Ruckman who's available and what's there value.

Remove this Banner Ad

What if you can strengthen another weakness, particularly as you will still remain strong in the area that is currently a strength anyway?

Not a smart move from where I stand. My post was clear enough that history shows this would be turning a strength into a weakness. Carlton may have 3 ruckmen of AFL quality, but it's been very rare indeed that they've all been available at one point in time. Why spread ourselves thin now, just a handful of years after the club busted it's arse to get decent ruckmen at the club after being bereft of them for nigh on a decade.

Nope! Now is not the time. At least first go recruit a young rookie ruck and see how he goes in his first season. At least first get through a season when one of these guys is actually forced to play most of the season in the VFL through lack of opportunity. At least first let the situation settle and get a feel for the new rule and which of our ruckmen it's going to suit best. Shunting off one of them now wouldn't be a good move IMO.

Fair enough. Does Kosi merit a spot if he isn't back up rucking though? And is McEvoy + Hickey a bit too lumbering, especially if the AFL heads down the path of capped interchanges and a 2+2 substitute system?

I would've thought McEvoy and a pinch hitter that plays forward, ala Stanley, was the ideal set up.
It is pretty much unanimous on our board that Kosi isn't in the best 22 any more and that was before we even got Lee, or thought about Hickey. By the end of the year Wilkes was clearly outperforming him (even in the ruck!) and Justin spent the last two weeks out of the side altogether, even though Riewoldt was out injured. (So our forward line for the last couple was Wilkes, Stanley and Goddard, who took Roo's spot). Ideally he and Wilkes ought to have swapped by about R10.

Kos really hit the wall after that really good game he had against Hawthorn in round 6, when he clunked everything in sight, kicked 4 or 5 and got Brownlow votes, after he'd also been good in the first 5 rounds. That was the week McEvoy went down, from memory and Kosi was thrown into the ruck the next week (when Stanley, who'd had a very promising start to the year, also went down injured) and he just wasn't the same after that (even by about round 10 he was still top 3 in the comp for contested marks, though).

Either playing in the ruck really affected his output, Dawes-style, or he was playing with an injury that hasn't been revealed (and he was asked specifically late in the year if he was carrying anything and he said he was the fittest he'd been in ages), or he simply hit the wall. Either way, Wilkes was outperforming him clearly by the end of the season and if things continue on that way into next year, then the only way Kosi will be in the 22 come round one will be if he is picked on sentiment, or we have major injuries. He was a shadow of his former self by the end of the year. :(

As for Mac and Hickey, Hickey has only been playing the game for 4 years and the belief on the GC board is that he only played this year because of all the other injuries they had. Otherwise, they reckon he was still in need of time to develop in the ressies, to continue learning the game and so on. He played a ripper game against Collingwood on the MCG though, where he reportedly took 7 contested marks (most for the year I think) had 19 possies and 24 hitouts. I saw some of that game (the one where Gazza had 53 possies) and Hickey was the other thing I remembered out of the match. I hadn't really heard of him before, but he clunked everything in sight and I came away mighty impressed with his marking. It was like watching a thinner version of McEvoy taking those strong high marks.

He reportedly has a big tank, very good mobility (if anyone saw his dancing on the Footy Show Grand Final they'll know what I mean- he was extremely nimble for someone 201cm), plus a big leap (especially useful with the new ruck rules, with less grappling), so there is a lot to work with there. Most of it is just potential, though, TBF.

He is definitely more nimble than McEvoy, but there would be serious question marks as to whether they would be ever suited to playing consistently in the same side together. Mac has almost no leap though, so maybe we're getting Hickey with the hope that he will one day go past Mac, like Goldstein did to MacIntosh at North.

If he improves again next year and has a good run with games, Stanley could easily be our best option in the ruck next year, though (although he'll probably be played up forward, we've been grooming him to eventually take Roo's role). If you see the West Coast game against us, from early in the year, on Foxtel over summer, watch for the first quarter when he went head to head with Nic Nat. He was jumping just as high as Nic and convincingly won the hitouts at the centre bounces against him. They even noticed it and mentioned it in the commentary box, before he did his hammy at the end of the 1st quarter. He also did the same thing to Nic in the last quarter of our NAB Cup match over there a couple of months prior, when they went head to head for the whole last quarter. Nic beat him at the boundary throw-in's, thanks to his extra muscle, but at the centre bounces on both occasions, Rhys convincingly won the hitouts and was jumping just as high as him.

Before his back-to-back hamstrings, he played some very good footy early in the year, including a couple of 5-mark first quarters, playing as the "lead-up half forward", but he needs to start producing that sort of form for more than just a quarter at a time and he needs to stay on the park. Whether he has the tank for that, or will do, remains to be seen. Athletically, he is very, very difficult to match up on, though, thanks to his blistering speed for his height, huge leap and 202cm frame. He also kicks the ball 60m+ with seemingly very little effort, but his set shot kicking for goal this year was very inconsistent and needs to improve.

One thing is for sure though and that is that if he, Roo and Lee all have good years up forward next year and play most of the games, they'll be tough to match up on, all being so athletically gifted. If we can squeeze Wilkes in there as well, to provide the muscle and more size, then we could have some serious marking power up front, with hopefully Milne and Saad at their feet.

Not a smart move from where I stand. My post was clear enough that history shows this would be turning a strength into a weakness. Carlton may have 3 ruckmen of AFL quality, but it's been very rare indeed that they've all been available at one point in time. Why spread ourselves thin now, just a handful of years after the club busted it's arse to get decent ruckmen at the club after being bereft of them for nigh on a decade.

Nope! Now is not the time. At least first go recruit a young rookie ruck and see how he goes in his first season. At least first get through a season when one of these guys is actually forced to play most of the season in the VFL through lack of opportunity. At least first let the situation settle and get a feel for the new rule and which of our ruckmen it's going to suit best. Shunting off one of them now wouldn't be a good move IMO.

Fair enough.

I guess you will find out in 2013 where you stand.

Apparently we are interested in Stefan Martin. One would think pick 33 is about fair?

That would be more than fair I would have thought.

Some options:
Currie is likely going to the draft (national that is)

Seaby could go to the rookie draft

David Hille for any top 5 club that needs a ruckman. Would come cheap.

If any club looks at Cam Wood, North can offer up Matt Campbell as another ruck option. Both as useless.

On a side note, and very speculative-I reckon Collingwood (picks 18, 19 and 21 and some handy depth players) should look at Scott Lycett.

Doubt West Coast would let him go, and from what I've heard he wouldn't want to move anywhere, but he would be worth looking into. Something like pick 18 and Fasolo (highly rated WA youngster) would have to get the Eagles considering their options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough.

I guess you will find out in 2013 where you stand.

That would be more than fair I would have thought.

Agreed, has shown potential and had a pretty good year last year from memory. Fans on our board are going a bit hectic at the thought of giving up pick 33 for a player they have heard little about. But that happens on every board doesn't it?

Doubt West Coast would let him go, and from what I've heard he wouldn't want to move anywhere, but he would be worth looking into. Something like pick 18 and Fasolo (highly rated WA youngster) would have to get the Eagles considering their options.
So we effectively give West Coast Wellingham and Fasolo for Scott Lycett?

I guess there's a reason why we pay Walsh and Hine money, and you nothing.

Saints apparently keen on Warnock. What do you reckon would get the trade done? Id say hes worth around about pick 18-25 especially with the new rules coming in which will suit him. Ur goddard compo would be way overs for him but you dont have any other picks

Saints apparently keen on Warnock. What do you reckon would get the trade done? Id say hes worth around about pick 18-25 especially with the new rules coming in which will suit him. Ur goddard compo would be way overs for him but you dont have any other picks

They have pick 25....

The Big O has been delisted by Geelong. The West rumours must have no substance as they would have held fire on that if West was even the slightest chance to leave.

I would trade Cox for a top 5 pick. He would only have a year or 2 left and Naitanui couldn't learn much more from him. WC would never do it though plus he's under contract and I doubt he'd ever agree to go.

More importantly, no club would ever trade a top 5 pick away for someone who has only 1-2 years of footy left in him...

Remove this Banner Ad

Ruckman who's available and what's there value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back