Expansion "Ruling the World" - 60 Minutes article on AFL - well worth watching

Remove this Banner Ad

Its fair game because they are outlandish comments.

As I mentioned above - 20,000 kids playing AFL in South Africa??? What a crock. There is only one league with 4 teams set up in the whole country. Those 20,000 are kids that have attended clinics. Its like saying that Australia's 3m children all play Aussie Rules because they attended clinics during their Physical Education classes.

AFL needs to get seriour or STFU with regards to its plans to expand the playing/supporter base overseas. Biggest issue is simply getting access to fields to play on. You would think South Africa would be okay with all its cricket ovals but they are playing modified versions on Rugby grounds. Hardly the way to produce a fertile feeding ground of future stars!

Its fair game because they are outlandish comments.

As I mentioned above - 20,000 kids playing AFL in South Africa??? What a crock. There is only one league with 4 teams set up in the whole country. Those 20,000 are kids that have attended clinics. Its like saying that Australia's 3m children all play Aussie Rules because they attended clinics during their Physical Education classes.

AFL needs to get seriour or STFU with regards to its plans to expand the playing/supporter base overseas. Biggest issue is simply getting access to fields to play on. You would think South Africa would be okay with all its cricket ovals but they are playing modified versions on Rugby grounds. Hardly the way to produce a fertile feeding ground of future stars!

That's not correct. the Footywild is a continuing program with those participants. They may not be formal leagues.

What exactly are you expecting the AFL to do in Sth Africa? I reckon they've done a good job to introduce the sport from nothing. You have to create structured competitions from grass roots, but first you need the grass roots, sort out the keen players, and develop from there.

How does expanding the game overseas help us?

I think its just the AFL exercising growth for its own sake and stroking their own egos at the same time.

Is the ultimate aim to relegate Australian footy to 2nd rate status with all our best players playing for rich overseas club, just like soccer?
Australia will always be the centrepiece of the game. A successful overseas development push will have more to do with importing top players to the AFL than exporting them overseas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion "Ruling the World" - 60 Minutes article on AFL - well worth watching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back