Royal Eagles Draft Wants

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know how adding a talent as good as Tom Boyd would worsen our situation...

Trading out Lycett, one of the more promising ruck talents in the league, plus a best 22 player (which is what it would take) for Tom Boyd - an 18 year old key forward, who you want to play as a ruck. Kennedy also doesn't ruck and Sinclair is a poor ruckman at AFL level.

Boyd is a star but that's a massive sacrifice for a player we don't really need.

Trading out Lycett, one of the more promising ruck talents in the league, plus a best 22 player (which is what it would take) for Tom Boyd - an 18 year old key forward, who you want to play as a ruck. Kennedy also doesn't ruck and Sinclair is a poor ruckman at AFL level.

Boyd is a star but that's a massive sacrifice for a player we don't really need.

Boyd has played quite a bit as a relief ruck, and at 199cm, 102kg (still growing for all we know) he is almost the exact same size as Kreuzer, Clark, Maric, Vardy, Vickery and Pyke, among others. And I didn't say he would "play as a ruck", he would merely relieve Naitanui when necessary. Think Mitch Clark in particular, who when drafted was merely a ruck pinch-hitter.
Kennedy spent considerable time as a relief ruck at Carlton and shares a similar athletic/size profile to Roughead, whose ruck exploits are well known. He could also be called on to relieve if need be I'm sure.

Saying that Sinclair is a poor ruckman at AFL level has about as much basis as saying the same thing about Lycett 4 weeks ago.

I like Lycett and I think he'll become a good genuine ruckman, but he looks like spending most of his career in a forward pocket, as Seaby did in Cox's shadow. Will he excel in playing that role? I doubt it, personally; his second efforts, skills and spread in general play stand out much more than his forward work, but of course that could well change.

If flipping Lycett meant we could get our hands on a talent as big as Boyd, who could change the fortunes of whichever team selects him, I'd do it. As for "don't really need", I disagree. Our forward line has struggled with the absence of a lead-up outlet at CHF, which is something Kennedy could return to doing were we to have a genuine deep option like Boyd.

As for another first 22 player, I wouldn't have many qualms with Priddis or Waters accompanying him.

This is all strictly hypothetical of course.

Why is it the common view of many of the eagles supporters on all of these threads that we should trade waters and priddis, Waters was all Australian last year and only played 7 games this year and Priddis has been probably the most consistent and hard working player in the team this year, he has taken up all the slack from injured mids and mids playing under their capabilities.

Why is it the common view of many of the eagles supporters on all of these threads that we should trade waters and priddis, Waters was all Australian last year and only played 7 games this year and Priddis has been probably the most consistent and hard working player in the team this year, he has taken up all the slack from injured mids and mids playing under their capabilities.

Rookie tip, don't ask a guy called Eagle87 what he thinks about Priddis....

Dont get the Priddis issue at all - has been a shining light for us this year

Waters was an All Australian on the back of a good year where it looked like he'd finally sorted out his kicking (to some degree at least). On his form this year it seems 2012 was an aberration rather than an upward trend. He is just about the most diabolical and frustrating player in the comp with his decision making and disposal in the backline, giving up goals every week with utterly idiotic kicks across goals, going for hero marks in packs rather than staying on the deck and being dreadfully out of position on the counter attack. He may well prove me wrong and return to top form but I won't be holding my breath, and I'd be very much okay with using him as a trade piece to bolster the team with young talent.

On Priddis, he's just cancerous to our midfield in how one dimensional and inflexible he is. Statistically we're the third best clearance side in the comp, the second best tackling side and have the best ruck division around, and yet our midfield gets taken to the cleaners more often than not. This is because our clearances aren't effective enough, we don't spread well enough and we leak goals in midfield; all in part symptomatic of a midfield built around Priddis, who with his positional inflexibility is unable to play anywhere but the middle and so takes up a lot of midfield minutes. Having a player like Priddis is okay when the players around him can cover up his deficiencies, but the players we have can't in the same way that Judd, Cousins and Kerr could, or the way Swan, Pendlebury, Beams, Thomas and Sidebottom do for Ball at Collingwood. In this sense it's not his fault, but at the same time he's not worth persisting with, and certainly not on the basis of how hard he works and how good a clubman he is. He will have value to other clubs, and again I would have no trouble cashing him in for some young talent.

On Priddis, he's just cancerous to our midfield in how one dimensional and inflexible he is. Statistically we're the third best clearance side in the comp, the second best tackling side and have the best ruck division around, and yet our midfield gets taken to the cleaners more often than not. This is because our clearances aren't effective enough, we don't spread well enough and we leak goals in midfield; all in part symptomatic of a midfield built around Priddis, who with his positional inflexibility is unable to play anywhere but the middle and so takes up a lot of midfield minutes. Having a player like Priddis is okay when the players around him can cover up his deficiencies, but the players we have can't in the same way that Judd, Cousins and Kerr could, or the way Swan, Pendlebury, Beams, Thomas and Sidebottom do for Ball at Collingwood. In this sense it's not his fault, but at the same time he's not worth persisting with, and certainly not on the basis of how hard he works and how good a clubman he is. He will have value to other clubs, and again I would have no trouble cashing him in for some young talent.

Never been said better.

Waters was an All Australian on the back of a good year where it looked like he'd finally sorted out his kicking (to some degree at least). On his form this year it seems 2012 was an aberration rather than an upward trend...

On Priddis, he's just cancerous to our midfield in how one dimensional and inflexible he is. Statistically we're the third best clearance side in the comp, the second best tackling side and have the best ruck division around, and yet our midfield gets taken to the cleaners more often than not...

I'm sorry I can't buy the argument that someone had an AA year because they just happened to play way better than usual, for a whole season. We've really missed him - he actually goes for damaging kicks and only occasionally screws them up. He's still far and away a net benefit because he makes our ball movement, along with Hurn, infinitely better off half back. Not to mention all the hard stuff he does.

Priddis. I kind of agree with you but honestly it's proven players like him can play important roles in premierships. He's been great this year and better than almost all our other midfielders. He is not making Selwood fumble, he's not the reason Shuey and Gaff get tagged out of games. He's not making the midfield miss all their targets - including basic handballs. He's not making them give up the ball when tackled because they can't take the contact. Most of the time he hasn't even had the players on the spread to give it to due to injuries. Nor has he actually had the elite ruck duo you mentioned. If people think we are too focused on Priddis in the midfield that is 100% a coaching issue. There is absolutely a way to use him effectively we just aren't executing it.

I'm sorry I can't buy the argument that someone had an AA year because they just happened to play way better than usual, for a whole season. We've really missed him - he actually goes for damaging kicks and only occasionally screws them up. He's still far and away a net benefit because he makes our ball movement, along with Hurn, infinitely better off half back. Not to mention all the hard stuff he does.
Well why did he make AA last year having not been within a shout of it previously? The answer is that he addressed his biggest weakness- his disposal.
Shane Woewodin won a brownlow playing much better than usual, Brendan Goddard was considered one of the premier players in the comp for a little while, Mark Jamar didn't do much before getting All Australian selection and hasn't done much since, so on and so forth.
"Only occasionally" is a stretch when he's averaging 3.6 clangers a game with numerous occasions of goals coming as a direct result.
He was a net loss when playing this year, was of course comfortably a net gain last season and a marginal net gain the season before. What will he be this season? Personally I'd like to cash in on his present value if given the chance.

Priddis. I kind of agree with you but honestly it's proven players like him can play important roles in premierships. He's been great this year and better than almost all our other midfielders. He is not making Selwood fumble, he's not the reason Shuey and Gaff get tagged out of games. He's not making the midfield miss all their targets - including basic handballs. He's not making them give up the ball when tackled because they can't take the contact. Most of the time he hasn't even had the players on the spread to give it to due to injuries. Nor has he actually had the elite ruck duo you mentioned. If people think we are too focused on Priddis in the midfield that is 100% a coaching issue. There is absolutely a way to use him effectively we just aren't executing it.
Those players can play important roles in premierships when they have very good players around them.
"Great" is a big stretch. Kennedy, Masten and Mackenzie have been great, and Priddis certainly hasn't been as effectual as them.
Actually if he were better the taggers might tag him instead of Shuey and Gaff but that's a whole other issue.
He has to take credit for a good portion of missed targets, particularly by foot.
Spreading isn't only up to the outside players, it's a responsibility for Priddis too, and he is awful at it.
Granted the Priddis focus is a coaching issue, but he is the only mainstay in our midfield - Selwood is often tagging, Masten, Shuey and Wellingham spend just as much time on the flank and Kerr is always injured, lacking fitness or being heavily tagged. The strategy gravitates towards Priddis because he is always there, owing to his inability to play any position but midfield.
Given our already excellent clearance and tackle numbers, I don't know how anyone could argue that we'd be worse off giving more time to Masten, Shuey, Selwood and Wellingham and less time to Priddis.
Again this isn't blaming Priddis; if we had lots of pace, class and defensive aptitude in our midfield I'm sure we could carry his deficiencies, but we don't so we can't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is about draft wants.

Not the merits of Priddis.

At some point every thread becomes about Priddis, it seems.

You're right though, any chance we could talk about actual draftees in this thread people?

Shouldn't the issue be the other mids then. If Priddis cops it for being the shining light in our midfield, why don't the rest get more flack for not outdoing him?

Just a question, but could it be because he gets played there more often to the detriment of the development of our other mid prospects? From what ive seen, we often draft mid prospects who then spend most of thier time either being tried at half forward or half back to see if they can play that role, while Priddis stays in the middle and just bombs kicks out of the centre, mostly to the opposition.

Just a question, but could it be because he gets played there more often to the detriment of the development of our other mid prospects? From what ive seen, we often draft mid prospects who then spend most of thier time either being tried at half forward or half back to see if they can play that role, while Priddis stays in the middle and just bombs kicks out of the centre, mostly to the opposition.
Yeah of course he gets played there more often. I don't know these players you're referring to, but they're not forcing their way in by dominating WAFL a la Neale at Freo. Our midfield as a whole isn't great, the problems don't start and end with Priddis.

Yeah of course he gets played there more often. I don't know these players you're referring to, but they're not forcing their way in by dominating WAFL a la Neale at Freo. Our midfield as a whole isn't great, the problems don't start and end with Priddis.
I agree - we saw last year that when the others in the midfield step up that the group functions well. Blaming Priddis for our midfield woes is wrong

Our midfield depth doesn't exist anymore. We had three guys leave and we've had Embley and A.Selwood forced to the fringes.

At some point every thread becomes about Priddis, it seems.

You're right though, any chance we could talk about actual draftees in this thread people?

Could people take the hint, please? There's two dedicated Priddis threads already.

The reason gaff gets tagged every week is because its easy ! Doesn't win his own ball so all you need is someone to run with him all day and not let him be an option . If he was in getting his hands dirty around the packs he could win ball or get team mates to put blocks on to get some space but he doesn't !

I think that we need speed in the midfield and a genuine crumber down forward. Our midfield is currently made up of endurance players (Masten,Rosa,Gaff) and defensive or "in and under" types (Priddis, Scott Selwood, Hutchings). We need to get some pace in there !

Remove this Banner Ad

Royal Eagles Draft Wants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back