Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

dave chappelle drugs GIF

Milky ways indeed !

Slobby has probably blocked 50,000 people. Can't take any of it.

Love when some prick got into him at the pub
Yeah I’m definitely not the only one he would’ve blocked. But to block someone for talking positively about one aspect of a team getting pummeled by 100 every week?

Not like I was calling him a fat drunk count.

I saw Kane Cornes in a grocery store yesterday.

I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a pain and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

I had a similar experience with Ryan Gosling.

Genuine as they come. Was in a checkout line behind him and his partner at KMart and he heard me whisper to my son (about 7 at the time) “look, it’s Dayne Zorko”.

Zorks turned around and sparked up a conversation, crouched down at eye level with my son, talked to him excitedly about whatever plastic generic toy my son was holding ready to buy.

Awesome little interaction.

Made me feel really guilty that I’ve actually been blocked by Zorko on Twitter for years now after teeing-off at him for going on the radio during our bottom-of-the-ladder period and saying we didn’t need or want a priority pick.
Probably got on an intellectual level with your son, too.

Work as a bartender, looked after a few players/personalities over the years…

Nicest- Ricky Nixon, Sam Mitchell, Nathan Buckley

Rudest- Brandon Goddard (never meet your heroes), Jack Riewoldt (nonchalant tosser), Dusty (too cool for human interaction, a simple yes or no would suffice instead of expecting me to be telepathic 😂)

Seems like an obvious one, but the best interaction I've had with a player was Joel Selwood.
During an open training session I quickly introduced him to my 6y/o daughter (who was petrified!). Joel knelt down and had a good 5 minute chat with her, completely putting her at ease, and by the end they were chatting away like old friends. She walked away absolutely beaming.
We were in a long line of people he did that to on that day, but nonetheless that interaction felt sincere and utterly genuine. In that moment it was about him making sure my daughter had a great experience.
It's a cliche now, but he really is a great guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been to a few Brisbane Lions player sponsor nights in the past 5 years

Nice #1 - Dayne Zorko - bugger me he's shorter than me but a lovely conversationalist
Nice #2 - The Suitcase - spent ages talking to Hugh about our Western District of VIC country bumpkin upbringings, both going to HS in Ballarat (years apart) and both hating driving in Brisbane city cos city drivers are ******* LOL
Nice #3 - Matho - absolute cracking bloke loved talking about the Geelong area where he grew up and fishing for snapper, whiting and flathead (this is where i used to spend summer holidays learning to fish and water ski)

Rudest - Dan McStay, Tom Bell and Zac Bailey wouldn't give you the light of day and thought their poop didn't stink

In the AFL space:

Nicest: Anthony Hudson, Mark Soderstrom, Max Gawn, Mark Riccuito.

Worse: Kane Cornes and Steven Rowe

I've had a decent run and since 2020 have met Lachie Neale, Luke Hodge, Brayden Maynard, Dane Swan, Callan Ward and Josh Kelly.

All top guys, but Lachie was definitely the stand out. It was in Brisbane before his Brownlow win and the Lions being good again...a few punters at the restaurant asked me afterwards if he played for the Broncos 😜.

All encounters took place in Brisbane, Byron or Sydney so the thing they have in common is the shock at being recognised. Imagine being Luke Hodge and feeling thrown when a random walks up for a chat.
I find that surprising since your face is watched by millions of viewers each weekend on channel 7.

Have been to a few Brisbane Lions player sponsor nights in the past 5 years

Nice #1 - Dayne Zorko - bugger me he's shorter than me but a lovely conversationalist
Nice #2 - The Suitcase - spent ages talking to Hugh about our Western District of VIC country bumpkin upbringings, both going to HS in Ballarat (years apart) and both hating driving in Brisbane city cos city drivers are ******* LOL
Nice #3 - Matho - absolute cracking bloke loved talking about the Geelong area where he grew up and fishing for snapper, whiting and flathead (this is where i used to spend summer holidays learning to fish and water ski)

Rudest - Dan McStay, Tom Bell and Zac Bailey wouldn't give you the light of day and thought their poop didn't stink
Zac Bailey does give you cocky vibes...in the vein of Tom Papley. But I kind of think it does help them play better.

Yeah I’m definitely not the only one he would’ve blocked. But to block someone for talking positively about one aspect of a team getting pummeled by 100 every week?

Not like I was calling him a fat drunk count.

Sounds like you wasted your tweet :)

You wont find a better bloke than Dipper. Made his mistakes in the past but owned up to them and is a better man for it. Has a heart of gold and genuinely talks to anyone who wants to. Far different from his own field persona.
I've met dipper once for 30 minutes. Remembered my name when I bumped into him at the races literally 2 years later. Ripper bloke.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've met dipper once for 30 minutes. Remembered my name when I bumped into him at the races literally 2 years later. Ripper bloke.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep. Takes a genuine interest in the other person in a conversation. No ego. Very life of the party but in a good way. Puts his arm around your shoulders makes you feel comfortable. That was the interaction I had. Hold him in high esteem even more than before.

I worked for Footscray in the carpark at Western Oval, as a teenager many moons ago.

Tony Libba - Absolute flog of a bloke.
Chris Grant - One of the nicest guys I have met.
Doug Hawkins - Absolute legend and very funny.
Sam Newman - w***er.
Rex Hunt - Crude but funny and polite.

As an adult have met many Pies player but the best was Scott Cummings by far - Champion bloke.

The last couple of years, I have been playing Celebrity Golf events with quite a few.
Dipper - Loves himself to the point of taking the p*ss - Really good bloke
Dunstall - Better bloke than I thought he would be, actually quite funny and generous with his time.
Michael Tuck - Was awestruck with the great man but is a man of the people, Loves a drink.
Mark McClure - Sellers doesn't give much but after a few drinks, he loosens up.

Best of all played cricket.
Merv Hughes - What a man and can hit a ball too.
Loves a punt and is great to catch up with.

I didn’t actually meet him, but here’s an obvious one.

I saw Eddie Betts try and help someone fix their car for a good 45 mins in a Coles car park a few years ago. I saw them as I walked in to do my shopping and he was still there helping when I came out. His whole family were in the car quietly waiting for him as well.

I’ve always heard he is a great bloke but this absolutely confirmed it.

Anyone else find it massively endearing that David Rodan does odd jobs for hire agencies?

Now, in my head, he rent a cheap, cardboard built townhouse in Spotswood and has $844 in the account when payday comes around.

There seems to be a massive correlation between players that grew up in the country being down to earth and good blokes and the players that grew up in the APS / metro environments being FIGJAMS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back