Preview Round 5 v Geelong at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Our forward line is our biggest advantage in this game, but it won't be of any help if we:

A) Don't win or at least break even in the midfield. This is Geelong's strength, even without Ablett. Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan, Menegola and Kelly are still as good a midfield as we'll face all year

B) Fail to be brave, and take the game on. I understand that the players are instructed to play tempo footy when the game situation demands; to hold the ball up after a mark and reset further down the line. But we are so much more dangerous when we wheel and go - it creates run from behind, movement in front and makes the oppposition reactive.

C) Defend like drunken yobbos after a big night at Mr Kims again. Keep your feet, help each other out and stay calm, FFS

D) Concede the ruck. Either Doogs competes like a proper ruckman against Stanley, or set up to rove to the opposition ruckman.

Having said that, I think that Geelong are ripe for the picking, with injuries to at least 6 first-choice players (Ablett, Henderson, Taylor, Guthrie, Cockatoo, Gregson), and if the players' ears are scorched from last week, we should win comfortably.

Unfortunately because we continue to refuse to play a proper system whereby we are "borrowing" necessary players and not replacing them and we do not look to correct this situation. The only exception is that we are hanging our players out to dry for not working hard enough without aknowledging a failing system. Geelong are going to take the 4 points and we will be in the same position wringing our hands and arguing among ourselves as to what the actual problem is.

I cannot believe the level of optimism from some on here. If we do somehow manage to jag a win here (I'm not at all confident) I think we still have a myriad of problems going further in the season and i for one want to know what sort of dumbass planning went into thinking it was ok waltzing into a season with a middleaged ruckman with a history of foot problems as the sole ruckman and not having some other plan. (and don't come and defend the 'plan' saying we thought ... would be ready) because they are not according to Ken so there is no flipping plan. And If Dixon was the plan then friggen replace him with another tall full forward for the entirety of the game. I am sick of not replacing like for like.

Unfortunately the game that told me all i needed to know about our season was played last week. Blind Freddy knew the outcome but we went ahead and pushed on with our foolish failing plans anyway. Unless something dramatic changes 2018 is just another version of 2015, 2016. 2017.

We are going to make Geelong look like (ageing) superstars but i am sure there will be a heat map and a dissection of all players who were not working hard enough bandied about to appeases the masses. No wonder Chad Wingard looks disinterested if i had to listen to the same bullshit sold to me that would have me on a hiding to nothing i too would be unhappy.

I want to be wrong Port but when you are refusing to make changes and keep making the SAME MISTAKES 6 years on I can't believe that we can win this. Now prove me wrong.

I think I've seen this movie before. Port, after being stung by a bad loss, come out fired up in the first quarter and take the lead by a couple of goals. After quarter time Geelong start to stifle Ports run, forcing long kicks down the members wing where the ghosts of Lachie Henderson and Harry Taylor become the 2 on 1 in contests at half forward against Dixon. When they don't mark, they spoil it out of bounds, giving them easy pickings at stoppages against our makeshift ruckman. Scores are about level at half time. Geelong start to pull ahead in the 3rd as Port can't get any rhythm going, they start to handball more to avoid the long kicks, selling themselves into trouble. In the last, the game starts to open up, but with scoreboard pressure mounting the backline turnover the ball with bad kicking across half-back, where a Cam Guthrie wannabe pounces to mop up and kick a couple of goals to put it beyond doubt. Cats win by 28.

I think I've seen this movie before. Port, after being stung by a bad loss, come out fired up in the first quarter and take the lead by a couple of goals. After quarter time Geelong start to stifle Ports run, forcing long kicks down the members wing where the ghosts of Lachie Henderson and Harry Taylor become the 2 on 1 in contests at half forward against Dixon. When they don't mark, they spoil it out of bounds, giving them easy pickings at stoppages against our makeshift ruckman. Scores are about level at half time. Geelong start to pull ahead in the 3rd as Port can't get any rhythm going, they start to handball more to avoid the long kicks, selling themselves into trouble. In the last, the game starts to open up, but with scoreboard pressure mounting the backline turnover the ball with bad kicking across half-back, where a Cam Guthrie wannabe pounces to mop up and kick a couple of goals to put it beyond doubt. Cats win by 28.
I hate that movie.

I think it stars, written and directed by Adam Sandler

Geelong are hugely exposed for tall defenders with the retirement of Lonergan and injuries to Henderson and Taylor.

So with that in mind, I fully expect one of their young replacements to morph into Alex Rance for a day, and/or for Hinkley and friends to select Neade so we spend most of the night kicking it on top of his head while Dixon and Watts plough deep furrows upfield.

This game is there for the taking.

Ordinarily.

The trouble with this is that we're so predictable this may well be exactly how it pans out.

Geelong are hugely exposed for tall defenders with the retirement of Lonergan and injuries to Henderson and Taylor.

So with that in mind, I fully expect one of their young replacements to morph into Alex Rance for a day, and/or for Hinkley and friends to select Neade so we spend most of the night kicking it on top of his head while Dixon and Watts plough deep furrows upfield.

Ordinarily.
Tom Stewart. Remember that name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From my observations, it all starts in the middle. Ruck is not be all & end all unless it is a definite hit out to advantage & a clean take away. In Essondon's game for example we actually had hands on the ball first on numerous occasions but couldn't convert them into clearance/take aways. Intensity at the contest is key. We need to be strong in the contests & win them. Then everything will looks good, Forwards get good quality supplies & Backs not under pressure & panic. Intensity!! Coaches need to rev them up! We should win!

Ordinarily.

If Dixon could actually catch the ball and not get underneath it, or have hands like cement, and not have to ruck much, he could kick 10 against their defenders. But that wont happen.

Come on. Get over it. 3-1 and things ain't nearly that bad.

People really need to stop throwing around “3-1” as if it’s a draw four card. We were a bee’s withered pube away from being 2-2, against Brisbane (who kicked the mighty sum of 17 points last week), at home.

Right now we are mid-pack and it’s delusional to think otherwise.

Was really hoping to see GAJ in Geelong colours live one more time (though he probably would have been rested for this one anyway). Port by 19. Any predictions on the crowd? I reckon 44k.

If Howard is rucking with Dixon we absolutely must must bring Hombsch in. When Dixon goes into the ruck, Dougal should be going forward especially if Marshall doesn’t get up for the match.

Hombsch is so key because when Dougal wasn’t in defense last week we got slaughtered in the air AND at ground level due to two big defenders flying to try stop Daniher and Stewart from marking which meant Tippa, Stringer, Green and Myers all killed us on the ground level play.

Our zone must be looked at too because it was the least effective part of our game plan last week by an absolute mile.

People really need to stop throwing around “3-1” as if it’s a draw four card. We were a bee’s withered pube away from being 2-2, against Brisbane (who kicked the mighty sum of 17 points last week), at home.

Right now we are mid-pack and it’s delusional to think otherwise.

People really need to stop acting like the entire season is shot off the back of two shit performances. That’s the point. Teams have poor games. Richmond hardly looked like premiership material in the first half of last year.
And if you want to do the whole sliding doors thing Geelong are one straight Max Gawn kick from going down to Melbourne (a club that hardly covered itself in glory on the weekend either) and being 1-3.

Last edited:
People really need to stop acting like the entire season is shot off the back of two shit performances. That’s the point. Teams have poor games. Richmond hardly looked like premiership material in the first half of last year.
And if you want to do the whole sliding doors thing Geelong are one straight Max Gawn kick from going down to Melbourne (a club that hardly covered itself in glory on the weekend either) and being 1-3.

Jesus Christ of course the season isn’t shot. But we do have some issues that need to be addressed and saying “buck up chaps we’re 3-1 I would’ve bit your arm off for that at the start of the year” disregards the true nature of our form and the issue we have that, if unattended for a long enough period of time, may start hurting us later on.

Yes Geelong are mid-pack as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 5 v Geelong at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back