Preview Round 5 v Geelong at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

People really need to stop throwing around “3-1” as if it’s a draw four card. We were a bee’s withered pube away from being 2-2, against Brisbane (who kicked the mighty sum of 17 points last week), at home.

Right now we are mid-pack and it’s delusional to think otherwise.
People need to stop thinking Team X beat Team Z by the Paddington Straight so we should've beaten Team Z by a gazillion goals.17... The AFL doesn't work like that never has.

Jesus Christ of course the season isn’t shot. But we do have some issues that need to be addressed and saying “buck up chaps we’re 3-1 I would’ve bit your arm off for that at the start of the year” disregards the true nature of our form and the issue we have that, if unattended for a long enough period of time, may start hurting us later on.

Yes Geelong are mid-pack as well.

Lol calm down. Do you honestly think I don’t think we have issues? I’m just finding the constant “I don’t feel like going this week because I’m cracking the sads” stuff a bit tiresome. It’s as bad as the Janus stuff but at the oppposite end of the spectrum.

We got the chocolates against Brissy what’s the problem win’s and win hey!
Yeah, when we make the top 4 this year I’ll happily look back on a 5 point win over Brisbane.

I want us to get a massive jump on a team for once. To come out breathing fire, to put them away early, and not take our foot off the pedal. I want US to determine how this game will be played, not Geelong. This is OUR home ground. I want us to be feared.

Then, we finally do; and people complain that we took the foot out of the pedal, besides still winning by 40 points.

Some people want us to run a marathon like a 100m runner. The season is long. These first seven, eight games are about forming the team, while keeping the "bunnies" on striking distance. The most important part of the H&A season is the middle. Now, the only thing we CANNOT do is panicking.

Unfortunately because we continue to refuse to play a proper system whereby we are "borrowing" necessary players and not replacing them and we do not look to correct this situation. The only exception is that we are hanging our players out to dry for not working hard enough without aknowledging a failing system. Geelong are going to take the 4 points and we will be in the same position wringing our hands and arguing among ourselves as to what the actual problem is.

I cannot believe the level of optimism from some on here. If we do somehow manage to jag a win here (I'm not at all confident) I think we still have a myriad of problems going further in the season and i for one want to know what sort of dumbass planning went into thinking it was ok waltzing into a season with a middleaged ruckman with a history of foot problems as the sole ruckman and not having some other plan. (and don't come and defend the 'plan' saying we thought ... would be ready) because they are not according to Ken so there is no flipping plan. And If Dixon was the plan then friggen replace him with another tall full forward for the entirety of the game. I am sick of not replacing like for like.

Unfortunately the game that told me all i needed to know about our season was played last week. Blind Freddy knew the outcome but we went ahead and pushed on with our foolish failing plans anyway. Unless something dramatic changes 2018 is just another version of 2015, 2016. 2017.

We are going to make Geelong look like (ageing) superstars but i am sure there will be a heat map and a dissection of all players who were not working hard enough bandied about to appeases the masses. No wonder Chad Wingard looks disinterested if i had to listen to the same bullshit sold to me that would have me on a hiding to nothing i too would be unhappy.

I want to be wrong Port but when you are refusing to make changes and keep making the SAME MISTAKES 6 years on I can't believe that we can win this. Now prove me wrong.

I too fail to see the optimism of some, any game against geebung is a danger game regardless of who they put on the park, the chances of someone in their colours, who we have hardly( if ever ) heard of having a blinder against us is a distinct possibility.

I think I've seen this movie before. Port, after being stung by a bad loss, come out fired up in the first quarter and take the lead by a couple of goals. After quarter time Geelong start to stifle Ports run, forcing long kicks down the members wing where the ghosts of Lachie Henderson and Harry Taylor become the 2 on 1 in contests at half forward against Dixon. When they don't mark, they spoil it out of bounds, giving them easy pickings at stoppages against our makeshift ruckman. Scores are about level at half time. Geelong start to pull ahead in the 3rd as Port can't get any rhythm going, they start to handball more to avoid the long kicks, selling themselves into trouble. In the last, the game starts to open up, but with scoreboard pressure mounting the backline turnover the ball with bad kicking across half-back, where a Cam Guthrie wannabe pounces to mop up and kick a couple of goals to put it beyond doubt. Cats win by 28.
Stop it!
I can't handle the truth.

Then, we finally do; and people complain that we took the foot out of the pedal, besides still winning by 40 points.

Some people want us to run a marathon like a 100m runner. The season is long. These first seven, eight games are about forming the team, while keeping the "bunnies" on striking distance. The most important part of the H&A season is the middle. Now, the only thing we CANNOT do is panicking.
True.. the bed wetting this week has reached new sponsor thread proportions. I still want us to put Geelong away though ;)

its not so much the Essendon performance that has me worried. Its the combination of the Brisbane and Essendon performance that rings alarm bells.

lets not forget that the Essendon game was virtually over 5 minutes into the 3rd before we played a token 7 minutes of good footy to wind out the quarter.

Put it this way, if that win is all that separates us between 4th and 5th at the end of the season you won’t give a shit how we won it.

And if we miss 4th on percentage I will and so will you.

Also the ultimate result is not as concerning as our actual performance and we did nothing to alleviate any concerns the following week. Of course you’d rather win than lose but how many more would we win playing like that?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol calm down. Do you honestly think I don’t think we have issues? I’m just finding the constant “I don’t feel like going this week because I’m cracking the sads” stuff a bit tiresome. It’s as bad as the Janus stuff but at the oppposite end of the spectrum.

I agree that’s pretty weak in itself (threatening non-attendance). Equally I don’t think the season is shot, but trying to paint our current predicament as “one off day” is either disingenuous or ignorant of the facts. There are plenty of people airing genuine concerns without foreshadowing the End of Days.

Put it this way, if that win is all that separates us between 4th and 5th at the end of the season you won’t give a shit how we won it.

Could also be the difference between 6th and 7th or 8th and 9th. Let's not get carried away talking top 4

I agree that’s pretty weak in itself (threatening non-attendance). Equally I don’t think the season is shot, but trying to paint our current predicament as “one off day” is either disingenuous or ignorant of the facts. There are plenty of people airing genuine concerns without foreshadowing the End of Days.

Look, if the AFL premiership was decided in a first last the post manner then yeah, I’d be more concerned with the current trough. But the reality is the AFL season is about banking as many wins early as possible, managing the list throughout the year, and peaking around September. It’s fair to say the only thing separating Sydney and a premiership last year was their 0-6 start, which necessitates them playing on the edge all season and nursing players through injuries because they were constantly playing catch up. By the time they hit the finals they were all but cooked. So to my mind 3-1 isn’t insignificant. We’ve banked some important wins while we wait for Ryder to return. No, it hasn’t all gone to plan but 3-1 right now sure beats 1-3, or even 2-2 whichever way you slice it.
Sure, we need improvement, but we’re going ok.

A somewhat odd response to a purely hypothetical post....

Not really. Talking about the difference between pos 4 or 5 is making the assumption that we'll be around that mark.

Look, if the AFL premiership was decided in a first last the post manner then yeah, I’d be more concerned with the current trough. But the reality is the AFL season is about banking as many wins early as possible, managing the list throughout the year, and peaking around September. It’s fair to say the only thing separating Sydney and a premiership last year was their 0-6 start, which necessitates them playing on the edge all season and nursing players through injuries because they were constantly playing catch up. By the time they hit the finals they were all but cooked. So to my mind 3-1 isn’t insignificant. We’ve banked some important wins while we wait for Ryder to return. No, it hasn’t all gone to plan but 3-1 right now sure beats 1-3, or even 2-2 whichever way you slice it.
Sure, we need improvement, but we’re going ok.

I guess the concern over the next few weeks is missing out on banking more of those early winnable games. You know, like the Essendon game.

I guess the concern over the next few weeks is missing out on banking more of those early winnable games. You know, like the Essendon game.

Let’s assume you wrote off the Sydney game as a loss pre season and ticked off Essendon as a win and call it a draw.

Wasn't remotely confident against Essendon but feel reasonably confident here. Not only for the win but also the type of performance that we'll produce.

Starting strong and hard, beating them around the ground (not just their exposed defence) and setting ourselves up for a big next few weeks.

We are a stronger team than last time, they are a weaker team than last time, and it took some kind of magic from the umpires to get them over the line.

The ruck situation leaves me with a bit of dread but at least Geelong probably doesn’t have the rucks to make us pay too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 5 v Geelong at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back