Preview Round 4 v Essendon @ Thomas Farms Oval (Unley)

Remove this Banner Ad

Brooke Smith was tough in that contest, has previously had shoulder issues from memory. Had a few positive plays in her best game for the club… not a high bar it has to be said

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve switched to Martin after Waterhouse’s 2 games this season 🤮
they're both easily replaceable as they don't do much. Rachelle gets more involved, but if she is the one doing the chasing, she is pretty much ineffective due to her size and lack of speed. If she has possession, she is almost always caught. The only thing she has going for her is her tenacity in the contest which wins her free kicks sometimes because she is too small to tackle correctly.

Waterhouse is the better player but doesn't get involved enough. Not sure if it's a fitness thing. Only had 57% tog.

Last edited:
Waterhouse is the better player but doesn't get involved enough. Not sure if it's a fitness thing. Only had 57% tog.
Not sure it is fitness, as she posted a video running a 40+ K cross country marathon a few months back. Seems to expend a lot of energy getting physical with opposition though.

Not sure it is fitness, as she posted a video running a 40+ K cross country marathon a few months back. Seems to expend a lot of energy getting physical with opposition though.
If she's allowed time and space she's talented enough to do damage.

You don't get that at AFLW with her lack of speed.

Pretty professional performance in the end. It was the usual Crows "stalemate for 1-2 quarters, then break away, then hold the lead" match we seem to play against every team outside of the top few.

Decent performance from Boyle-Carr in her debut. Has the defensive side of the game down pat, it's refreshing to see someone with pace actually use that pace to create pressure around the ball. Almost invisible offensively in the first half but got going in the second with a couple of very nice disposals.

Shame about Smith's shoulder injury, but without meaning to sound cruel, she shouldn't have been playing next week either way. She's just not up to it at this stage of her career. Three touches from almost a full game of football. Missed one target as well, so that 100% DE is finally gone.

I like the concept of a Jess Waterhouse, but the reality just isn't there. At least Martin creates some pressure up the ground, Waterhouse provided almost nothing.

Tonon looked good up forward again, when she was there. Randall through the midfield worked pretty well.

I'm really impressed with how Goodwin has improved this year. I'd love to see her used through the middle a bit more.

That was probably Kelly's best game of the year, but she still has a bad habit of dropping uncontested marks, or not disposing of the ball when she has the option to do so. Two great goals made up for it though! Probably Levy's best game as well.

Sarah Allan in the midfield wasn't a horrible move, but surely she is more value down back? Only 7 touches today, and only two marks.

Marinoff's worst game of the season, and yet still probably best on for us. If I was giving votes to the Crows players, I'd probably go:

5. Marinoff
4. Randall
3. Gould
2. Newman
1. Kelly
Apologies to Hatchard, Thompson and Biddell. Really nice to see SLT having a quality season again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 4 v Essendon @ Thomas Farms Oval (Unley)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back