Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did get two points, tis true. But left me with a gut wrenching feeling over the weekend. Just a visceral reaction, nothing more.

Reminded me of a couple of games in 2010, that were very unsavoury to my acquired palate.

Sorry to upset, EM. Carry on :thumbsu:
Maybe (hopefully) we'll come out the following week after a draw & demolish the opposition..like we did in 2010 😉

When we smacked them last year, Darcy broke the record for intercept marks, playing on Curnow.

You mean when the Blues were in the worst of their slump?

What about when we played them the second time? That’s more representative of how they’re playing now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think it would be worth trying Shoota as a defensive mid behind the ball at centre bounces to stop opposition mids breaking forward the way Essendon did on Anzac Day.
It would get him into the game more.
He could swap forward with Jordy at times - we know Jordy can play forward.

How exactly would that work with the 6-6-6 rule?

Or are you suggesting playing Schultz in the centre square but as a defensive-side stopper ie not actually competing for the ball at the ball up? If the latter, we’d only have two mids genuinely competing for the ball off the ruck tap up against three for Carlton. That’s not likely to end well, even with Schultz hanging back on the defensive side of the contest.

How exactly would that work with the 6-6-6 rule?

Or are you suggesting playing Schultz in the centre square but as a defensive-side stopper ie not actually competing for the ball at the ball up? If the latter, we’d only have two mids genuinely competing for the ball off the ruck tap up against three for Carlton. That’s not likely to end well, even with Schultz hanging back on the defensive side of the contest.

Carlton often win the ball on their defensive side of a stoppage.

They've got to start getting Schultz and McCreery on ball and get involved. Both are just not doing enough.

Sidebottom needs to a forward pocket or in the 2s.

The midfield has to start looking different, Blues will obliterate it.

How is everyone feeling at the end of the weekend?

The draw was probably worse than a loss, to be honest. Reminds me of the immediate aftermath, and shock of the 2010 GF. We still had another chance and in hindsight, the result went our way, but I think when we are reigning premiers and being pumped up in the shadow of a GF win, we expect results to go our way.

The Handbags gave the Blues a bit of a culture shock. I wonder if that can fester into Friday night. I am one of the young brigade, so I don't recall the doom and gloom of the 70s-late 90s, and Carlton's back room antics. I cannot STAND losing to the Blues.

Thoughts?

It's my birthday Monday week, too. I remember the Centenary match on my birthday in 2001. Hope we knock them off, like that day too. Great memory!

View attachment 1973825
I was relieved when the siren went more than anything. I was bracing myself for another Zaharakis moment. I was annoyed about Checkers two misses and Elliot's dropped mark though.

Funny I remember the 2010 draw feeling like a loss at first. It wasn't until the day after the drawn GF that it sunk in that we were still in it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean when the Blues were in the worst of their slump?

What about when we played them the second time? That’s more representative of how they’re playing now.

Except in the game where we smacked they had their best 22 playing minus only De Koning.
And in the second game we were in a slump.

They are vulnerable on the counter attack with fast ball movement which is our strength.
Not sure why so many here are throwing in the towel.

Last edited:
I’m enjoying your Carlton posts, and pretty agree with everything you’ve said about them.

But on the issue of us not absorbing pressure - Port applied enormous pressure in the first quarter of that game, and we withstood it and turned it around.

Last night we were tired.

We won’t be tired this Friday. Will be interesting to see if there is a difference.

Not really. They kicked 6 goals. Absorbing pressure would've been holding them to 2-3 goals in the face of that onslaught, like we were able to do last year when the oppo had a run on. The exact same thing happened against the Dons. We couldn't absorb pressure like we have previously and coughed up 6 goals. I don't blame the defence, it's been a lack of any pressure through the midfield that has been killing us this season.

I still think our best can match the top sides such as the Cats, Giants and Swans.

Friday is a must win for any chance of finishing top 4.

Not really. They kicked 6 goals. Absorbing pressure would've been holding them to 2-3 goals in the face of that onslaught, like we were able to do last year when the oppo had a run on. The exact same thing happened against the Dons. We couldn't absorb pressure like we have previously and coughed up 6 goals. I don't blame the defence, it's been a lack of any pressure through the midfield that has been killing us this season.

I still think our best can match the top sides such as the Cats, Giants and Swans.

Friday is a must win for any chance of finishing top 4.

I was emphasising the Port pressure in the first half of the first quarter against us. It was off the charts. Our turnaround in that game was emphatic, it started in the first quarter, and was much more than we achieved on Anzac Day.

Anyway, we got out of it with a draw, and now face the most important game of our season so far this Friday.

Last time they beat us off a 6 day break coming off the best H&A game of the year against Port Adelaide in Adelaide.

I know they were missing McKay and Cerra only played a half before being injured etc but not only that, the game was an even contest outside of the second quarter which fell 1.2 to 4.1 their way.

I think current form says Carlton win but if we can make it click we're every chance.

Our game style shift towards scores from front half turnover over back half turnover has seen us use the corridor less - which has hurt us in a few games thus far - but against a shaky Carlton defense I genuinely feel if we can at least break even in the middle, we'll go a long way to winning this one.

He’s competitive but not sure you’d pay a future rounder on what Blair provided in 2011

Blairy was damn good that year. The problem was it was the high water mark of his career. Schultz is down on the last two years output which is what you’re giving the pick for, but if you track the numbers it’ll only be a big game and he’s back on track.

I would make it pretty straight forward this week and switch HH for Steele then reshuffle the midfield mix. I also wouldn’t be shocked to see a Sullivan debut.

I haven’t caught up and won’t, but the vibe feels much like post the St Kilda loss to me in the build up to the Brisbane game. I’m much more confident about this one than v WC the following week. For anyone interested maybe take a peak at our record over the past 15 matches it speaks to a very inconsistent group.

Out crisp...side bum and Mitchell

In reef...Sullivan and bytel

Nah, Mitchell is going to be incredibly important for us against Carlton

Only change we need is Sidebottom out and either Reef, Sullivan or Fin in

Given it's Carlton, we need as much midfield depth/grunt as possible so it should probably be Sullivan or Fin for Steele. Hosk or Lipinski can play wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back