Preview Round 5 v Carlton at Ikon Park (Princes Park)

Remove this Banner Ad

The coach would keep me on the bench till I recovered from the warm up lap.
I'd always have a boot come undone during the running drills. Sorry guys... just need to fix this up

I’ve been meaning to ask who the commentator is. Could he barrack any harder for the crows’ opposition? I’ve heard him before in Crows games and same same.

It's not necessarily barracking. He just doesn't talk about the Crows throughout play unless it's something obvious. My 9 year old daughter even picked up on it. "Why is this guy just talking about the other team?"

The commentators treat it as a given that the Crows are good. In their mind it doesn't need saying, everyone knows it.

However when a Vic team is clearly above the opposition they are in gushing raptures all game

It's not necessarily barracking. He just doesn't talk about the Crows throughout play unless it's something obvious. My 9 year old daughter even picked up on it. "Why is this guy just talking about the other team?"
I guess there’s no point in talking us up. They’ve got to build up the team that’s still winless this year? But haven’t they been so good!🥴🤪

Our Defence and structure is what makes us at the moment practically unbeatable, we just play the game better than any other team at the moment.

I love how we are looking to play

We give the handball every time. Almost never go back and hoof a kick up the line. Constantly have the ball on the move, keep running at the opposition. Don't give them a chance to rest, structure up behind the ball or slow the game down.

Very fluid, very fast. The skills come unstuck at times but that's inevitable and not reason to be more cautious. I wish our men's team played more in this fashion

Like I mentioned last week, the team have always had that ability for years to play the heavy contested/surge game but the fitness improvements, the ability to improve on transition and repeated running efforts especially with the likes of Jones and Thompson on the wings have made this such a better multi-faceted team then it was.

Carlton went with the transition style in a very similar matter to what Brisbane tried in round 1 and the Crows were able to keep up with it and repel it and like Brisbane playing that style in those conditions they were on their knees by 3qtr time.

How good was that handpass from Phillips? Most of the girls don't have the arm strength to handpass that far, let alone with such accuracy. Phillips found EJ with very little effort. Unbelievable assist and great goal by EJ.

Happy for Whiteley to finally get her first AFLW goal, especially after the previous passage of play. Good to see Ponter's efforts rewarded today. She's been down in form, but has been fantastic today and finally getting a great goal. Good to see Considine kick a couple. She's not the best kick (when not going for goal), so it was nice to see some nice things happen for her. Hopefully she builds from this. Erin didn't kick any goals, but she played her part.

Marinoff was unbelievable. 31 disposals, 8 marks and 10 tackles. She was everywhere today. Hatchard, second best. McKinnon was excellent with her marking. Martin was excellent with her tackling. Was great having the speed and agility of Ponter/Thompson/Mules back.

So who makes way if Charlton comes back next week? Munyard?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woke up from a Sunday nap just after half time.... Gee Bec still has a bit of a chip on her shoulder doesn't she. Barely heard anything positive about us in the time I was watching.

But my word do we look slick, Jones has found another gear this season.

We give the handball every time. Almost never go back and hoof a kick up the line. Constantly have the ball on the move, keep running at the opposition. Don't give them a chance to rest, structure up behind the ball or slow the game down.

Very fluid, very fast. The skills come unstuck at times but that's inevitable and not reason to be more cautious. I wish our men's team played more in this fashion
Some great coaching with Doc at the helm ably supported by his coaching panel.

Maybe it might dispell some of the crap thrown at him over the years by this board

Woke up from a Sunday nap just after half time.... Gee Bec still has a bit of a chip on her shoulder doesn't she. Barely heard anything positive about us in the time I was watching.

But my word do we look slick, Jones has found another gear this season.

Well Goddard made up for it by going full hyperbole post match by saying the Crows won’t get beaten this season, unsure I’d go that far or base it off of today’s game like she was, Carlton have been poor this season, don’t have a forward line nor their All-Australian ruck today, maybe a bit early to come out with ‘unbeatable’ statements.

Last edited:

We did...... in 2017 :(

Well Goddard made up for it by going full hyperbole post match by saying the Crows won’t get beaten this season, unsure I’d go that far or base it off of today’s game like she was, Carlton have been poor this season, don’t have a forward line nor their All-Australian ruck today, maybe a bit early to come out with ‘unbeatable’ statements.
IMO Freo look the best but will they tire as the season goes with all the travel ??

Going unbeaten is a very difficult task, but it's nice to see we've moved on from the days where we needed Erin and Randell to play solid games for us to win.

So many options all over the park and girls in form in the reserves.

Sarah Allen is our most important player. Prove me wrong.

Her, Hatchard and Marinoff, easily. And that just leaves the door open for a superstar like Phillips, or an athlete like Woodland, or whoever else to pop up and impact the game.

Good to see the Crows finish the match strongly after their poor fourth quarter last week. No idea who would go out for Charlton or Randall next week (if she's back), most of the usual poor players actually had decent games. I thought Munyard played her best game since coming to the Crows, and Considine looks so much more valuable when she's up forward than anywhere else on the ground. Ponter played her best game of the year, Newman continued to show her worth. Gore solid. Whiteley servicable but perhaps makes way for Randall when she's ready. I guess there's always the possibility of more Covid contacts deciding selection for us.

McKinnon also had her best game, and Biddell is just going along fantastic. Jones as well. Didn't mind Mules playing slightly higher today either, she looks more dangerous there cutting off the rebounds, rather than snapping little 20m shots on goal that inevitably miss or get cut off. The usual suspects were all solid as a rock. Strong overall performance, other than just being wasteful in front of goal in the first half.

Good to lock in a percentage booster :thumbsu: We need to do that in the rare occasions we actually get to play a weaker side. Our exceptional defence is helping that... so far teams have kicked 1 goal, 3 goals, 1 goal, 3 goals, and 1 goal against the Crows. Pretty damn miserly!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back