Round 5 Trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett -> Murphy

Willing to take the risk on this one (unless more news comes out on Abletts knee). I have rookies such as Shiel, Magner, Kennedy, Bugg, Morris, Ellis, Redden and Clarke to help me get Ablett back in. I will wait until Ablett plays in his first game back before getting him in just to make sure that knee is right as well. Once i have him back in i will have a finished midfield of Ablett, Pendlebury, Boyd, Mitchell, Murphy and Watson. It's the strategy i'm going for this year, get the midfield finished early. Was going to go with Barlow instead of Murphy and take the 190k but unfortunately he shares a bye with Pendles and Watson.

Already have Treloar and McDonald so no other trades this week.

the problem is, gaj is nearly 600k, even with those GWS cheapies doing pretty well, it's not easy to raise the money to get GAJ back in. if Greene/Shiel etc get to around 250k or so in 2 rounds time, you'll need to find nearly 350k from somewhere to bridge the gap in order to bring GAJ back in. usually for these very expensive mids you need to do like 3 trades to get them back in. is that worth it?

Ablett -> Barlow
T.Lynch -> T Cloke.

Sitting at 11K atm, this helps gear my bye structure away from R11 heavy with all the GWS rookies I have.

Risky strategy to start making up some points as well as fixing my T. Lynch error.

Major concerns: If Gablett comes back early and starts tearing it up I've wasted a trade. There is a chance T. Lynch will come back into the side this week but I guess he will probably get the vest again.

I like Cloke just because he has a fantastic run (bar Geelong) up to the bye, and there is obvious value in Barlow.

What are people going to do with WhiteX if he scores Below 55 the next two weeks? Trade him for another premium, downgrade to a rookie or keep him and hope for the best?

I would feel so much better about my side if I brought in Robinson for Fyfe instead of WhiteX.

Im in the same boat, brought him in last week for Martin (yes hindsight is a bitch), so i am hoping he returns to his high scoring ways this week vs Syd, if not i will have to contemplate hard.

For now i have bigger issues, such as bringing in Treloar and maybe JMAC.

the problem is, gaj is nearly 600k, even with those GWS cheapies doing pretty well, it's not easy to raise the money to get GAJ back in. if Greene/Shiel etc get to around 250k or so in 2 rounds time, you'll need to find nearly 350k from somewhere to bridge the gap in order to bring GAJ back in. usually for these very expensive mids you need to do like 3 trades to get them back in. is that worth it?

It's a good point and one that has been troubling me since hearing of Abletts knee. I have already changed my mind between Barlow and Murphy about 3 times because of it. I will list the options that have been going through my head:

Ablett -> Murphy +41k
Positives: Get Murphy in who is my preferred mid out of those i don't have. Also fits in well with my bye structure and i get a premium scoring mid to play over the next few weeks while Ablett is out. If Ablett is out for 3-4 weeks plus the 1 week i plan on leaving him out to watch how he returns from the knee then I have plenty of time to make up the money for him.

Negatives: I lose Ablett. I have to get him back in which as you say, will take another 3 trades. He could come back after 1-2 weeks and go straight back to scoring 120+.

Ablett -> Barlow +190k
Positives: The 190k left over means i should only have to make one downgrade to bring Ablett back in. I bring in Barlow at a very good price and again, i have a premium mid to replace Ablett while he is down.

Negatives: He isn't as safe a choice as Murphy. The leg still a worry for me. Main negative is the bye though. Shares it with Watson and Pendlebury. Either have to cop the zero or sideways trade one which is an option if i save trades as planned until then.

So basically to trade to Murphy i would use 4 trades all up in trading out Ablett and him back in again. So i gain Murphy and the extra points he scores over Magner/Shiel over the next few weeks.

Trade to Barlow and i also use 4 trades because if i plan on sideways trading him or Watson during the bye.

Put him on the bench and use 2/3 trades last on in the year to pick up Murphy and cop Magner or Shiels possible low scores and possibly lose an opportunity to gain some points while others sit Ablett on the bench.

It's a tough one. I'm ranked around 5k and have been hovering there for the last 3 weeks. I recognise the importance of trades late in the season but i want to be some what aggressive. Fine line between taking some risks and wasting trades though.

At this stage (depending no further injuries and that Fyfe plays) I'll probably just go Porplyzia > Treloar and net 150K in the bank.

ok so correct me if im wrong here (as im new) but it seems ridiculous to be trading ablett out (1 trade) bring him back in after the bye rounds (2nd trade) and then if you make finals he'll ahve to go (3rd trade) for the sake of 2 maybe 3???? am I off my head thinking can NOT afford to be using that many trades considering how many "cows" that will require upgrades and the way the injuries are going?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want someone to post the "worst luck" DT side for 2012... so far it would be pretty tragic...

E.g. starting with 30 fit players close to salary cap and seeing how many injuries it is possible to rack up and trade in a player that gets injured and then trade them to someone else that gets injured. (With the rule that you can't trade in non-named on the Friday team sheet players, but you can trade in players that start sub on the Friday game).

Hmmm.... might do some tinkering on ANZAC day to get something hilarious.

ok so correct me if im wrong here (as im new) but it seems ridiculous to be trading ablett out (1 trade) bring him back in after the bye rounds (2nd trade) and then if you make finals he'll ahve to go (3rd trade) for the sake of 2 maybe 3???? am I off my head thinking can NOT afford to be using that many trades considering how many "cows" that will require upgrades and the way the injuries are going?

I agree with you. Though what crazy logic is the bit in red?

I agree with you. Though what crazy logic is the bit in red?

haha.. umm so im a bit ******ed I think but this is my first year palying and so naturally im only concerned with a league win with my mates and they said something about finals??? :S :S I just gathered that if you finished top 8 in your league you played on? and thinking ablett wont be playing finals?? please correct my stupidity??

haha.. umm so im a bit ******ed I think but this is my first year palying and so naturally im only concerned with a league win with my mates and they said something about finals??? :S :S I just gathered that if you finished top 8 in your league you played on? and thinking ablett wont be playing finals?? please correct my stupidity??

DT Finals end in the last round of the H&A AFL season. Still, two trades.

Ahh I see... Thanks for putting me on the straight and narrow..

I want someone to post the "worst luck" DT side for 2012... so far it would be pretty tragic...

E.g. starting with 30 fit players close to salary cap and seeing how many injuries it is possible to rack up and trade in a player that gets injured and then trade them to someone else that gets injured. (With the rule that you can't trade in non-named on the Friday team sheet players, but you can trade in players that start sub on the Friday game).

Hmmm.... might do some tinkering on ANZAC day to get something hilarious.

Lake
Jmac
Birchall
Hale (subbed due to concussion)
Fyfe (everyone has him)
Ablett (everyone has him)
Mumford
Malceski concussed in R2 misses a quarter
Duffield played less then half a game in R2 due to rib injury

Then i have guys like Greene, C.Smith, Dickson, O, Redden who all get rested/dropped at the same time.

I reckon id go pretty close. All those players are starting players and most of them selected as premium/keepers. The only thing that has gone for me was Carazzos injury and i doubt many had him. Cogs shouldnt be in your best 22. H.Shaw should have been traded out by most after his injury so doesnt really effect many. The players above are all in decent form thus have to be kept.

Very keen to bring in Barlow this week, lowest he'll be all year IMO (B/E of 57). Looks back to full fitness, and just looked really good the last 2 games to me.

Thinking on a McCarthy to Barlow trade, have the cash to do it this week...just that McCarthy looks like having a permanent mid role at Port and still has a bit of of cash to make (B/E of 35-40).

Pull the trigger this week or is there any reason to wait on this one that I'm missing?

Instead of a straight McCarthy to Barlow this week, Im strongly considering trading GAJ to Barlow this week, pocketing the 190k (to go with the 110k I have)...then in 2-3 weeks trading McCarthy to Ablett (which should then cost around 200k if all goes to plan).

1st option cost 110k plus one trade, 2nd costs about 10k (200-190) and 2 trades.

Seems kind of reasonable, effectively an extra trade for about 100k, plus get to keep McCarthy for a few more weeks rather than riding a rookies scores while GAJ is out.

The thing with Ablett is prior to his 97, Low for his price he has a 162 so he won't lose too much value assuming he comes back fully fit. Last year I traded out Swan when he was injured and got a low score and was consequently sent to Arizona and out for 2 weeks but I knew he would drop 60k or so after he returned. Trading Ablett this year is different because he is unlikely to drop in value when he returns so the only question is whether he will be back in 2 or if the injury will linger.

AFL clubs are very good at hiding crucial injury information and GC are hardly going to admit that Ablett is seriously injured. They will give us the Fyfe scenario: yeah he could have played but he will be even better after another week. I expect the same line to come out for Fyfe this week. Turning a named in the team the following week and everyone sighs with relief into a late withdrawal and missing 3 matches.

H.Shaw should have been traded out by most after his injury so doesnt really effect many.

A proven premium scorer over multiple years known for his inconsistency has two bad games and you think he should've been traded out by most? :rolleyes:

A proven premium scorer over multiple years known for his inconsistency has two bad games and you think he should've been traded out by most? :rolleyes:

Well lets say i had both Broughton and Shaw (only had Broughton) i wouldve traded Shaw before Broughton. I traded Broughton but he was a much better prospect then Shaw IMO. Shaw was never once in my side or considered down back.

I know Pillager had both and traded Shaw but kept Broughton. His role, side, new coach, poor team scoring really isnt great with two very avg scores he was going to always drop a lot in money.

The injury was just the icing on the cake many needed.

Leon Davis missing really hurts Shaw. Im not sure how popular he was in initial squads but i was surprised to see so many pick him. Leon Davis not playing really hurts him it directed some attention away from him, we all know he struggles with tags. In 2010 without Leon down back he avg 80, with Leon he avg 92. With Collingwood noticeably scoring poorly this year throughout NAB ect i expected him to avg between 75-85 but no higher. My philosophy is to pick every player whether premium or not that i think can improve their avg. Shaw didnt match that criteria and fell a long way short.

Just the way i saw it. Collingwood also have a horrid draw, its the reason i have only Sidebottom. They have a decent run to byes but after that its hell. Im not even aiming to bring in Swan/Pendles at this current time. I have 4 premium mids who im very confident in and M.Murphy fills the other hole and then probably Selwood.

Sorry went on tangent

Lake
Jmac
Birchall
Hale (subbed due to concussion)
Fyfe (everyone has him)
Ablett (everyone has him)
Mumford
Malceski concussed in R2 misses a quarter
Duffield played less then half a game in R2 due to rib injury

Then i have guys like Greene, C.Smith, Dickson, O, Redden who all get rested/dropped at the same time.

I reckon id go pretty close. All those players are starting players and most of them selected as premium/keepers. The only thing that has gone for me was Carazzos injury and i doubt many had him. Cogs shouldnt be in your best 22. H.Shaw should have been traded out by most after his injury so doesnt really effect many. The players above are all in decent form thus have to be kept.

I was thinking more along the lines of Start 4RR trade to Mumford trade to Sandi trade to XYZ.

Start Broughton, trade to Dempsey, trade to Carazzo....

etc.

I was thinking more along the lines of Start 4RR trade to Mumford trade to Sandi trade to XYZ.

Start Broughton, trade to Dempsey, trade to Carazzo....

etc.

Well i guess trading to undurable players is only ones fault. I always try and trade to durable players. Mumford, Sandi, Dempsey, Carratz to a lesser degree dont really match that criteria.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 5 Trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back