Rugby League - who knows what?

Remove this Banner Ad

bulltige

Debutant
Jul 6, 2002
Other Teams
Richmond - Bradford
Is living in Sydney akin to a life in Siberia? Judging by a lot of the posts on this board the only conclusion must be YES!

How far have nicko and his north shore sidekick briedis travelled?

Show me how ignorant we none harboursiders really are. :D

someone like you claim to be an expert about australian culture, and why or why not people go to league here. it is frankly obvious you havent got a clue. i go to all parts of sydney every weekend to play cricket, and the nightclubs afterwards. ive seen the sort of social culture all over sydney, and if you ever picked up a newspaper down here, youd see a gang rape/shooting/ drug bust every day in either bankstown or cabramatta. dont claim to have a clue btige, you dont. and do you really think that league is presently the number one sport down here?? give yourself an uppercut, go talk superleague to the other 3,000 that rock up.

Originally posted by nicko18
someone like you claim to be an expert about australian culture, and why or why not people go to league here. it is frankly obvious you havent got a clue. i go to all parts of sydney every weekend to play cricket, and the nightclubs afterwards. ive seen the sort of social culture all over sydney, and if you ever picked up a newspaper down here, youd see a gang rape/shooting/ drug bust every day in either bankstown or cabramatta. dont claim to have a clue btige, you dont. and do you really think that league is presently the number one sport down here?? give yourself an uppercut, go talk superleague to the other 3,000 that rock up.

How do you really know what I know? You are a mere child next to me, your experience is extremely limited. Have you ever left Australia? how old are you SUNNY! You have shown us all how limited your experience is. I'm surprised your experience spreads as far as Cabramatta, how about Mt Druitt? Ever noticed when I'm online? For a silvertail, you aint that bright. ;)

Originally posted by bulltige

How do you really know what I know? You are a mere child next to me, your experience is extremely limited. Have you ever left Australia? how old are you SUNNY! You have shown us all how limited your experience is. I'm surprised your experience spreads as far as Cabramatta, how about Mt Druitt? Ever noticed when I'm online? For a silvertail, you aint that bright. ;)

why do you take such an interest in australia. are you a frustrated pom? i think so

Originally posted by GH_

why do you take such an interest in australia. are you a frustrated pom? i think so

Well, if I kew what a pom was maybe I'd be able to answer you. Care to enlighten me?

Nicho Nicho Nicho

Nicholas,
So you want to tell us that afl is the no.1 sport in Sydney...now is that what you want to say to us:D :rolleyes:

Nicholas,
You state 3,000 rock up to rugby league games.....do you mean to the lower grades, or you actually getting your data all ascue:confused:

Re: Nicho Nicho Nicho

Originally posted by Ms.Storm

Nicholas,
So you want to tell us that afl is the no.1 sport in Sydney...now is that what you want to say to us:D :rolleyes:

Nicholas,
You state 3,000 rock up to rugby league games.....do you mean to the lower grades, or you actually getting your data all ascue:confused:

You tell him Ms Storm, 8 or 9 thousand regularly get to the one and only Rugby League match played in Melbourne every second weekend. It is such a hit down here that Aussie Rules fans are leaving that sport in oh well...dozens...to get on to the classy, skillful, and entertaining game Rugby League is.
Ribot and Johns have done a marvellous job since winning the premiership. The popularity and attendances for the Storm have well, just skyrocketed, haven't they?

Re: Nicho Nicho Nicho

Originally posted by Ms.Storm

Nicholas,

Nicholas,

shows you never paid attention in english classes. i explicity (spelt it out) that they were super league crowds. i never ever said afl is the number one sport in sydney, cricket is by light years.

In answer to Bulltige's Original question, No it isnt.

Its the middle of winter and Iam sitting here in shorts, shirt and light jumper, but some people will make any excuse not to get to a ground.

and Cricket is definetly NOT the No.1 sport in Sydney. If beer was banned at the SCG they'll be two people and dog attending a one day cricket match. Plus the junior playing numbers for cricket are nowhere near Football's (Soccer, real football) or Rugby Leagues.

Rugby League still is the Number One Sport in Sydney, but the gap is closing.

Originally posted by St. Tuttler
In answer to Bulltige's Original question, No it isnt.

Its the middle of winter and Iam sitting here in shorts, shirt and light jumper, but some people will make any excuse not to get to a ground.

and Cricket is definetly NOT the No.1 sport in Sydney. If beer was banned at the SCG they'll be two people and dog attending a one day cricket match. Plus the junior playing numbers for cricket are nowhere near Football's (Soccer, real football) or Rugby Leagues.

Rugby League still is the Number One Sport in Sydney, but the gap is closing.

only light beer is sold at one day games. your kidding yourself if you think they go for the light beer.

and by the way, how did you get at the conclusion that rugby league is the most popular sport in sydney. please explain. i can count on the number of btige's iq points the number of times league gets a mention during cricket season, wheras todays paper had a full page on warney, talked about steve waugh etc..

Re: Re: Nicho Nicho Nicho

Originally posted by Joffaboy

You tell him Ms Storm, 8 or 9 thousand regularly get to the one and only Rugby League match played in Melbourne every second weekend. It is such a hit down here that Aussie Rules fans are leaving that sport in oh well...dozens...to get on to the classy, skillful, and entertaining game Rugby League is.
Ribot and Johns have done a marvellous job since winning the premiership. The popularity and attendances for the Storm have well, just skyrocketed, haven't they?

Crowd figures the Swans would have been envious of when they first moved up and during their "dry" years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Re: Re: Nicho Nicho Nicho

Originally posted by Dr Zaius

Crowd figures the Swans would have been envious of when they first moved up and during their "dry" years.

as i remember someone pointing out to me before on this site, the swans initial crowds were regularly in excess of 15,000, sometimes getting near 35,000.

the storm have had 29 crowds under 10,000 since their inception (this includes 12 out of their last 15 games), compared to the swans having 15 below 10000 in their first 5 years since moving up

I think the Prisoner Of her Majesty is a recent thing. Twenty or so years ago, scholars couldn't agree where it came from.

Originally posted by Brett Li

Surely that describes Aussies?:confused:

no, it actually described the convicts, and the convicts are seen by aussies as being english. they were born and raised over there, hence the pom being a reference to an englishman. it was under the english value system that these guys chose to lead a life of crime. it was no fault of australia's.

is it really true that you people have never heard the term pom? i thought you guys were taking the ****

There are actually they all live in Bondi, they make little attempt to integrate with the local population & their crimes consist of public drunkeness & continual singing of 'Eng-er-land,Eng-er -land'

yeah, some thought it was prisoner of mother england

I also had heard that pommy had been derived from the pommy granit ( spell check ) the nut of the english tree, but in any case a lot of the covicts who were bought to OZ were of irish descent and im sure they would not want to be called poms.

Basically the only sport they are interested in is soccer ----and it gives them a excuse to riot and get drunk because its such a boring game---------the poms are absolutely pathetic at most other games in comparison to their population---- re-- rugby, rugby league, hockey, swimming, athletics (except west indian immigrants ) cricket etc etc etc .

Its rather ironic really because a lot of sports were actully formalised in england.

As far as im concerned the sooner we get rid of the union jack of our flag the better ( nothing to do with reply but i just wanted to say it)

Pomegranate, the nut of the english tree? whadafunk?

As far as a the more sensible point about the irishness of the convicts, they would have been prisoners of her majesty, as as far as I'm aware, Ireland was a dominion of the Commonwealth.

Ok, sensible stufff over. Back to Fab Phil. You don't want to be part of the commonwealth because we suck at sport?, is that your clouded point?. I'm sooo fed up with this line of arguement and have said so before. You guys are good at sport but still its not enough to get rid of your chip (some of you)

As for the general pommie, mud throwing don't hate us cos we suck. We don't hate australia for producing no decent music bands, do we? (name me one quality band that stands up!)

Ever heard of the radiators ------- a fantastic live band --or they were----dont know if there still going but in any case whats that got to do with sport and surely any aussie that can slap 2 spoons ( and believe me a lot can ) together has more talent than any band your country has produced in the last 10 years.

I never said we didnt want to be part of the commonwealth-----it gives us a great deal of satisfaction -------(although lately were starting to feel sorry for your obvious lack of sporting ability at most games) to whip your ass at the Commonwealth games

The Radiators...............ha ha ha h ah a ha ha ha h ah a ha ha h ah a

Read the following slowly and tell me we are not a musical country:
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Cream

Recent years:
Stone Roses
Oasis
The Verve
Radiohead
Jamiroquai
Dido
Massive Attack

Lets' not go there you silly little boy...AC/Dc? INXS? Savage Garden?........The Radiators?!!!!!

Back to the core argument. You want to be part of the commonwealth?. You don't want our flag?. You are a 6th generation aussie who thinks it's ridiculous to sing god save the queen but want the commonwealth?.

Confusing?
:confused:

Any reason youre so condesending Brett with you silly little boy comment i happen to like the radiators you fat pale pork pie eating ***.

Really Brett we shouldnt have to revert to name calling to make a point but i can go there if you make it that way

I did state in the last 10 years regarding decent british bands and to a degree i stand by that.

I thought i would not have to mention bands such as AC/ DC etc etc etc as you would have heard of them and by the look of your reply -well you had---- but possibly if you hadnt heard of the radiators------- you might enjoy there music, just as early midnight oil, cold chisel has a real OZ feel to there music.

The other more important point is that most australians want to be part of the commonwealth because of the sporting, cultural and business ties but dont get that CONFUSED with being part of the british empire.

And yes it is ridiculous that australians at one time sang god save the queen and it is ridiculous that the union jack is on our flag

I can get more condescending. Like pointing out that you started the insults:
"surely any aussie that can slap 2 spoons ( and believe me a lot can ) together has more talent than any band your country has produced in the last 10 years. "

"and it gives them a excuse to riot and get drunk because its such a boring game---------the poms are absolutely pathetic at most other games in comparison to their population---- re-- rugby, rugby league, hockey, swimming, athletics (except west indian immigrants ) cricket etc etc etc . "

Face facts white boy-------there all above

fat? pale?...you've obviously never seen me.

Since when have you sung "God save the Queen"?. As far as I'm aware doen't "Advance Australia Fair" get sung as a national anthem?.

I sincerly hope you don't think you are part of the british empire. We, as British, don't think we have an empire....is there something we should know about?

I think you have the impression that we think we are something special, as brits, our empire, our queen etc...I really don't feel that we are particularly proud nation. Which is really why I feel this mud-throwing is rather wasted.

As for the Aussie Rock, I don't think it get much time beyond your shores, but i'll have look next time I'm in HMV:D

It will be a very funny day when England becomes a republic and Australia is still a constitutional monarchy (dont laugh, it will probably happen). At least the Queen will have somewhere to live when that happens :D :D.

I am a staunch republican and would love to see Oz become a republic, but the flag is OK. It harks back to our cruel and barbaric past when the british upper classes consigned the starving masses of England and the shoeless people of Ireland to the old penal colonies in Oz. Perhaps something on the flag celebrating our indegeneous population would be appropriate.

As for some of the bands you stated. Most of the 60's bands like the Stones and Cream just stole black American music and made it OK cause whities were doing it (same old story).
And since when has Jimi Hendrix been English?
And since when has Dido been a band, I thought she was an English sheila witha lilting voice.

You forget one of the most influencial bands of modern music in the Saints.Hailed as the by many as the uinfluence behind the Punk and new Wave eras in Britian and compared to the Clash and Damned as the greatest of these bands.

The so called Aussie bands you named AC/DC (Scottish really) and INXS (totally crap) are ordinary nowdays but still compares favourably with some of those Pommy bands you have named over the past ten years.

Oasis, the Verve and Stone Roses are all a bunch of arse bandits (thanks Harry Einfield) who are totally talentless.
Jamiroquai looks like bloody Cat in a hat with a drum machine with only one setting (dance) and a Stevie Wonder voiced wannabee.

Massive Attack are always interesting, but you forgot the best Pommy band of the last decade Blur.

Still we have Kylie and Dannii - so there :p :p :p

Loved growing up in the '80's in Australia with all the pub rock bands - Cold Chisel, Hunters & Collectors, Midnight Oil, The Radiators, Australian Crawl, Paul Kelly etc etc.

Didn't really listen to anything foreign. The fact these were Oz bands that noone overseas knew about was part of why we loved them. They were ours. Live shows was what it was all about.

Glad all this dance rubbish wasn't around back then. Now it is almost impossible to see decent live sweaty rock. The venues are all poker machine palaces or full of would be gangstas doing drug deals and planning gang rapes to doof doof 'music'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rugby League - who knows what?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back