Royal Eagles Draft Wants

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been against trading Lycett, but if you have a look at teams that have won flags over recent years a strong midfield is much more important.

Why couldn't NicNat be our main ruck and Kennedy play the Roughhead role? Having 2 gun ruckman has been nice, but most of the time it just means that the opposition roves to them anyway. Geelong haven't got any rucks of note but are close to flag favourites. Hawks have Hale... enough said.

If NN goes down, although we'd be limited in our replacements, Sinclair will do, or could get a second / third tier ruck from another club through free agency or something.

Getting another pick in the top 10 this year might not be a bad idea even if it does leave us thin in the ruck stocks.

1) Hawthorn have made it pretty clear they want Bailey and Hale as the ruckman leaving Roughhead and Franklin as tall fwd targets. (Hodge admitted as much OTC last night).

2) Having another top 10 pick in no way guarantees you getting the pick right - esp WC.

3) Lycett is a far better prospect than Sinclair and to place hope in "getting a 2nd/3rd tier ruckman from elsewhere" is foolish.

No doubt having another top 10 pick would be nice - just not at the expense of an up and coming ruckman. #1 however is a different story.

1) Hawthorn have made it pretty clear they want Bailey and Hale as the ruckman leaving Roughhead and Franklin as tall fwd targets. (Hodge admitted as much OTC last night).

2) Having another top 10 pick in no way guarantees you getting the pick right - esp WC.

3) Lycett is a far better prospect than Sinclair and to place hope in "getting a 2nd/3rd tier ruckman from elsewhere" is foolish.

No doubt having another top 10 pick would be nice - just not at the expense of an up and coming ruckman. #1 however is a different story.

Do you know if WCE are even contemplating it?

WE should test the market with Sinclair. We gave him enough games this year for opposition to see he could ruck and also go forward. Lycett is clearly the one with more talent and potential.

Hope like crazy we can nail this years draft, it could put us right on track for the next 5-7 years.

All true, and I have been against trading Lycett as I like what I see and want him to take over Cox's mantle.

The more I hear about this draft, the more likely it appears that there will be some steals in the mid to late first round, however I also agree that our drafting performance over recent years has been sub-par, so even if we were to obtain a low pick may it not be in our longer term interests.

It would need to be a very special deal to get Lycett anyway.

WE should test the market with Sinclair. We gave him enough games this year for opposition to see he could ruck and also go forward. Lycett is clearly the one with more talent and potential.

Most clubs aim to have a MINIMUM of 4 players capable of "rucking at some capacity" spread across their list. WC have the bare minimum with 1 at the wrong end of his career and another debilitated with groin issues. So why on earth is there a desire to trade 1 of the remaining 2 out ? All we do then is have to draft another one in.

Now that the AFL has official imposed a cap of 120 rotations a game i wonder if this will be effect our drafting needs? Sheed would be the perfect player to have as he would have the endurance to stay out there and not needing to on the bench all the time.

It is still 120 rotations. Not that big a change to what clubs have been operating at this year. If I was a betting man I would say we are on the south side of the average 130 rotations.

I was thinking about this after hearing about the 120cap. The league is averaging 131 rotations so its not that big of a deal unless players get injured. 5 years time it could be a bigger factor. To bad we've got all these endurance players I don't think it'll be that huge yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do we do to turn a top 10 pick (I presume their compensation pick) into pick 1, grab Boyd and play him as our backup ruck (with Kennedy occasionally pinch hitting and Sinclair in the reserves)?
It sounds so good in my head...

What do we do to turn a top 10 pick (I presume their compensation pick) into pick 1, grab Boyd and play him as our backup ruck (with Kennedy occasionally pinch hitting and Sinclair in the reserves)?
It sounds so good in my head...

That would be giving up a lot to actually worsen our situation.

I've said before that i think Sheed will end up with the Lions at 7 but I'm leaning more now that Brisbane will go for Matt Crouch which opens up the door for West Coast to select the Dom Sheed before Nathan Freeman.

Would be a tough decision because signs say both boys will be quality midfielders who are damaging when pressing forward but my vote would be for Freeman still. He is winning me over with that burst of speed from congestion where as Sheed is a bit "one paced" although plays like Pendlebury in that he seems to have more time than others.

Tough call for the recruiters but I think as the Western Bulldogs supporter mentioned in an earlier thread about our recruiting strategy that we may take the local lad Sheed

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/west-coast-recruiting-strategy.1025794/#post-29656633

If we were considering putting Lycett on the table at the end of 2013 than we can thank Nic Nat for going down early. I don't doubt that Lycett's trade value would have gone up in his past few matches

Remove this Banner Ad

Royal Eagles Draft Wants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back