Round 7, winners and why

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs: Should be a good game, but the dogs will pull away in the 2nd half. Dogs by 30.

Essendon v Port Adelaide: Toss of the coin. Our record against Port is shocking, at home and away. Got to stick with the heart. Essendon by 12.

West Coast v Hawthorn: The hawks week in the media spotlight, and they'll respond. Hawks by 36.

Collingwood v North Melbourne: Pies too good. Complacency the only issue. Pies by 40.

Brisbane v Fremantle: Should be a ripper. Lions just at home. Brisbane by 18.

Geelong v Sydney: Another ripper. Cats just at home. Cats by 18.

Adelaide v Richmond: Surely, the crows. Crows by 48.

St. Kilda v Carlton: Saints hard to beat at Etihad. Saints by 12.

The only chance Sydney have this week is if Gary Ablett announces he's off to the gold coast in the next 6 days.

Doesnt mean Sydney arent genuine top 4, but even in the 05/06 era, the swans never won in Geelong.

A win will be great, but anything above not getting any injuries, and not dropping too much % is enough for me this week.

Melbourne vs. Western Bulldogs - Bulldogs. They're not in the best form, but they've had some tough games this year, and history shows back-to-back preliminary final losers more often than not don't tend to do too well the following year, and I don't rate them as a premiership contender, but they are still a good side, better than Melbourne are at the moment, and the endeavour will be there. They have not lost 2 games in a row this year, and I don't see it happening next week. Dogs by 27.

Essendon vs. Port - Bombers. Port are unpredictable, up and down and haven't won 3 games on the trot this year. I don't see it happening next week. Sure they beat the Saints, but Geelong smashed them, and they were crap against Brisbane, and I think that while the Bombers are not as good as Port are, I don't think Port are too good at Etihad and I know the Bombers aren't a bottom 4 side when they're switched on and have something to play for and yet again their season is on the line. I think they'll deliver the goods. Bombers by 21.

West Coast vs. Hawthorn -
Don't West Coast usually win following a derby loss? Their first half against the Dockers and some of the 3rd quarter shows they are better than what their record shows, and as for Hawthorn, well they are ****ed, are out of the finals race, have no confidence, plan B, or ruckman, and the Eagles beat them at Subi last year when Hawthorn were a little better than what they are at the moment. Eagles to win, and win well. West Coast by 52.

Collingwood vs. North -
North are a young side, they show a lot of character and have been taking the game on. Apart from the Saints hammering they've been competitive and 3-3 is respectable, but it's a bit much to ask for a young and upcoming team which doesn't get as much credit as it deserves to win 3 on the trot with the 3rd scalp being against one of the best teams in the competition, who've carried on from their strong second half of last season (excluding finals). The Pies are on song, unfortunately. Collingwood by 38.

Brisbane Lions vs. Fremantle -
The Dockers, are obviously a really good young team, but after coming off a pretty intense derby and heading to a ground they've never won at before with a good home record, I think they'll just fall short, like they did against the Saints. Brissy by 7 points.

Geelong vs. Sydney -
Sydney are a solid team, top of the ladder. I was really impressed with who they added to their squad during the off-season. Some teams match up better against Geelong than others, and the Cats do have their off day, but if you think their loss to Carlton means the decline has begun, then think again. Apparently Ablett, Scarlett and Corey will be back, and it's at Skilled, and even though Sydney's been the best team in the competition so far this year, and many would expect this to be a close one, I honestly think Geelong will smash them in a 10-15 minute burst of brilliance and that'll be the difference. Geelong by 34.

Adelaide vs. Richmond -
Crows will win, but not by much, because Richmond play better on a wider ground (their best game was against the Dockers), but that's not saying much. It wasn't too long ago that Richmond lost to Adelaide at AAMI and not by much, and didn't they beat Port at AAMI last year or got within a kick? And they were shit then, too, just like they usually are. But coming off a showdown loss, coming up against the worst team since Fitzroy, and showing the smallest bit of improvement, I don't see the Crows ****ing this one up. Adelaide by 16.

St Kilda vs. Carlton -
Oh god just talking about an upcoming St Kilda game makes me sleepy. :D Blues are up and down. They were last year as well. A lot of WLWLWL on their record. They came close to beating the Saints last year, and I think even though the Saints have a soft draw coming up and will still make the top 4, sides will expose this lock down crap they've come up with and coming off a disappointing loss against their arch rivals and eager to stay in the hunt I think the Saints will try lock down mode again since they think it's gonna work week in week out, and the Blues will do what the Bulldogs couldn't do, crack them open and hold on for a tight win in an upset. Blues by 9.

I wonder how much impact Scott's intimate knowledge of the Collingwood group and game plan will have on the result.
not much, we have 3 new assistant coaches in scott watters and nathan buckley and maxxy hudgeton, things are wayy different than last year. :thumbsu:

western bulldogs vs melbourne- bulldogs by 32, class above them atm and their forward line cant compete.

essendon vs port- essendon by 5, gonna be a tight contest under the roof.

wce vs hawthorn- in perth, wce.

collingwood vs north- pies comfortably, north have found some form but collingwood have been on the up game after game.

brisbane vs freo- brisbane cos its in brisbane. brownola wil have to step up against a good side.

geelong vs sydney- sydney by 4 goals. syd had them on the ropes last time and they were lucky to win it, sydney this time.

adelaide vs coburg- draw

st.kilda vs carlton- carlton. think some team will have to figure it out sooner or later.

This is what i think now but i'll probably change my mind about some games later in the week.......

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs - Dees have been brilliant at the MCG lately and that will prevent them getting smashed this one and could even provide them a win. They should have a point to prove after a fairly sub-par performance last week it has to be said, though the Kangas did deserve it. But the Dogs have a little more class and should win but i definately wouldn't putting any money on them. Should be a cracking game to kick off the round, Petterd out is a huge loss for us. Bullies by 19 points.

Essendon v Port Adelaide - This game could literally go either way with both teams entering good form. Bombers will more than likely pile the pressure on again after a club record of 106 (?) takles. I'm going with Port because of their great record over the Bombers but with absolutely no confidence. Again should be a good game. Power by 1 point.

West Coast v Hawthorn - Hawks are just about shot and the Eagles would want to impress for their home fans after an indifferent start to the season. Crunch game for both clubs sitting at 1-5 but the home ground avantage should get the Eagles home. Eagles by 25 points.

Collingwood v North Melbourne - First time at the MCG for the Kangas this year and would want to make a point no doubt, two in a row and a big game for them but the Pies are just rolling along b-e-a-Utifully atm and should be far too strong for the young Roos. Pies by 46 points.

Brisbane v Frematle - Fremantle have been awsome these first 6 rounds. Couldn't really ask for much more. Brisbane in their past 2 games have been pretty average but at the Gabba they are a 7 goal better team and might prove a little too strong for the Dockers because of this, but it should a good game. Lions by 28 points.

Geelong v Sydney - Should prove a very good contest, just about match of the round. You'd be very brave to tip against either side on current form but at Skilled stadium you'd think that'd tip it in the Cats' favour. Cats by 20 points

Adelaide v Richmond - One of these teams SHOULD get a win next to their name after this one and that team should be Adelaide at home. They didn't seem to bad against the Power and the Tigers well, they do have a chance of winning this one but that chance is only slight because they have been woeful. Crows by 35 points.

St.Kilda v Carlton - This game is next Monday night so very very early tip here but i think the Saints in let us hope a good game. A loss by that much after being so close will dent the Blues' confidence one would imagine and the Saints would feel they could do just about anything right now after doing the impossible last week. Not even mentioning that Cartlon haven't beaten St.Kilda since 2001. This match is interestinly the first time the Blues will play at Etihad Stadium this year. Saints by 23 points.

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs - Bulldogs - must win !
Essendon v Port Adelaide - Port - better team !
West Coast v Hawthorn - West Coast - At Subi !
Collingwood v North Melbourne - Colliwobbles by a lot
Brisbane v Fremantle - Freo, we haven't travelled for 3 weeks !
Geelong v Sydney - Geelong, match of the round
Adelaide v Richmond - Adelaide
St.Kilda v Carlton - St Kilda

Dogs vs Melb: Dogs to bounce back win by 25.

Ess vs Port: Port, are starting to fancy themselves as a finalist. Won't drop this.

Coll vs North: Pies but my tip for the potential upset. Roos playing well.

Lions vs Freo: Lions to bounce back.

Geel vs Sydney: Swans

West Coast vs Hawthorn: Eagles by a lot.

Adel vs Rich: Adelaide

Saints vs Carl: Saints. After 3 games in 12 days will appreciate the long break.

Collingwood vs. North -
North are a young side, they show a lot of character and have been taking the game on. Apart from the Saints hammering they've been competitive and 3-3 is respectable, but it's a bit much to ask for a young and upcoming team which doesn't get as much credit as it deserves to win 3 on the trot with the 3rd scalp being against one of the best teams in the competition, who've carried on from their strong second half of last season (excluding finals). The Pies are on song, unfortunately. Collingwood by 38.

Melbourne did it, running in to Brisbane. And then we did them.

Saying that, I can see one of two results... North by a goal or Collingwood by ten goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demons vs Dogs : The Demons are on the up and the Dogs may be on the way down, but the gap between them hasn't been met yet. Dogs by 29.

Bombers vs Power : Will be a cliff-hangar so I'm going with my heart with the Dons finally breaking the Port hoodoo. Bombers by 8.

Eagles vs Hawks : Hawthorn are in the process of a very public meltdown and I can't see the Eagles letting this chance slip at home. Eagles by 21.

Magpies vs Kangaroos : This will be a lot tighter than people think. The Pies have been dominant and are due for a down game, and the Kanga's will be pumped up. However the Pies will still get the job done. Magpies by 13.

Lions vs Dockers : This game hinges on Brown and to be honest I don't think he's back to 100%. Dockers by 32.

Cats vs Swans : This will be a cracker, but I'm forseeing the beginning of the end of the Cats dynasty. Swans by 10.

Crows vs Tigers : Both woeful teams. For mine though I'm going with the underdog in this one. Tigers by 5 points.

Saints vs Blues : The St Kilda hoodoo to continue as the Blues are notoriously bad against the lockdown. Saints by 42.

Saying that, I can see one of two results... North by a goal or Collingwood by ten goals.

Yeah but Brisbane are not one of the best teams in the competition. Collingwood are though. I thought maybe with Brissy's home record they'd get enough wins on the road to sneak into the top 4, though - but now I'm not so sure.

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs - sorry Doggies, Dees by 2
Essendon v Port Adelaide - Hirds 2nd game as coach & he be 2 from 2!
West Coast v Hawthorn - Dawks are bad, Feagles are worse, Dawks by 22
Collingwood v North Melbourne - Norf close but Peis by 12
Brisbane v Fremantle - Frockers by plenty
Geelong v Sydney - Geelong, Swans, Geelong, Swans, umm Catters by 5
Adelaide v Richmond - Carn Tiges! (Cows by 55)
St.Kilda v Carlton - yep Aints +24

I wouldn't be using Brisbane is any benchmarking arguments, most over-inflated list in the comp. I hope Freo roll them this week.
I agree, we'll either snatch it or get pumped.

Dogs vs Melb: Doggies by 35. They will be disappointed with the loss to the Saints and will be able to run harder for longer than a young Melbourne.

Ess vs Port: Port have some form and Essendon will be flat after a big effort this week. Port by 20

Coll vs North: Roos playing well but Collingwood are playing better and developing momentum. Pies by 25

Lions vs Freo: Lions should win this at home after a couple of disappointing losses and Freo coming off a tough game combined with the longest road trip in the AFL and a 6 day break. Brisbane by 15

Geel vs Sydney: Geelong by 5 at home. Cats played into some form and Sydney won't be able to shut them down at Skilled.

West Coast vs Hawthorn: Really hard game by two teasm desperate for a win. Crowd to get the e-girls home by 10.

Adel vs Rich: Adelaide by 22. Richmond unfortunately are not going to have much joy this year

Saints vs Carl: Saints will kill Carltons run and the blues will fall apart under the sustained pressure. Saints by 23. Would be a lot more but the Saints will only kick 7 goals :D

Melbourne vs West Bulldogs - Dogs can't just turn up expecting the win as they will be in trouble if they do, but having said that they will be stunned by last week's fadeout and should get back on winners list - Dogs by 18pts

Essendon vs Port Adelaide - Could go either way as both teams are very inconsistant, despite being in Melbourne I'm slightly leaning towards Power but it will be close - Power by 7pts

West Coast vs Hawthorn - Have no idea who to tip in this one, both are struggling but Eagles only because its at Subiaco - Eagles by 5pts

Collingwood vs North Melb - Pies are the hot at the moment, but this is a real danger game for them but on current form you couldn't go against Pies - Pies by 25pts

Brisbane vs Fremantle - Lions need to rebound after two losses while the Dockers continue to suprise, coming off a 6 day break and going to Brisbane may be too much for Dockers - Lions by 14pts

Geelong vs Sydney - Match of the round no doubt, Swans are playing well but some still say they haven't really been tested yet. Cats play Skilled so well and will win what should be a cracking contest - Cats by 12pts

Adelaide vs Richmond - There will be a riot in Adelaide if the Crows can't win this one, surely even they could cover the rabble that is Richmond - Crows by 27pts

St Kilda vs Carlton - Will be interesting to see how Saints play this one after all the flak they have been getting, but winning form is good and I think they will keep Blues in check - Saints by 24pts

Crowd Predictions
Melbourne vs W.Bulldogs @ MCG - 43,000
Essendon vs Port Adel @ ES - 31,000
West Coast vs Hawthorn @ Subiaco - 35,000
Collingwood vs North Melb @ MCG - 54,000
Brisbane vs Fremantle @ GABBA - 25,000
Geelong vs Sydney @ SS - 26,000
Adelaide vs Richmond @ AS - 32,000
St Kilda vs Carlton @ ES - 45,000

Dogs vs Melb: If the dogs dont win this one they are in serious trouble, Melb arent that good, improved, but not that good and the dogs need a good strong win. Unfortuantely ill be tipping them to win by about 30 points

Ess vs Port: Port are not to bad a team, they will come to Melb with some confidence and will probably be to strong for Ess. I dont rate Ess much to be honest. I would expect Tredrea to kick 5-6 and port to win by 30

Coll vs North: Coll easily. 54 points

Lions vs Freo: Lions should win this one. Surely. I would think they will win most of their games at the Gabba this year, keen to bounce back after playing a potential top 4 side in Sydney. Still a big trip for Freo, but if they can win, that would prove they are fair dinkum and Brisbane a little overrated but ill go the lions by 21

Geel vs Sydney: Ripping game, i am going Sydney in an upset by 4 points. I reckon they are a bloody good side and Geel might be in for a shock as the swans will be very pumped for this (gotta pick one upset)

West Coast vs Hawthorn: If Hawthorn dont win this they are seriosuly seriously stuffed. West Coast are not a good side atm and the Hawks need to make a big statement and come out and win this. Hawks by 14

Adel vs Rich: Adel arent mucg good but Richmond are awful. Crows to get first win by 24 points

Saints vs Carl: carlton buckle when the heat is on, and the Saints are a good unit that apply pressure well and relish a hard contest. Saints by 26. Kosi to kick 4 and play a strong role up forward

I love it.. Melbourne win a couple n all of a sudden their supporters are arm chair critics ;) Mate.. WB at full pace will belt your mob by a lot more than 30 points

Melbourne vs West Bulldogs - Dogs can't just turn up expecting the win as they will be in trouble if they do, but having said that they will be stunned by last week's fadeout and should get back on winners list - Dogs by 18pts

Essendon vs Port Adelaide - Could go either way as both teams are very inconsistant, despite being in Melbourne I'm slightly leaning towards Power but it will be close - Power by 7pts

West Coast vs Hawthorn - Have no idea who to tip in this one, both are struggling but Eagles only because its at Subiaco - Eagles by 5pts

Collingwood vs North Melb - Pies are the hot at the moment, but this is a real danger game for them but on current form you couldn't go against Pies - Pies by 25pts

Brisbane vs Fremantle - Lions need to rebound after two losses while the Dockers continue to suprise, coming off a 6 day break and going to Brisbane may be too much for Dockers - Lions by 14pts

Geelong vs Sydney - Match of the round no doubt, Swans are playing well but some still say they haven't really been tested yet. Cats play Skilled so well and will win what should be a cracking contest - Cats by 12pts

Adelaide vs Richmond - There will be a riot in Adelaide if the Crows can't win this one, surely even they could cover the rabble that is Richmond - Crows by 27pts

St Kilda vs Carlton - Will be interesting to see how Saints play this one after all the flak they have been getting, but winning form is good and I think they will keep Blues in check - Saints by 24pts

Crowd Predictions
Melbourne vs W.Bulldogs @ MCG - 43,000
Essendon vs Port Adel @ ES - 31,000
West Coast vs Hawthorn @ Subiaco - 35,000
Collingwood vs North Melb @ MCG - 54,000
Brisbane vs Fremantle @ GABBA - 25,000
Geelong vs Sydney @ SS - 26,000
Adelaide vs Richmond @ AS - 32,000
St Kilda vs Carlton @ ES - 45,000

I reckon every crowd estimate is unders there except your own one.....(and maybe Dees and dogs)

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs - Melbourne have improved. The Doggies have gone backwards. However the gap is still well in the Dogs favour. Dogs by 30.
Essendon v Port Adelaide - Flip of the Coin IMO. Dont know which sides will show up. Either side could win by 50, also could be a thriller. It's heads, I'll go Essendon.
West Coast v Hawthorn - If the Hawks lose this, i think finally the footy world (and myself) will accept the fact that they simply just aren't that good. Instead of waiting for them to click. WC aren't much chop and i think the Hawks will get the better of them and get one more week of hope. Hawks by 20.Collingwood v North Melbourne - Dont know if Collingwood cant sustain their current form line, but i think they will this week.They'll pump North by 10 goals.
Brisbane v Fremantle - If Freo win this week i'll admit they are a threat. Brisbane are overrated. Fev isn't all THAT much better than Bradshaw, so he hasn't improved them as much as some would make you believe. Could go either way. GABBA says Lions by 20.
Geelong v Sydney - Like Freo, if they win this i'll admit they are a threat. They've done well to get their side up and running again after a poor year last year. But i think Geelong will be too strong at Skilled. Cats by 40.
Adelaide v Richmond - In the Hawthorn boat, waiting for Adelaide to click. Their list is not bottom 2 IMO. They'll win by 50.
St.Kilda v Carlton - St.Kilda own Carlton. I think Carlton have some sort of chance and St.Kilda are a bit vulnerable IMO. Despite winning they were poor last week. I still think the Saints will win, the difference between Carltons best and worst is pretty large but if they bring their A game they could cause an upset. However, Saints by 20.

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs - Doggies will be filthy after last week. Melbourne looked horrible against North. Doggies by 47 points.
Essendon v Port Adelaide - Hard one to tip considering both sides form. Port have won their past two, Essendon coming off a confidence boosting win. Essendon by 16 points.
West Coast v Hawthorn - Hawthorn are hapless right now. The Eagles have been bad but Hawthorn look incapable of winning. West Coast by 23 points
Collingwood v North Melbourne - North have a history of beating Collingwood. Their consider themselves a show again. I think the pies are strong across the park though and should take this comfortably after a fight for a half and a bit. Pies by 35 points.
Brisbane v Fremantle - Big game. The Lions having lost two in a row. The Dockers regaining their form after the loss to St.Kilda. Lions by 8 points at home.
Geelong v Sydney - BIG game where the Swans will be exposed. No doubt the Swans are finals bound this year but are up against the premiers. I don't consider them without a hope, but unlikely to win here. Cats by 29 points.
Adelaide v Richmond - Crows easily here. They lose here and their dreadful. Richmond aren't up to AFL standard. Crows by 73 points despite being horrible this year.
St.Kilda v Carlton - Ripper game to finish the round. This could be epic. The Blue play great football when their on. The Saints are great at stopping teams completely. Saints by 12 points in a close grind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 7, winners and why

Remove this Banner Ad

Back