Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With DeGoey and Mitchell in doubt, is there any chance Allan gets a call up into the centre square against Carlton?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

God help us if the injuries start to come. We’ve been very lucky so far.
If De Goey is out, I wouldn't hesitate to tip Carlton. He may not have been of last year's standard, but I am sure there is daylight between him and whoever might take his place.

Wow, if both Jordy and Titch are out, I think i tipped Pies by 11 previously, now it's Pies by 2.

Out: Jordan DeGoey, Tom Mitchell
In: Oleg Markov, Fin Macrae

B Brayden Maynard Billy Frampton Isaac Quaynor
HB Johnny F$%king Noble Darcy Moore Oleg Markov
C Steele Sidebottom Scott Pendlebury Josh Daicos
HF Lachie Schultz Patrick Lipinski Brody Mihocek
F Bobby Hill Jamie Elliott Mason Cox
R Darcy Cameron Nick Daicos Jack Crisp
INT Fin Macrae Beau McCreery Will Hoskin-Elliott
Jeremy Howe
SUB Harvey Harrison

We aren't gonna beat them out the middle, bring Leggy in for a bit more speed out of our backline.
And Fin to complete in the middle, back him in, get to work Fin. But hopefully Jordy and Titch get up.

According to the medical report Titch’s foot issue is plantar fasciitis. Probably one of the most annoying injuries you can get, takes a few weeks to get that irritating pain out (I’ve managed to get it once after going for long walks too far for too long)

Given our midfield struggles this season (i.e. our inability to dominate centre clearances), which was highlighted by our inability to quell Stringer and Parish at stoppage last week, I was thinking whether we have anyone who is capable of playing as a tagger (or being developed to play as a tagger).

It's not in vogue these days, however I think there remains some value in having a player who is capable of tagging an opposition mid when the midfield battle is stacked against you (which I think it is this week). If your tagger has a good game, you can effectively neutralise one of the opposition's prime movers, which usually forces the opposition to adjust their system.

Some players are hard to tag. For instance, I wouldn't tag Cripps as he's too big and effective at stoppage, regardless of his opponent. I would however entertain the idea of tagging Walsh, even if it's only for certain periods of the game.

To me the most obvious candidates are Beau and Crispy, however is it possible that someone like Oleg has the stamina and mentality required to apply a hard tag? I think you're giving too much up in other areas of our game by sending Beau or Crispy out to tag, but could see the utility in using one of our 'lesser lights' to attempt to even up the midfield battle.

Last edited:
God help us if the injuries start to come. We’ve been very lucky so far.

Yep they’ve been lucky so far… and still only been a middle of the table side for it

On the flip side… injuries at least force the coaching group to play the youth (and Sullivan)…

Cause they’ve shown minimal intent on doing so so far

Reef being the exception cause with McStay’s injury, Johnson’s malaise… the cupboard was bare otherwise

Given our midfield struggles this season (i.e. our inability to dominate centre clearances), which was highlighted by our inability to quell Stringer and Parish at stoppage last week, I was thinking whether we have anyone who is capable of playing as a tagger (or being developed to play as a tagger).

It's not in vogue these days, however I think there remains some value in having a playing who is capable of tagging an opposition mid when the midfield battle is stacked against you (which I think it is this week). If your tagger has a good game, you can effectively neutralise one of the opposition's prime movers, which usually forces the opposition to adjust their system.

Some players are hard to tag. For instance, I wouldn't tag Cripps as he's too big and effective at stoppage, regardless of his opponent. I would however entertain the idea of tagging Walsh, even if it's only for certain periods of the game.

To me the most obvious candidates are Beau and Crispy, however is it possible that someone like Oleg has the stamina and mentality required to apply a hard tag? I think you're giving too much up in other areas of our game by sending Beau or Crispy out to tag, but could see the utility in using one of our 'lesser lights' to attempt to even up the midfield battle.
I think Bytel played that role at Saints but we have him pegged as an outside runner

I think Carlton with the two rucks will stretch us. Moore will have his hands full with Curnow (or he should have his hands full - he might continue to peel off for little gain), Frampton with McKay and Howe will take the resting ruck as he always down. I'd have more confidence if Howe could run and jump at the footy but De Koning will be a threat and needs attention. Hoskin-Elliott probably needs to find his late 2023-form and play interceptor. Quaynor needs to find something this week too.

Would love to see De Goey pass his test and play time forward - something we haven't seen under McRae. Could drag a mid of theirs to the square which is a mismatch or he could take a better defender away from our smaller forwards. Sullivan to come in for Sidebottom for a fresh midfield rejig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not in vogue these days, however I think there remains some value in having a playing who is capable of tagging an opposition mid when the midfield battle is stacked against you (which I think it is this week). If your tagger has a good game, you can effectively neutralise one of the opposition's prime movers, which usually forces the opposition to adjust their system.

Walsh is a big accumulator so he would need to be the most restricted

Schultz

He's been given chances and hasn't taken them. Fin and Reef have failed to grasp opportunities starting in the 22. If Jordy and or Titch don't play then you'd think Sully will get a crack at it along with Fin.
Many chances?
1 was it not?
Thats singular.

Also reef has done pretty well, hasn't done anything wrong

We're aren't executing fundamental skills, which can be fixed very quickly, so there's still hope we can reach the lofty heights that we set last year. It was almost laughable every time JDG got the pill on Thursday.

Fly bangs on about executing the fundamentals well so no doubt they'll get it right.
not sure its quick fix ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back