Preview Round 4 v Essendon @ Thomas Farms Oval (Unley)

Remove this Banner Ad

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Adelaide v Essendon
Sunday 22 September, 12:35pm
Thomas Farms Oval

The AFL, in their wisdom, have decided to put this week's match up against the SANFL GF.

We head into the game 3-0, while Essendon have had a disappointing start to the season, dropping both their home games but defeating West Coast in Perth.

Will we make it 4-0?

SHOULD still be able to get to both but its a bit of a squeeze.

Hopefully the game is a bit like yesterdays and its done by halfway through the 3rd.

The League GF is at 2:30. Our game yesterday finished around 2:20.

I managed to get from Unley to Adelaide Oval in about 25 minutes yesterday, but that was no event day parking restrictions in place, and the game yesterday starting at 3:15pm.

Your best bet this week, with the event day parking restrictions most likely to be in place, is to Uber it from Unley to Adelaide Oval - and even then you'll probably sacrifice either the last few minutes of our game or the start of the GF

Have to agree more dumb fixturing to have it on the same day as that SANFL GF, unfortunately due to a number of factors like; channel 7 wanting to cover games in Melbourne, the Crows ‘home ground’ situation meaning they are restricted to available time slots & they also probably feel the ‘early Sunday’ works for attracting young families.

Tell you what though one of the main reasons I can’t wait for the Thebarton rebuild is I personally want some night games/twilight home games to be regular events, missed attending many games over the last few seasons even though I’m a member due to current starting times of home games, ironically would’ve been able to attend this week’s game but my father has attended every Glenelg grand final since 1969 so instead am attending that with him on Sunday, I would’ve 100% preferred the Crows game but family yada, yada, yada.

The League GF is at 2:30. Our game yesterday finished around 2:20.

I managed to get from Unley to Adelaide Oval in about 25 minutes yesterday, but that was no event day parking restrictions in place, and the game yesterday starting at 3:15pm.

Your best bet this week, with the event day parking restrictions most likely to be in place, is to Uber it from Unley to Adelaide Oval - and even then you'll probably sacrifice either the last few minutes of our game or the start of the GF

Tried working out if I could get to Adelaide Oval in time this week to do both, like you said is shaping up to be looking an impossible task given the parking like you mention but also with both Norwood & Glenelg well supported finding a decent seat unless you rock up a good 30-40min before the bounce is also a pain at those type of SANFL GF’s so can’t justify the effort if I need to leave at half time.

Achilles injury confirmed for Jones, will miss the rest of the season :(

Do we get access to an injury replacement player or is it too late for that?

Achilles injury confirmed for Jones, will miss the rest of the season :(

Do we get access to an injury replacement player or is it too late for that?
Unfortunately injury replacement players are only available to be added temporarily to the list like Collingwood did last week if you can’t name a squad of 21 plus the 3 emergencies. Each team has a pool of 10 train-on players so Collingwood named a couple of them on the emergency list for last weekend’s game.

Would be interesting to know how that works and if those players sign a contract or get match payments despite not technically playing, from memory the Bulldogs played top-ups last year at the end of the season. Like I mentioned last week Mel Anderson from South Adelaide looks to be the only train-on player that’s been a regular at training, would’ve been a handy addition.

Interesting how the do replace EJ, Tarlinton 😬 even wouldn’t be the worst option this week given Essendon’s problems they have with height down back, they wanted N.Allen up forward but she seems weeks away given her hamstring setback. Personally would love them to throw out their usual selection/match-day conservatism and go with a new look like Tamara Henry to be given a chance or maybe even recast Boileau as a deep forward given her marking prowess is the closest they have to matching Jones’, but knowing selection policies it probably will just be Waterhouse or maybe Brooke Smith is magically a forward this week and Varnhagen will slot back in off half-back 🤪.

You do hope they don’t move Randall from the role she’s rediscovered her best at.

I wonder if they'll go with Kustermann up forward? They seem to have put her all over the ground so far, and she does have a turn of pace. Or, hell, just lock Tonon in there and let her get some ball closer to goal. She's a good kick in general, but her shots from 40m have been beyond her. If she can mark it 25m from goal I'd back her in most times.

Ballard will also be back soon, who played a mix of midfield and forward line last year. But her best work was as a defensive-minded midfielder.

Agreed, I don't want Randall up forward. Yes, she can do the role - she can do any role - but having her floating around the halfback line is optimal. If we are to win a flag this year, it will be based on elite defence, just as it was in 2022.

Last edited:
I wonder if they'll go with Kustermann up forward? They seem to have put her all over the ground so far, and she does have a turn of pace. Or, hell, just lock Tonon in there and let her get some ball closer to goal. She's a good kick in general, but her shots from 40m have been beyond her. If she can mark it 25m from goal I'd back her in most times.

Ballard will also be back soon, who played a mix of midfield and forward line last year. But her best work was as a defensive-minded midfielder.

Agreed, I don't want Randall up forward. Yes, she can do the role - she can do any role - but having her floating around the halfback line is optimal. If we are to win a flag this year, it will be based on elite defence.
Kustermann already playing a fair bit at half-forward over the first 3 week, was thinking during the game given she had a quiet game that it would be typical that now they’ve moved her forward she’ll probably be dropped now for Waterhouse. Imagine they probably see Levy as the place holder for Ballard.

Kustermann already playing a fair bit at half-forward over the first 3 week, was thinking during the game given she had a quiet game that it would be typical that now they’ve moved her forward she’ll probably be dropped now for Waterhouse. Imagine they probably see Levy as the place holder for Ballard.

That's probably fair. Levy has been alright, but struggles to get involved in the game, especially early on.

Kustermann is such an almost player for me, a bit like Tonon to be honest. I see her around the play and she looks good, like she's going to impact the play, but somehow she just doesn't. Either the ball doesn't come up for her, or her tackle slips, or she almost gets there in time to spoil but not quite, etc. Just not quite there.

Won’t be Henry 🫤 or Allen coming in for Jones, both out for a couple with their respective injuries.

Sounds like Henry is one more popped shoulder away from missing the season as well. That's a real shame.

Allen just can't get a solid run at it at the moment. She started off last season in great form, but since getting suspended in Round 2 2023 she has missed 10 out of 14 matches, and looks like missing at least a couple more.

Agreed, I don't want Randall up forward. Yes, she can do the role - she can do any role - but having her floating around the halfback line is optimal. If we are to win a flag this year, it will be based on elite defence, just as it was in 2022.
Could bring Boileau back in

Gutted about E.J.
With her skill set & maturity..
she's definitely one we'll miss.
I'd like to see Prowse take up some of the slack, similar height & athleticism & think she's played ruck/foward in the SANFL.
If we're lacking a spark in game, I reckon I'd give it a shot .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prowse is 8cm taller than Jones and a different sort of player. She'd be a more natural replacement for Gould. But I like her in defence. I think we should leave all three of S. Allan, Biddell and Prowse in defence all season long unless there's a real break glass moment in a match.

Although we rarely got to see them this year, Jones' main strengths are speed and being a good kick. We have very few with that combination. Players like Waterhouse and Martin struggle to get involved in goals because they can't reliably kick it very far. And other options like Tonon etc don't have Jones' pace.

We could try putting Kelly there again? She started there in her first season with us, but moved to the midfield last season and thrived. With her being a bit quiet this year, perhaps we could try her up forward again and see what happens?

Prowse is 8cm taller than Jones and a different sort of player. She'd be a more natural replacement for Gould. But I like her in defence. I think we should leave all three of S. Allan, Biddell and Prowse in defence all season long unless there's a real break glass moment in a match.

Although we rarely got to see them this year, Jones' main strengths are speed and being a good kick. We have very few with that combination. Players like Waterhouse and Martin struggle to get involved in goals because they can't reliably kick it very far. And other options like Tonon etc don't have Jones' pace.

We could try putting Kelly there again? She started there in her first season with us, but moved to the midfield last season and thrived. With her being a bit quiet this year, perhaps we could try her up forward again and see what happens?
Waterhouse can kick much further than Martin, especially in a set shot situation.
I'd rather keep Kelly on the wing/midfield to utilise her speed.

I'd consider putting Thompson up forward, as a trial.

In a bit of a surprise move Amy Boyle-Carr will make her AFLW debut this weekend 🇮🇪

Probably in a position after the first 3 weeks now of seeing if they can get anything different out of the team, and her speed is a little something different she can offer.

Imagine she slots in at half-back and Tonon fills a forward role more or Thompson plays higher.

Last edited:
Good on her! We are usually pretty good at ensuring our new recruits all get at least one game, I guess we're taking the plunge early on this time.

Maybe she's the speedy replacement for Jones?
Yeah I say surprise but actually thought she would be given an chance over these next few games given how positive they were about her.

Imagine they will ease her in the first game so like in the Carlton practice game will probably just be on the halfback line rotating on that high halfback/wing role they like to put a fair few players through, rather that role for a new player than the graveyard shift that’s historically been the Crows forward line.

Would be interesting what they’re telling Mueller she needs to improve on to get her spot back behind closed doors as she’d be feeling pretty low that both Smith & now Boyle-Carr are now being given senior games in front of her.

Squad named to be cut tomorrow, Kustermann out with an ankle concern is horrible timing for her, Mueller not named & is apparently now not in the the top 24 players available on the list at the moment which will do me…

The ins (with three players still to cut) are Boyle-Carr, Waterhouse, Varnhagen, Boileau and Ballard. The outs are Jones and Kustermann.

A couple of thoughts...

There has to be something going on with Mueller. I don't get that at all. She and Tarlinton are the only non-injured players on the list not named in the extended squad.

The club seems insistent that Boyle-Carr's surname doesn't have a hyphen in it. All of their press releases leave it out, and it's not on the team sheet. I'm pretty sure they're wrong. Seems like an amateur mistake.

Speaking of Boyle-Carr, she's named on the field, on the opposite wing from Kelly.

If we are to follow the precedent set in the last few weeks, the last three names on the bench are the most likely to be left out. That would mean Boileau, Varnhagen, and Ballard drop out. In the case of Ballard, I'm not sure I get it. Surely if she's named, she plays? If she's not ready, don't name her. Meanwhile, if that theory holds, then the ins are Boyle-Carr and Waterhouse.

Randall named up forward in Jones' spot. I guess they're going to use her as Ms Fixit again. Meanwhile, Tonon named in defence.

Last edited:
Randall named up forward in Jones' spot. I guess they're going to use her as Ms Fixit again. Meanwhile, Tonon named in defence.
Double blearghhh ...
Swap them and I would be a lot happier. Tonon seems to be much more a natural forward than defender. Hopefully she can get over the set shot yips as she seems to lead (and mark) well when given the opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 4 v Essendon @ Thomas Farms Oval (Unley)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back