to go!
I have very low expectations given Smith’s not showed much of anything on albeit the rare occasions she’s been in view of the spectator. Would love to see any evidence she can actually kick a decent drop punt/hit a target by foot or show any of that speed she apparently possesses, she either has those skills in her locker and it’s just never been on view or those pre-draft reports were just a real bunch of malarkey.

After her struggles to even touch the ball more than 5-8 times at SANFLW level I can’t say I’m holding my breathe for it it to magically fall into place tomorrow.

I have very low expectations given Smith’s not showed much of anything on albeit the rare occasions she’s been in view of the spectator. Would love to see any evidence she can actually kick a decent drop punt/hit a target by foot or show any of that speed she apparently possesses, she either has those skills in her locker and it’s just never been on view or those pre-draft reports were just a real bunch of malarkey.

Hey, her disposal efficiency so far at AFLW level is 100%! All four touches she's managed so far have hit a target ;)

It's her alleged speed that simply wasn't on show last year. Perhaps this was just her not being used to the speed/pressure of the top level yet?

Low accumulation was identified as an issue before she was picked up. I'm assuming that was linked to low fitness rather than a lack of smarts, but as you say, her SANFLW form certainly hasn't indicated any improvement on that front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3 v Hawthorn at Thomas Farms Oval (Unley)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back