Preview Round 7 v Melbourne ANZAC Eve MCG Wednesday April 24th 7.25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't need to be inside the room to know the team selection is poor. Kids are being played out position then subbed or dropped after 1 week. Players selected off poor VFL form or no form. Any player with a bit of experience is never any danger of being dropped, only the kids.

You sound like a yes man supporter. Everything the club does is correct because they know best!
You kinda do. Without being inside the room how can you know why they were dropped? If a 'kid' gets dropped you might look at the stat sheet and think they did ok, but in reality they were dropped because they failed to run defensively. We don't see things like attitude without being in those rooms.

Selections are also based on gameplay and match ups. Anything thing not taking into account by many here.

The problem is so many are confused by some decisions and say they have no reasoning behind it when really there is reasoning we just can't see. Ayers aren't picked or dropped just for the hell of it.

You sound like a delusional couch supporter. You watch games where you can barely see the greater gameplay, no behind the scenes, no training, no attitude of players and think you have a better idea of who should be playing. Delusional.

We have go to stop thinking and talking like victims. I do it sometimes too. It's easy to fall into.

This club is a trendsetter now. All anyone talks about now is Richmond style football. Our assistant coaches dominate at other clubs. In ten years they will talk about the Richmond era.

The resentment of losing Dimma has to be put behind us. He was the architect of all that has passed, whether you like it or not. Coaches rarely get to leave on their own terms. 90% of them are sacked. Dimma earned the right to go out. It was all falling apart anyway with him still at the helm. He knew that. Everyone probably did in the end.

Let's start thinking like the top club we have become. Keep up the respect. Keep up the braggadocio. Keep thinking ahead. Have some belief. Yze and this footy dept have coached about 10 games all up. There is literally an injury crisis to most of our weaponry. Even for big footy some of the throwing of the toys out of the cot has been epic lol. **** it's footy, relax and enjoy it ! We are coming off three flags.

I'm pretty sure Yze and crew (whomever they end up being) are making notes and planning ahead as well as trying to be competitive in every game. We aren't privy to all the facts. Most of what we discuss here is conjecture, guesswork and opinions guided by our personal biases. That's all good but collectively we're all better when we get behind the team.

Recent history tells us that we can have a shizenhausen season, but bounce back quickly if it's done right. Dimma is gone, but not forgotten. Let him go.

Yze is here. Believe.

Tigers in an upset by 10 points.

Ryan cant do any worse than cricket bat arms KOSI

Btw I like Naismith but who's going to play tall forward? Its ultra small. Unless they have a plan to lower the eyes and hit up inside 50 leads. Maybe Miller plays forward (I prefer him back) hence Naismith rotating ruck and Ryan left out.

If they have a plan to play Miller forward I would not be at all surprised if Macca plays back which he has done before.

You can lower the eyes early in the game and we will look good. But once we tire, its going to be like the last few weeks, where we are forced to bomb it in long, or kick long out of defence and will be picked off easily.

But without Lynch and to a lesser extent Balta, thats probably happening with whatever combination of forwards we play anyway.

Watch McAuliffe and Sonsie get 30 each in the middle for the VFL again and then subsequently witness the coaches scratch their heads that they're not doing the same at AFL level when you put one in the forward pocket and the other doesn't get a fair go at it.

How long would McAuliffe and Sonsie last against Petracca, Oliver, Viney. That midfield works over every other team in the comp. They would be cooked after 15 minutes and we would lose by 15 goals.

Go down that route and we will quickly become North, where all the senior players lose interest. Its a long season, there are plenty of games to play these players. When we play the other bottom 4 sides, load up the team with kids, not on a big night against the best midfield in the comp.

Once the senior players lose interest we arent developing anyone and the year is wasted. Play 5-6 kids every week and rotate them through. Just playing kids doesnt make them better, playing them in a competetive team will. We arent winning without Lynch anyway, so its not effecting our draft position.

How long would McAuliffe and Sonsie last against Petracca, Oliver, Viney. That midfield works over every other team in the comp. They would be cooked after 15 minutes and we would lose by 15 goals.

Go down that route and we will quickly become North, where all the senior players lose interest. Its a long season, there are plenty of games to play these players. When we play the other bottom 4 sides, load up the team with kids, not on a big night against the best midfield in the comp.

Once the senior players lose interest we arent developing anyone and the year is wasted. Play 5-6 kids every week and rotate them through. Just playing kids doesnt make them better, playing them in a competetive team will. We arent winning without Lynch anyway, so its not effecting our draft position.

I reckon to play the kids against the best teams. Even if we get flogged hopefully they learn something in an otherwise lost season. Play them against the bottom 4 teams lose it's deflating and tends to set them back.

Imagine how Ben Brown feels being dropped for this game.

could kick four or five against us and cement his spot for a few more weeks.

You kinda do. Without being inside the room how can you know why they were dropped? If a 'kid' gets dropped you might look at the stat sheet and think they did ok, but in reality they were dropped because they failed to run defensively. We don't see things like attitude without being in those rooms.

Selections are also based on gameplay and match ups. Anything thing not taking into account by many here.

The problem is so many are confused by some decisions and say they have no reasoning behind it when really there is reasoning we just can't see. Ayers aren't picked or dropped just for the hell of it.

You sound like a delusional couch supporter. You watch games where you can barely see the greater gameplay, no behind the scenes, no training, no attitude of players and think you have a better idea of who should be playing. Delusional.
Sadly senior players are never dropped so injury is the main opportunity to play games. Sonsie & Kmac2 will be in and out of the side until a mid spot opens up in, maybe a couple of years.

Graham, Baker, Prestia & Dusty out the doors over the next couple of years. We will need mid/forwards. So all mids got to work on fwd skills too.

With the small fwd spots are locked away, going to have to get games when the mid/fwd retiring.

Last edited:
Imagine how Ben Brown feels being dropped for this game.

could kick four or five against us and cement his spot for a few more weeks.
tom petty and van pooyen will kick 10 between em

Not saying Naismith doesn't deserve a recall form has been great in the VFL but where does this leave Sampson Ryan? who has also been good.

Is this not the perfect match Ryan to learn & get some ruck contests in versus Gawn?

Last edited:
I don't work for the club, that's the point, ain't it? That we don't know

Please explain why 3 different coaches, with one being from outside the club, would all make the same choice to play him if there's no reason for it? Can't use the ol Dimmas favorite BS anymore.
Because the same Senior Assistants are running the show .. we have been terrible since Teague came to town

Makes Sense GIF by Paramount Network

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get it and understand your reasoning but every time this discussion comes up we always talk about, what could happen...
It's always a crystal ball outlook. Don't get me wrong, you're probably right but my whole point is, we'll never know until we put them in at the coal face and actually find out. If they're ever going to be midfield prospects, putting them up against some of the best mids to ever do it would be a vital learning experience.
I'm sure people would have said the same for Dow.

Thinking us v Geelong at Docklands in 2007.
We all wanted Raines to play in the midfield; the youngsters to be played and given a crack at it.
Reality was we were 10 goals down at quarter time and got beaten by 700 points.
It’s not just a matter of play the kids. You pick your moments when they are developing.

To those demanding that we play the kids and drop 'underperforming' senior players, are you going to be happy watching us play games where we're uncompetitive and out of the contest before half time?

The reason I ask is because that is likely to be the outcome most weeks. We saw an example of what it would be like when we had a majority of the side as kids against the Eagles.

So like it or not at the present time we're going to have to select a number of players that aren't desirable but are needed so that we can remain competitive in games.

What we are seeing though is kids are still getting opportunities and those that grab their chances are remaining in the side. Lefau Dow Brown Maurice Mansell & Campbell have all become regulars, while the likes of Ryan Koschitzke Sonsie McAuliffe Ralphsmith & Banks have been given a chance but haven't quite grasped it. Tresize is another who got a chance but unfortunately got hurt, but looked good and could be back in the side soon after he is fit again.

There is a process in place that Yze is following and it's not something that can be rushed. When Hardwick took over he took his time and slowly but surely built the list that he wanted and it took years before he got it to a point where we could win finals and eventually the flags.

This year is the equivalent to Hardwicks 2010 year, where he took over a side at the bottom of the ladder with a few potential stars on the list and a lot of cannon fodder. It then took until 2013 for us to become a finals side. Hopefully it doesn't take Yze until 2027 to achieve the same, but we need to be patient and let the process play out.

I get it and understand your reasoning but every time this discussion comes up we always talk about, what could happen...
It's always a crystal ball outlook. Don't get me wrong, you're probably right but my whole point is, we'll never know until we put them in at the coal face and actually find out. If they're ever going to be midfield prospects, putting them up against some of the best mids to ever do it would be a vital learning experience.
I'm sure people would have said the same for Dow.
Depth players have to play when a spot opens. can't pick and chose their games; Development ain't a straight line and looking at Miller & Dow they've 5 odd years.

Sonsie/Kmac2 just have to work on fwd craft. Banks in and out of the side means selectors rate him.

Hugo his last year, played well in VFL at half back but has to work out if he should be retained. Ditto Naischmidt.

This team looks more competitive than the one vs Eagles.

No real surprises out's ad in's.

Naismith is a better ruck that Ryan, and if stationed deep forward there wouldn't be a lot in it. Ryan kicked 4 last week, but took 4 marks for the game only. And the tallest Werribee back was about Grimes height. Did very little around the ground. Nank goes okay against Gawn. His work at ground level makes up for the lack of tap outs, but Nank makes it hard for his opponent. He has beaten Brundy and Marshall this year. Struggles against Williams for some reason. Naismith is not bad at the pressure as well.

MacIntosh to the bench and Hugo in his place I like. Hugo might not be all that much, but his VFL form has been very good and his kicking just as good. But he gives us a bit of pace which is really lacking. We will see Smith perhaps on the other wing soon enough, hope he plays there in the VFL.

Disappointing that MacAuliffe is not playing, but given how hard Melbourne run forward, I'm not surprised they have gone for a more experience, Martin, Bolton, Hopper. How long will Graham last in there will be the question. He would want to get his hands on some contested ball because we will need it.

Grimes was always coming in, like it or not. Fritsch needs constant minding because he can be crap for half a game then kick 2 or 3 in 10 minutes. Grimes has one job.

I'm really hoping Lefau continues his improvement. We bemoan our lack of forwards, but he has some really good forward attributes, so no real reason to think he won't keep improving. He could be a wildcard if we can half match Melbourne in the midfield.

We have go to stop thinking and talking like victims. I do it sometimes too. It's easy to fall into.

This club is a trendsetter now. All anyone talks about now is Richmond style football. Our assistant coaches dominate at other clubs. In ten years they will talk about the Richmond era.

The resentment of losing Dimma has to be put behind us. He was the architect of all that has passed, whether you like it or not. Coaches rarely get to leave on their own terms. 90% of them are sacked. Dimma earned the right to go out. It was all falling apart anyway with him still at the helm. He knew that. Everyone probably did in the end.

Let's start thinking like the top club we have become. Keep up the respect. Keep up the braggadocio. Keep thinking ahead. Have some belief. Yze and this footy dept have coached about 10 games all up. There is literally an injury crisis to most of our weaponry. Even for big footy some of the throwing of the toys out of the cot has been epic lol. * it's footy, relax and enjoy it ! We are coming off three flags.

I'm pretty sure Yze and crew (whomever they end up being) are making notes and planning ahead as well as trying to be competitive in every game. We aren't privy to all the facts. Most of what we discuss here is conjecture, guesswork and opinions guided by our personal biases. That's all good but collectively we're all better when we get behind the team.

Recent history tells us that we can have a shizenhausen season, but bounce back quickly if it's done right. Dimma is gone, but not forgotten. Let him go.

Yze is here. Believe.

I get your points 💯, but yes let's start acting like a big club because since our last flag we have dropped standards and regressed. I'm talking look at the mess in fitness and conditioning and medical department because of poor appointments last 2 seasons that's not acceptable. You got one of the best footy administrators in Balme who turned the footy department around not involved and end of year made redundant not because he wanted to go either. His experience and know how's at this time would be do valuable. To many mistakes under the current head of footy Tim Livingstone.

Not saying Naismith doesn't deserve a recall form has been great in the VFL but where does this leave Sampson Ryan? who has also been good.

Is this not the perfect match Ryan to learn & get some ruck contests in versus Gawn?
Spot on 7 goals in 2 vfl games to reward form. His the future through.

To those demanding that we play the kids and drop 'underperforming' senior players, are you going to be happy watching us play games where we're uncompetitive and out of the contest before half time?

The reason I ask is because that is likely to be the outcome most weeks. We saw an example of what it would be like when we had a majority of the side as kids against the Eagles.

So like it or not at the present time we're going to have to select a number of players that aren't desirable but are needed so that we can remain competitive in games.

What we are seeing though is kids are still getting opportunities and those that grab their chances are remaining in the side. Lefau Dow Brown Maurice Mansell & Campbell have all become regulars, while the likes of Ryan Koschitzke Sonsie McAuliffe Ralphsmith & Banks have been given a chance but haven't quite grasped it. Tresize is another who got a chance but unfortunately got hurt, but looked good and could be back in the side soon after he is fit again.

There is a process in place that Yze is following and it's not something that can be rushed. When Hardwick took over he took his time and slowly but surely built the list that he wanted and it took years before he got it to a point where we could win finals and eventually the flags.

This year is the equivalent to Hardwicks 2010 year, where he took over a side at the bottom of the ladder with a few potential stars on the list and a lot of cannon fodder. It then took until 2013 for us to become a finals side. Hopefully it doesn't take Yze until 2027 to achieve the same, but we need to be patient and let the process play out.
Simple saying reward form and drop under performing players what benefits are we getting playing Macca and Pickett with their current form sets a bad example for me.

Let's start thinking like the top club we have become. Keep up the respect. Keep up the braggadocio. Keep thinking ahead. Have some belief. Yze and this footy dept have coached about 10 games all up. There is literally an injury crisis to most of our weaponry. Even for big footy some of the throwing of the toys out of the cot has been epic lol. * it's footy, relax and enjoy it ! We are coming off three flags.

Yze is here. Believe.

i am about to run through a brick wall

but

demons by 60

Na it was worth 1 year (being very kind here)

It’s the 3 year contract we gave him, that’s the disaster

Not huge money.. gave up a draft pick we probably weren’t using. If Nank and Naismith are injured he can play a bit of ruck. In the off season we’ll probably try to turn him into a KPD which is where he played juniors. It’s really not a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not huge money.. gave up a draft pick we probably weren’t using. If Nank and Naismith are injured he can play a bit of ruck. In the off season we’ll probably try to turn him into a KPD which is where he played juniors. It’s really not a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Na 3 years is a big deal 🤣🤦‍♂️ was just unnecessary

But I hear what you’re saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back