Carlton are the one to watch out for - They can win The Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Things have changed very rapidly this season - I think there are still some ebbs and flows left in 2024.

Three weeks ago it was apparently a two horse race - Sydney were two games clear in top spot, with Carlton second. The Bombers had just beaten Collingwood to steady themselves in the top 4. Meanwhile, both Hawthorn and the Bulldogs copped 50 point beltings to have their finals hopes 'ended'.

Two weeks before that Port dropped to 7th after losing by 10 goals at home to 13th placed Brisbane, and Geelong's 9 goal loss to Carlton was their 6th in seven matches and seemed to confirm they were sliding towards the abyss.

Carlton's form has been poor in the last month, compounded by some frustrating injuries and bad team selection decisions. The losses also haven't been THAT bad:
  • two goals to GWS away wasn't a bad game at the end of a very strong 6 weeks.
  • 14 points against the Bulldogs with Curnow kicking 3.7 (4 behinds in the last quarter) - looks a lot better a couple of weeks down the track.
  • 14 points against a Port team that just beat Sydney by 100+ after having to make 4 key changes to injury.
  • 3 points against a fired up Collingwood, in Pendlebury's 400th, after losing two players to injury in the first quarter (and with McGovern botching a chance to win after the siren).
None of those are terrible losses and I don't think we were outclassed in any of them. Form, confidence and structure have looked a bit off and teams have been able to take away enough of our strengths to put us on the back foot.

I don't know if we can turn it around - the pressure is certainly going to mount now, and we just can't seem to get any stability in personnel on the field, with Cerra/Cottrell likely out again, and other just looking beaten up. The road to a premiership now means winning at least one, if not two finals interstate, and that's a tough path.

The season seems wide open, though - there's 10 teams who are pretty even (maybe 11 if you count Melbourne), and who knows what happens from here.

I don't know if we can turn it around - the pressure is certainly going to mount now, and we just can't seem to get any stability in personnel on the field, with Cerra/Cottrell likely out again, and other just looking beaten up. The road to a premiership now means winning at least one, if not two finals interstate, and that's a tough path.

The season seems wide open, though - there's 10 teams who are pretty even (maybe 11 if you count Melbourne), and who knows what happens from here.

Feel like a few of the other top 5 or 6 teams can cover their key players better than Carlton. Seem to rely on a "big 6", a bit like the Saints in 08-10, bottom 6 - 8 in the 22 not at same level as Sydney/Brisbane/Freo.

Last week and this week are very much like finals like games for the Blues.

Which explains why Charlie has shit the bed and gone missing.
He will kick seven against the Tigers early next season and the Blues fans will rub one out thinking about him, but he is a pea heart who will never dominate a high pressure game.

Cripps and Weiters needs to ask for a trade, the only players on that team who give a shit.

They'll always have their June premiership.
Can't believe they still go down that route. It used to irk me when Scott used to do the same years ago when we'd fail in finals.

Nobody cares if your best is good enough. Most clubs at their best are good enough to win it.

You don't win premierships doing that. It's what you provide consistently week to week, and in the finals.

Heck, even North have played scintillating football that would trouble the contenders at times this year. It doesn't mean anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow imagine having the list they do and the crowning glory being last years preliminary(ship)

Voss over RTB was always the wrong call
I’m just loving vossy fooling everyone long enough to get that extension that should run just long enough to totally waste this blues list before another inevitable rebuild is required

trainwreck GIF

First time this year that they've sat outside the top 8. They still have two winnable games to come, but then so do Hawthorn and the Bulldogs. I doubt anyone thought (until recently) that Carlton may miss the finals this year. I certainly didn't.

So what happens if they miss? Does Vossy get the bullet or will they give him another chance?

First time this year that they've sat outside the top 8. They still have two winnable games to come, but then so do Hawthorn and the Bulldogs. I doubt anyone thought (until recently) that Carlton may miss the finals this year. I certainly didn't.

So what happens if they miss? Does Vossy get the bullet or will they give him another chance?

Will get another year but pressure will be on from the start. I always thought they would be better next year but they still need to work on their team/blend of players and consistency. When it's working it's great but over a long season and finals it can be more about what you're like at your worst than best.

Nah we're cooked. Charlie will be out for the rest of the season so they may as well play the kids and get him and TDK 100% for 2025.

Voss stays, assistants change imo. List changes and new fitness boss the major changes.

Nah we're cooked. Charlie will be out for the rest of the season so they may as well play the kids and get him and TDK 100% for 2025.

Voss stays, assistants change imo. List changes and new fitness boss the major changes.

Freo may be the one that miss out looking at the draw, Carlton have West Cast and St.Kilda (not a certainty) and Freo have GWS away and Port at home. Still Carlton should have been looking at top four not to long ago now they may struggle to even finish eight!

Freo may be the one that miss out looking at the draw, Carlton have West Cast and St.Kilda (not a certainty) and Freo have GWS away and Port at home. Still Carlton should have been looking at top four not to long ago now they may struggle to even finish eight!
Same as Sydney, wheels totally fallen off. Luckily Sydney looked to have found some mojo the other night.

Blues, Dons, Pies and Freo have completely cooked their ends to the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton are the one to watch out for - They can win The Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back