Rules For Nudity and Sex On FTA Television In Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I have had a look around but i cant find the exact rules for nudity on FTA television on Australia. Everything ive read has been extremely vague. I remmebr seeing nudity on Getaway once when they went to a nude beach and it was on at 7:30pm and had a PG rating. I was just wondering what levels of nudity and sex are allowed for each rating in Australia (ie G, PG, M, M15+, MA) and what are the limits to what is allowed to be shown on Free To Air networks?

Thanks for any assistance.

Re: Rules For Nudity and Sex On FFA Television In Australia?

The Football Federation Australia (FFA) have their own TV channel? :confused:

I think you mean FTA Television, not FFA Television!! ;)

The code of conduct on the freetv.com.au applies only to the FTA commercial stations. The ABC and SBS are not bound by it, which is how SBS gets away with showing a lot more than the commercial stations. Not sure what the rules are for Community TV, if any.

Also, there is a rule that says content that would otherwise not be allowed can be shown if it is a public interest story in a news or current affairs show. Channel Nine used this as the excuse to show Gordon Ramsay saying f@%$ (uncensored) a lot during a 60 Minutes piece dedicated to the fact that Gordon Ramsay says f@%$ a lot, and that he could be seen saying f@%$ a f@%$ of a lot right here on Channel Nine later on this week. Thankfully, they resisted the urge to show him naked, but I think they could have justified nudity the same way.

I could be wrong but in terms of classification I believe it depends on context and whether the nudity is "sexual" in nature.

If it a documentary/information show (like Getaway) and they show a nude beach that would get a pass because it is not "sexual" in nature, rather it is informative. So in such a case it can air in a G/PG show. Same in the case of medical shows and other documentary/information shows.

If it was a drama about two naked people on a beach doing things of a "sexual" nature then it would have to air under a M, MA15+ or AV15+.

PG stuff can only air between 8:30am-4:00pm and 7:00pm-6:00am

M stuff can only air between 8:30pm-5:00am (and school days between) 12:00-3:00pm.

MA15+ stuff can only air between 9:00pm-5:00am and AV15+ between 9:30pm and 5:00am.

There are slightly different rules for weekends and the ABC but I can't be asseed typing them out as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rules For Nudity and Sex On FTA Television In Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back