Preview Round 5, 2022: St.Kilda v Gold Coast - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 16th April, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • Suns

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would expect a team 4th on the ladder to beat a team 9th on the ladder. I remember a footy tipping comp where I worked years ago, and the guy who won it, or came in the top three for a few years, knew next to nothing about footy, and he told me he just looked at who was higher on the ladder for each game and picked them as the winner. Makes sense.

This is the first game I’ve been super excited for in a fair while. I’m always looking forward to a game, but not quite to the point of being genuinely excited, because we can be so frustrating. But 3 on the trot, regardless of opposition, fills me with hope. And there is still so much upside in this team.

Rowan Marshall has been OK but can still work into the season and start clunking his marks and getting the clearances he managed a few years back…he can be amazing.

Jones, Billings and Clarke may all return in coming weeks. We will have more injuries, but it’s good to know we have best 22 players to come in.

Max King is one of the best forwards right now and yet we all have the sense he is still slowly building and hasn’t even strung it together yet.

Higgins shows little signs of being an elite forward pocket/high half forward and if it all clicks he will be a massive bonus for us.

There’s something about Nasiah. Doesn’t get too much of it, but when he does…There is something about him and I have little doubt that over the next few years we will love watching this bloke develop.

And it makes me nervous, because whenever the hope is built up the Saints like to drop their bundle. But this one is there for the taking, four on the trot and a 4-1 start will be so good for the players’ confidence!

To be fair, said the same thing when we versed Richmond and Hawthorn.

It’s the suns (who we tend to beat) at marvel (our home ground), so historically we win.

I’m only cautiously optimistic though, they’ll take some work to beat in the contest.
Marshall and Steele are the keys.

If Marshall isn’t the dominant big man in the centre of the ground. We could be in a lot of trouble.

Similarly if Marshall and Witts is a draw. Steele is then our most important player. He needs to be the dominant mid other Touk and Rowell will hurt us.

You would expect a team 4th on the ladder to beat a team 9th on the ladder. I remember a footy tipping comp where I worked years ago, and the guy who won it, or came in the top three for a few years, knew next to nothing about footy, and he told me he just looked at who was higher on the ladder for each game and picked them as the winner. Makes sense.

Yes, but this early on the ladder is still quite fluid. A week ago we were 9th and GC were 10th.

This is the first time since round 1 2019 we've played gold cost at home. We won by a point. All the games since then due to covid have been played away and they've all been tight. I think we're a more rounded team now 3 years on from our last home encounter but as a long time Saint these games still make nervous.

If Marshall isn’t the dominant big man in the centre of the ground.

If you mean the centre bounces, then you would expect Witts to come out on top.

We would all love it if Marshall won the ruck battle but our coaches and players need to be prepared for the scenario of Witts getting on top. What we need is for Marshall to compete well enough that Witts cannot just direct good taps to his mids.

Hayes and Marshall need to exploit Witts around the ground, and to have very good second efforts at the bounces.

We could be in a lot of trouble.

We could.

Our mids need to be up for roving to a losing ruck scenario.

Last edited:
I’m half expecting our wings to play hb in Wood,Ross & Sinclair , Paton to p/up Rankine , Long to stay forward as his pressure makes the opposition sh!t bricks & that could add goals.

Our forward line is the jewel in the crown don’t mess with it.

Our mids are good when on & I’m fully expecting us to continue on our way & break them mid 3rd quarter. Any where between 18 to 40 points.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If you mean the centre bounces, then you would expect Witts to come out on top.

We would all love it if Marshall won the ruck battle but our coaches and players need to be prepared for the scenario of Witts getting on top. What we need is for Marshall to compete well enough that Witts cannot just direct good taps to his mids.

Hayes and Marshall need to exploit Witts around the ground, and to have very good second efforts at the bounces.

We could could.

Our mids need to be up for roving to a losing ruck scenario.
No I mean in general.

Marshall has to be involved around the ground and he has to break even at stoppages.

The centre taps just need to be a situation where we aren’t allowing high percentage taps.

I’m confident if the taps drops into a neutral area in the centre. We can get it out.

I just don’t want to see scenarios where Rowell and Miller are moving off the taps into space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks good when we’re winning, looks bad when we’re losing.

We have the players to get the job done against every team, that’s a fact. But effort, coaching, consistency, decision making, injuries, etc are the difference between the best and the rest.

I think we’re on the right track, and as the eternal optimist we are hopefully trending towards getting that winning culture back at Moorabbin.

I think the biggest change so far this year has been the fitness ... those offseason changes are seeing the lads run out games while the other side looks spent - maybe not so much the first two rounds (for obvious reasons), but in the last two, Tigers and Hawks have been noticeably blown-out by the last, which has allowed us to go hard.

GCS are going to be a challenge because of their youth - they're less likely to blow-up, so we're going to need the 4-quarter effort, and really go hard at the centre clearances - if we can't win it, we need to kill it to a stoppage and reset.

As many have said already, we should win this comfortably. I suspect that we have played so many close games with the Suns because we have expected to win and haven't brought our best effort. If we do that again we will win in another close game; if we bring our game we will win comfortably.

As such this is a big test. If we win by under two goals we've still got a way to go, but if we win by more than two goals we might have learnt the lesson of consistent performances - and if we have learnt that lesson we will be playing finals.

I expect we will win by 30 points.

Only the playing squad and emergencies.
Billings, Geary, Clark and Kyle did light drills before main group came out. Kyle went in early, Clark wasn't being tackled by the trainer. Billings continued to run up and down the boundary line while the main group did some "match simulation"
Thanks for report much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back